Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How to get a hotel room in Baltimore when it's all booked up? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-to-get-a-hotel-room-in-baltimore-when-its-all-booked-up-536259/)

kaudrey Jun 13th, 2005 05:31 AM

How to get a hotel room in Baltimore when it's all booked up?

Hi,

I am trying to find some way to get a hotel room in the Inner Harbor in Baltimore for July 9th. EVERYTHING is booked. I have searched Individual hotel websites, pricelines, hotels.com, orbitz, travelocity, expedia, hotwire, cheaptickets, hotelclub.net, lastminutetravel.com and various others.

It's not even that the prices are too high, it's that everything is "unavailable". Anyone have any ideas, or is this a hopeless cause?

Thanks,
Karen

MikeT Jun 13th, 2005 06:53 AM

Do you have to stay in the Inner Harbor?

kaudrey Jun 13th, 2005 07:17 AM

Hi Mike,

Yes, I want to stay in the Inner Harbor. We have tickets to the Orioles/Red Sox games on both Saturday and Sunday, with dinner plans after the game Saturday.

If we can't stay in the Inner Harbor, we might as well just drive home, because we live outside of DC. We were just hoping to make it a mini-vacation" by staying overnight. There would be no point in spending money on a hotel that we have to drive to, kind of defeats the purpose.

So, that's why I'm being picky.

Any thoughts?

Karen

HowardR Jun 13th, 2005 07:25 AM

When you say Inner Harbor hotels are sold out, how much of the surrounding area are you including? There are hotels within walking distance (i.e., a few blocks) from the Inner Harbor and the ballpark.

TxTravelPro Jun 13th, 2005 07:29 AM

I show availability at the following property, 5 miles away.

QUALITY INN AND SUITE THE CARLY
500 WEST UNIVERSITY PARKWAY
BALTIMORE MD 21210

ABC Corporate Services has a blocked space program, but you would have tp find an agency with access...

kaudrey Jun 13th, 2005 07:33 AM

Howard - I have looked at everything within walking distance of Inner Harbor and Camden Yards (which to me is about a mile or so - way more than "a few blocks"). There is nothing available, which is why I am asking the question here. Do you know of a vacancy somewhere?

TxTravelPro - 5 miles is too far away -that's not the Inner Harbor, but thanks anyway.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Karen

ronkala Jun 13th, 2005 09:22 AM

Have you called the hotels direct?

jlm_mi Jun 13th, 2005 09:37 AM

Also, if you haven't tried the big online travel agents, try that. (travelocity, expedia, orbitz, hotels.com, etc.)

I've gotten rooms through them (at really good rates even) when the hotel website indicated they were fully booked.

Leona Jun 13th, 2005 09:38 AM

It is very possible that they want to try to book two night weekends, and have no availability for Saturday only. Why not try to reserve Friday & Saturday nights?

msr3017 Jun 13th, 2005 10:00 AM

If all else fails try some of the small inns at Fells Point. You can take a taxi or water shuttle (I think) to get to the game. Admiral Fell Inn is an example of the kinds of places over there.

massagediva Jun 13th, 2005 11:25 AM

I hate to admit defeat,kaudrey,but I think you're out of luck here.I checked several of the hotels I know,and they were all booked(which came as a surprise to me.) If you find something,let us know! ((f))

kaudrey Jun 14th, 2005 03:51 AM

Thanks everyone. Yes, I tried all the major websites, calling some of the hotels, and some of the inns in Fells Point. I think we'll just have to drive back and forth for the games. The games are sold out both days, I think a lot of Red Sox fans are coming into town.

If I do find anything, I'll report back. Thanks again!

Karen

kaudrey Jun 15th, 2005 02:23 AM

ttt - just in case anyone else has any ideas. Thanks!

Cassandra Jun 15th, 2005 05:57 AM

Keep calling. There may well be a last-minute cancellation, so call every day right up to the 9th.

TxTravelPro Jun 15th, 2005 06:06 AM

Like I said... ABC has a block space program that may just have hotels in that area on that date.
You would have to book it through an agency.
If you want to try, tell me your city and I will tell you an agency with access to the program.

denice7 Jun 15th, 2005 06:16 AM

have you tried some of the B&B's in the area...federal hill, etc? they are within walking distance. I have found rooms at those because they aren't as well known. do a search on b&b in baltimore

MaureenB Jun 15th, 2005 06:26 AM

Do not consider the Quality Inn at the Carlysle. It is a dump. We stayed there once visiting Johns Hopkins U., and never again. It's more a low-rent apartment house.

Try the Tremont Park and Tremont Square hotels. We like the Park for its suites and boutique nature and continental breakfast included. They are a long walk to the ballpark, but also offer a free shuttle service.