Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How to fly to Anchorage with dog in December?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to move to Anchorage in mid-December. Biggest issue is my dog. He is 42" tall and weighs 130lbs. Has any one transported a dog to Anchorage during winter? I have called Alaska Air numerous times ... and I have had VERY conflicting answers. Please tell me that it is not an issue. Can't leave my dog in CA.!!!

Anyone else done this via other carriers?

Thanks !!!

Old Nov 7th, 2006, 08:25 PM

Can you put clothes on the dog and buy a seat? That's a big dog!
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 08:56 PM

I have a friend who used to fly her show dogs on Alaska Air to Canada all the time from San Jose but I couldn't tell you the procedure.

I know she has a crate for the dog and never takes her eyes off it until it is loaded on the plane which I suppose makes her kind of a pain to airline personnel.

I'm just wondering how they are going to lift a crate with a 130 pound dog in it.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 08:56 PM

I would be VERY hesitant to fly my dog, especially to Anchorage. No chance of having him "delivered"?

L
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

TTess ... He's a ham and a slobbering pup.

Ronda ... I was on a flight to Anchorage in April and a man said that he flies all over the country with his yellow Lab. That is a small dog compared to mine. He put him in a crate and have the pooch loaded into the carrier at the counter and they wheel doggie to the belly of the plane. He was not sure if they do a dog as big as mine.

lynnejoel1015 ... can you elaborate on "delivered" ? I was planning on taking the same flight with the pooch. or were you thinking of someone driving to Anchorage from California? That takes almost 2 weeks ... in the summer.

At one point I was told that it could be done and the one way fare for the pooch was $860. Maybe I should dress him up and get him a seat topside!! like what TTess suggested .. hehehehe
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 11:04 PM

The problem is with the cold weather at the destination. Most airlines don't want the responsibility of your dog possibly freezing to death on the tarmac (same issue with heat in places like Phoenix in the summer). You should look at companies that specialize in shipping animals. Google it and you'll find quite a few.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bisbee!! Totally forgot about
Google.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 08:56 AM
GoTravel

You are moving to Alaska in mid December and forgot it might be cold? LOL!

Old Nov 8th, 2006, 09:54 AM

GoTravel-I think the OP meant she forgot about googling for companies that ship animals. Or we HOPE that's what she forgot or she will have a rude awkening going from CA to Alaska in Dec. If she's like me, she doesn't even own a heavy coat. LOL
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 01:38 PM

It will definitely be a big temp. adjustment for the dog from California to Alaska. What kind is it? Too bad you can't send him up now to stay with friends so he can be growing a nice warm coat. Maybe he could sleep in the freezer between now and then to adjust. lol JUST joking in case anyone doesn't catch that. I love dogs.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 01:48 PM

Will he be in a heated baggage compartment? If it isn't, I imagine that he's going to get very, very cold even before the plane lands. So make sure he has something warm that he can burrow under.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

LOL... yeah ... I forgot to google....

and my dog loves to eat ice all the time. just no yellow ice...
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

aileen679 : .. That is what I tried to ask when I called Alaska Air a few times ... They don't know or they say yes and then when asked to confirm.. they back track and say no.

I might have to drive to SFO and ask the ground crew.

Old Nov 8th, 2006, 02:41 PM

We've had our dogs fly on the plane (beagles, so not nearly as large as yours) with Alaska (but not to Alaska). They were really terrific about it--they put a tag on the outside of the kennel that has your seat number in the cabin. When your pet is loaded up, they pull a portion of the tag and have it delivered to your seat so you know your dog is safely on board.

The pet cabin is conditioned. It won't be freezing and it will be pressurized. I do not know if they have size limitations.

Have to agree with the concerns about on the tarmac though. Especially if your dog isn't used to cold weather.

If it were me, I'd plan on driving or at least having the dog stay in the Bay area until summer. But it's not me.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 06:29 PM

I have am a dog lover/owner. I would be very nervous putting them on a plane. If something ever happened to them I would never be able to live with myself.
I would have to take the time and do the drive.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 07:09 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/hel...-With-Pets.asp
http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/car...ve-Animals.asp
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 03:34 AM

spooky, you need to find out every smallest detail about transporting your dog but don't be afraid. After all there are hundreds of dogs being transfer to and from Anchorage every winter for Iditarod. Some dogs come even from Europe. Then they go back. These dogs are also transfer from the Iditarod's final destination in Nome back to Anchorage. I suggest you get in touch with Iditarod people and ask how they arrange transfers, they would be the best source to give you accurate information. There are also many vets in Anchorage who work on Iditarod caring for dogs. Call vet clinics in Anchorage and ask if the vet works or volunteers in Iditarod, if not they have to know someone who does. They should be able to direct you to someone who deals with transferring dogs to/from and within Alaska. There is another very important dog sled race that ends in Fairbanks, Yukon Quest. You may try to contact them as well. There are definitely dog transporting services in Anchorage and I trust you'll be able to find them and put your worries to rest. Your dog deserves the best. Good luck and please let us know.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 08:40 AM

I used to load bags, freight and animals on the plane. There are concerns and ideas, I think you should weigh in knowledge. You know you did the best you could.

Make sure the pilot knows he has a dog in the cargo bin. As you board the plane, the crew is often in the area. It is an extra step but it is your most precious cargo.

You want the captain or co-pilot to make sure that the cargo bay is pressurized and heated AND monitored during the flight. Any drop in pressure at high altitudes is deadly.

On some plane models, not all spaces below the passenger floor are pressurized and heated. There are compartments in front and back to keep things from shifting around too much. Make sure your animal will be loaded in the right area.

The area down there is really noisy. Turbulence tosses bags and freight around. It is usually dark. I don't normally believe in sedation, but it seems a little something to take the edge off >Don't knock them out! As you know, big dogs have tender hearts. A balance between unconscious and drowsy. Let them take a light nap.

Include your dog's name on the crate so any animal lovers along the way can share a kind word. I handled animals who had treats included on top of the crate.

We handled bears, miniature ponies, dogs, goats, rabbits and boxes of rats. Opening the cargo door to a waterfall of 100 white mice is the true test of animal loving.

If you want to talk to someone who handles it, see if you can talk to the person who handles the incoming freight for the airline in Alaska. They can also let you know the true story we hope. Sometimes calling the airport authority and asking for the airline operation area for Alaska Air. He is worth the care, I'm sure.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

To all : Thank you very much for the responds and ideas. I will be making a few trips to the airport hopefully be able to talk to some ground crew.

DebQ6 :... Thanks for your views as a former ground crew. Now .... where is that tranquilizer gun ? ....Pooch needs a shot of Valium to smooth his canine mojo abit.

Again ... THANK YOU for all the tips and ideas.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 08:59 AM

We're taking our adorable Maltese on a flight next month with us so I did some regulation searching. Of course, she's flying in the cabin!

I found this info on Alaska Air for you:http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/hel...-With-Pets.asp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -