Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How to get 6 people from PATH station to other locations in Manhattan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6 of us are staying in Jersey City and will be taking the PATH into Manhattan. We will probably spend 1 day walking the town, and I think I would like to start up in Central Park and work our way back to the theater district (we have tickets).

What is the easiest way to get from the PATH station at 33rd to Central Park? Also, 1 day we have tickets to the movie/tv site bus tour (we catch it at 51st and Broadway).. how is best to get from the PATH station to that location?

Thanks so much.

Karen

Also, is there a way for the 6 of us to share a metrocard? Or will we have to purchase 6 of those?
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 09:00 AM

Take the subway, a city bus (up 6th Avenue), or simply walk (it's about a 20-minute walk up Broadway to 51st Street from the PATH station at Herald Square).

You can share Metrocards, but I don't know how many people are allowed to share. Certainly 2 and possibly up to 3 or 4.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 09:03 AM

Four people can share a regular MetroCard.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 09:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, the 1 train will take you to Columbus Circle (59th St), on the SW corner of the Park and follows B'way uptown, should you wish to go further north. It will also take you to 50th and B'way.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 09:09 AM

Subway map http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm On that same page are links at the top to a bus map and info on the different metrocards. hopstop.com and maps.google.com will give you directions.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 09:21 AM

Don't take the bus. It's slow, not any better than the subway.

You have multiple options depending on where in the park you want to go.

The park is massive. If you have a sense of where you want to start then the subway line becomes easier.

I think starting right around 6th Avenue and Central Park South (59th Street) is a good spot. Get off the PATH at the front of the train, go down the steps near the ticket machines and candy store and catch the F train to the 57th and 6th Avenue stop. Walk two blocks north and you'll be entering the park just to the west of "The Pond."

Two other options - you could start at Columbus Circle, in which case take the B or D train. If wanting to start further uptown, close to Strawberry Fields than take the B train.

The B, D and F train are orange circular signs.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 09:25 AM

BTW, you don't need to take the 1 train. The front part of the PATH station at 34th is just a few feet from the entrance to multiple subway lines. To get the 1, you'd need to walk a few blocks west. You don't need to do that.

I've lived in Hoboken and still regularly take the PATH. The easiest connection are trains that run through the Herald Square Station. The B, D, F, N, Q, R, V and W trains.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 10:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Oops, my mistake. I haven't been on the PATH for a while, and imaginatively moved the station a couple of blocks.