Reload this Page >

How safe is San Diego?

Search

How safe is San Diego?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 06:33 PM
Tess

How safe is San Diego?

I will be alone for part of our late January trip to San Diego and wondered if there were any areas a woman on her own should avoid during the day?

Also, are there any areas (including beaches) a couple should avoid at night?

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 11:31 PM
Pat

Use good old common sense any where you happen to be. No place in SD, or any place, is safe or dangerous at any given time. San Diego is beautiful and a terrific city to visit; but always be aware of what is going on around you.
Relax and have fun.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Tess

I understand that common sense is in order, but I also know that there are areas known by locals to be less safe than others. When I visit Chicago or Detroit or Boston, for example, I know where not to go and I avoid those areas. I'm sure San Diego has such places, and I'm interested in knowing where they might be.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 06:24 AM
BeachBoi

www.sannet.gov/police/stats
Its a good sight very helpful.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 07:41 AM
calli

The Gaslight District creeped me out. Tucked in an older area of downtown. If it were me going to SD by myself, I'd stay away from the Gaslight after nightfall.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 07:55 AM
xxx

Most people can tell a bad area just by the "feel" of the surroundings. I think in the day time you will be safe in most places. But a drive through some areas would tell you this on your own. Major tourist areas are safe. Crime can happen anywhere, at any time. As previous people say be aware of your surrouondings at all times. I think the Gas light district is also safe. I would prefer to not be alone at night time if I were going there.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Barbara

First of all, it's the Gaslamp District. Yes, it's an older area, but as one of San Diego's prime tourist areas, it's heavily policed and very safe. That doesn't mean there is never any crime there, but the many restaurants and businesses in the area including Horton Plaza - a large shopping mall - would not exist if there were a lot of crime.

Also, at the end of January, the Superbowl is in San Diego. The NFL Experience is in the Convention Center, I believe. That is right next to the Gaslamp District and security will be very high.

Like every big city, San Diego has less desirable areas. As these areas are completely devoid of any tourist attractions, you will have no reason to be in them.