Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How safe is it for a young woman to travel from a broadway show to Long Island at night?

Search

How safe is it for a young woman to travel from a broadway show to Long Island at night?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be travelling to Long Island for a conference in about 10 days. Although I won't have much free time, I hope to buy a discounted ticket for a broadway show. Since it will most likely be in the evening, I am wondering how safe I will feel traveling back to Long Island after the show. Also, any ideas on what the best route would be? I understand public transportation on Long Island is not all that great.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 01:04 AM

Where on Long Island will you be? It is a big island.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 05:32 AM

Aside from considering where on the Island you'll be starting from, look into the Long Island Railroad (LIRR) to get into and out of the city. I have never felt unsafe on LIRR or Metro North trains even late at night by myself. There are usually still plenty of people about.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 05:59 AM

raindrop: I live on Long Island (Babylon) and always travel (alot of times by myself) on the LIRR to and from the city and have always felt safe. In fact I'll be taking the LIRR train next Tuesday night to see The Producers by myself.
What Long Island town are you traveling to? Your best bet would be to take the LIRR.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 06:03 AM

Raindrop,

You can take the LIRR to most parts of Long Island, it is completely safe, no question about it.
The B'way show will let out between 10:30 and 11:00 PM, depending on which show you see. There are subway stations at 42nd street and 50th street, and 59th street. MOST of the audience will be heading towards the closest station, Follow the crowds into the station, choose either the #1,2,3,9 or the A,or C train and head DOWNTOWN. Get off at 34th street (Penn Station). The train information is displayed above the ticket windows for individual stations, and on MANY monitors for general destinations. Know beforehand which train you will be getting home. The trains at that time leave Penn about every 1/2 hour, as long as you are going to a "major" station,most stations are serviced throughout the night.

I would send my 15 year old to do this trip, and not worry about her safety. RElax, and enjoy the show
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 06:17 AM

You have not mentioned where you will be staying. Just be sure that the station you will be arrving at will be serviced by taxis that late at night - or get the number of a cab service in advance - so you can call from the train and have a cab waiting for you.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,
Thanks for setting my mind at ease. I'll be staying at Cold Spring Harbour Laboratory. I'll make sure I know the number of a taxi company before I set out.