Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > How should I split days between Santa Fe and Taos?

How should I split days between Santa Fe and Taos?

Jan 19th, 2018, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

How should I split days between Santa Fe and Taos?

Wife and I are headed for New Mexico this coming September. We have 10 days total, including 2 days for travel .
Figuring on spending the first night in Albuquerque, leaving 8 nights to split between Santa Fe and Taos. We're not big arts people, so we won't be spending a lot of time in art museums and galleries. My wife does love to shop, though. I'm a history buff, so I'm counting on visiting the New Mexico history museum in Santa Fe, the Kit Carson home in Taos, that sort of thing. We also like the outdoors, so I would like to visit Bandolier National Monument and do a little hiking at the Wild Rivers recreational area north of Taos.
I'm thinking of doing 5 nights in Santa Fe and 3 in Taos, but I'm wondering if we'd be better off with 4 nights in each place. What do you all think?
Jan 19th, 2018, 07:37 PM

I'd split the nights, as you say, 5 for Santa Fe and 3 for Taos. While Taos is entertaining, it's fairly small compared to Santa Fe. You won't see everything that either has to offer but it'll make a very nice trip.
Jan 19th, 2018, 07:39 PM

There are a couple of things you might want to see in Albuquerque including the petroglyphs. https://www.nps.gov/petr/index.htm
The aerial tramway on Sandia is quite expensive IMO but maybe you would want to try it.
Jan 20th, 2018, 01:01 AM

You can actually do Taos as a one day trip from Santa Fe, although that might rule out seeing the Taos Pueblo. The same is true of Bandolier. We spent about a week in Santa Fe in 2014 and visited the places I mention here, plus Abquiu and the church at Rancho de Taos. If interested in the trip report, click on my name to find it.

The first half of this album will give you an idea of what we saw: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...7622984070940/
Jan 20th, 2018, 11:03 AM

It's true, you can see Taos with just a day trip but my feeling is that if a place is worth seeing, it could be even better by hanging out for a day or 2, a wholly different experience. That's how I feel about Taos. It just depends on how you like to do things in general.
Jan 20th, 2018, 12:57 PM

We visited Taos as a day trip and that was enough.
I do recommend visiting Acoma pueblo (aka Sky City) outside Albuquerque very highly.
Jan 20th, 2018, 01:32 PM

Bandelier is well worth a day. If you hike a bit go to the separate part of the park called Tsankawi it is about 5 miles closer to Santa Fe than the main park.

You also might like to go a short way east and visit Pecos ruin, a park service site, also. Lots of history there where the plains Indians traded with Indians from New Mexico and Arizona.

In Taos, check to see if there are any festivals going on when you are there. We went to one in a hacienda several years ago. Do take the tour of the pueblo if it is open to the public when you are there. One or two nights should be enough time for Taos.

Tent Rocks park is between Albuquerque and Santa Fe, for hiking.

I like to read about an area and "Death Comes for the Archbishop" by Willa Cather is fun for the Santa Fe area.
Jan 20th, 2018, 07:20 PM

If just talking about the town of Taos, three days would be about two too many for me.
Jan 21st, 2018, 06:35 AM

Have researched this but haven’t been. If you have a car, two days should be plenty for Taos, maybe part of a third day with travel if you don’t. Four days seems about right for Santa Fe, maybe five if you explore places like Bandelier or a couple pueblos. There are things to see in Albuquerque also, maybe two days worth, and my guess is you’d likely be flying in and out of there anyway.
Jan 21st, 2018, 02:26 PM

Two nights would be good for Taos. We choose to stay there over Santa Fe when driving the back way to Co.orado..
Jan 21st, 2018, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. You all have been a lot of help.
Jan 22nd, 2018, 05:08 PM

I think two nights would be enough in Taos. As others have said, you might want to carve out some time for Albuquerque. And I highly suggest taking the Turquoise Trail (Hwy 14) between Santa Fe and Taos. There are some cool old mining towns on the way, including Madrid (MAD-rid), where your wife might find some fun shopping.

Search this Thread