Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How to find leather womens flat shoes for walking in Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-to-find-leather-womens-flat-shoes-for-walking-in-paris-878094/)

aussiekate1 Feb 15th, 2011 05:16 PM

How to find leather womens flat shoes for walking in Paris?

Please help me. I'm going to Paris for a week and will be walking alot everyday on stone pavements, up and down stairs to the Metro and running for business as well. I prefer to wear leather in Europe because you don't stand out so much as an uncouthly shod "American" (with shrug). The weather is mid March so its still cold and of and on raining. Shoes should go from slacks to conservative skirts or jeans and I prefer a ballet flat type of slide on shoe. Anybody out there want to preserve this nice lady's tender feet? Thanks in advance. K.

swisshiker Feb 15th, 2011 05:26 PM

Hello aussiekate1 :)

Welcome to Fodor's!

Zappo's online shoes are often recommended here. They have many ballerina styles, such as:

http://www.zappos.com/ballerina

As you say, you will be walking everywhere, even on stone pavements and cobblestones. You might want to look for something with a thicker sole and a bit more support to absorb some of the shock from the uneven surfaces.

Also, if you go to the section above entitled "Search the Forums" and type in something like walking shoes, you'll probably see a lot of previous posts on this exact subject with lots of good suggestions.

Happy travels!

FutureMrsWilliams Feb 15th, 2011 05:26 PM

If I were you, I'd buy half a dozen pairs of shoes from Zappos.com or another online shoe company that does free returns and go from there. Most of those places have a "comfort" category and there are some brands out there that are cute, contemporary and comfy- Clarks has a line called "indigo" I think that has some stylish options but still with that sensible shoe comfort.

Try them all on and pick the pair that fits perfectly. Send the others back and start breaking in the new ones ASAP!

swisshiker Feb 15th, 2011 05:30 PM

ooooh, I just noticed that your question is tagged for Illinois, although you're asking about Paris.

You might try clicking on the "Change Forum" link up above, then click on Europe, re-post your question, tagging it with France.

Another lively section here is "Fodorite Lounge."

Both the Europe and Lounge areas would be good places to start looking for other shoes questions.

christabir Feb 15th, 2011 05:50 PM

I like some of these. Made by New Balance, they are my new city travel choice:

http://www.shopnewbalance.com/aravon...FcNM4AodYGamew

Online sites to buy:
http://www.aravonshoes.com/Dealers/Online-Partners

I can't wear flat ballerinas, but there are a couple of flat options.

jranger Feb 15th, 2011 06:00 PM

I wore Naturalizer loafers through Europe, including Paris. They are red - so they matched all of my (mostly) black items, plus I felt a bit more stylish with a colorful shoe! They were super comfy, even without socks.

LSky Feb 15th, 2011 07:44 PM

You're only taking one pair of shoes?

We went to Paris in Feb and it was cold. I took boots and a pair of eccos and a supply of smartwool socks.

cigalechanta Feb 15th, 2011 07:58 PM

Everyone's feet are different what is comfortable for one is not for another,
Saying that , I like BORN.
Comfortable boots in March are a good choice.

LSky Feb 15th, 2011 08:24 PM

Then there's style. Do you like a smooth style toe or something wider? Embellished or plain?

The only thing harder than picking out shoes is finding a purse.

love_travel_Aus Feb 15th, 2011 08:33 PM

I love wearing ballerina style shoes - but not if there is any chance of wet weather and probably not all day on uneven surfaces.

Last trip to Europe - when it got colder and wetter - I wore some beautiful leather boots from "Think" brand.
Yes - they are expensive - but I wore them all day until late evening on most days for three weeks!
They are made of quality leather - and mine had a fairly thin sole - but it was very comfortable.
We were in cities with cobble stones and uneven pavements and lots of stairs.
They are a burgundy colour - and polish up well.
I notice some of this brand on Zappos - assuming you live in the USA.
I am envious of the way you can shop for shoes via places like Zappos.

Have fun looking!
Happy travels.

returntoyourseat Feb 15th, 2011 09:21 PM

Unbelievable, why does the uncouth shoddy American thing have to come up, I am just back from Australia, wonderful people but I was in a ton of malls and I thought their clothes were dated....and the shoes.....I am American and think we have wonderful clothes and shoes, and most of the time I hear people talking about shopping in America they are taking extra suitcases, it surely isn't all about money. I go to Europe many times a year, I wear black jeans, and black Kate Spade and Tory Burch flats, they work well and I am hoping I don't look like a "shod" American.

love_travel_Aus Feb 15th, 2011 10:10 PM

I am a little confused here.

I assumed that the OP was posting from and lived in USA - the original Illinois tag. Based on this I also assumed she was making fun of herself.

Seems this has upset reurntoyourseat.
Hope the OP didn't intend this.
Glad you also think we are wonderful people - but like anywhere else in the world clothing styles differ - and what is fashionable in one place may not be acceptable in another.
I am lucky enough to not have to shop in big malls - so my views on fashionable clothing here in Aust. will be a bit different.

Sometimes I go back and look at kerouac's photos - just to remind myself that all the worrying about being fashionable in Paris - is not worth it!

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ember-2010.cfm

Happy travels.

returntoyourseat Feb 15th, 2011 11:21 PM

love_travel_Aus you are most probably right and that was really a knee jerk statement from me, don't do many of those but there are a few people on the board that seem to enjoy ripping the Americans for their tennis shoes. And from all countries in Europe they wear them. It was really a bit rude of me, and out of character. But feelings still stand on Americans aren't the worst dressers traveling the world.

lavandula Feb 16th, 2011 12:10 AM

Have you ever looked at Ecco shoes? Here is the Australian website (because I am in Australia at the moment and that's the default) but they are world-wide. They have very comfortable shapes and are made for walking in:

http://www.ecco.com/au/en/index.jsp;...1031A51FE6.a01

Lavandula

love_travel_Aus Feb 16th, 2011 12:18 AM

No worries returntoyourseat - and no offence taken!

Mm - love those 'pearl' ankle boots from Ecco - and the flats below them.

Happy shopping!

returntoyourseat Feb 16th, 2011 12:51 AM

They have an Ecco shoe store in the mall near Manly. I was just visiting the area, if you are near there, perhaps you could call information. I would know the name of mall if I heard but it escapes me now. They are great and comfortable shoes for walking, I also like Joseph Sebels.

aussiekate1 Feb 16th, 2011 05:28 AM

WoW! Thanks so much! You are all so generous to help me with this. I wanted to clear up a couple of questions. 1) I will be taking Nike crosstrainers with me too, as well as a very pretty pair of stilettos to change into surrepetiously on some evenings. What woman can survive a week with 1 pair of shoes? Not me! 2) I never considered boots! Great idea and this is a good time to buy at end of winter sales in Chicago. Thanks! 3) I'll take the advice above and try a pair of Ecco, Sebel and Avavon and keep the best, return the rest! Merci beaucoup mes amis!

returntoyourseat Feb 16th, 2011 05:48 AM

oh good for you, to be able to wear stilettos again...those were the good ole days.....fyi - I just bought a pair of those city light slippers, fold into a little pouch for your handbag - when you can't make it another step in style just pull them out....
enjoy your holiday....

djkbooks Feb 16th, 2011 07:03 AM

Definitely thicker soles. For dressier shoes, I like Munro and Trotters.

After pounding the pavements all day in Nike trainers, your feet are not going to like stilettos and may even be too swollen to get into them.

LSky Feb 16th, 2011 08:30 AM

Great thread, even if it puts in the mood to buy shoes.

Last month I found a couple of pairs of Aerosoles boots in brown and black. Very comfortable and I like the look, the only drawback for some might be they aren't real leather, I didn't even notice at first. This isn't a huge problem for me as I was once a total vegetarian and had to shop hard to find shoes not leather. :)

Zappos is fun, it's time to get some new spring/summer shoes.