Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How safe are tourist destinations? Which is the safest? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-safe-are-tourist-destinations-which-is-the-safest-198463/)

Jim Oct 22nd, 2001 04:38 PM

How safe are tourist destinations? Which is the safest?

I’m thinking if any are safe, Las Vegas is the safest…they’ve got security cameras in the ceilings, and they can spot and secure an under-21 in like, .5 miliseconds. So that’s my vote for safest tourist destination…in fact, I’m planning an escape there as we speak (cause man, i need a vacation bad!!!! and vegas is the way to go with rates as low as they are)…any thoughts?

Sam Oct 22nd, 2001 05:58 PM

I would think that Vegas and any city with mobs of people are NOT the safest, personally. I'd vote for some beach town. <BR> <BR>That having been said, I think you SHOULD go to Vegas and you should have fun.

Bill Oct 23rd, 2001 06:21 AM

As for beaches, look where most of the terrorists were living--in beach communities in Florida. No place is 100% safe! You must choose to either live your life to the fullest or cower in fear and paranoia.

Judy Oct 23rd, 2001 06:51 AM

Well, I agree with the beach vakay being a tiny bit safer. The terrorists, would probably not bomb lightly populated places, less emotional impact IMO. <BR> Judy

Not afraid Oct 23rd, 2001 07:11 AM

Do you all realize that with this conversation you are feeding into the frenzy which is exactly what the terrorists want? To completely disrupt our security and freedom? Be strong, confident and do what you can to show you are not afraid. You are playing right into their hands. I am a firm believer that when it's your time to go, it's your time to go. No terrorist will stop me from living a normal life, if I can help it. I am not saying that I don't think about it, but I will NOT change my life or make decisions based on fear. I also think we owe it to those who lost their lives on 911 to stand tall with resolve; to show they did not die in vain! <BR> <BR> <BR>Jim go to Vegas or where ever you want, and have a great time. Spend lots of money(or as much as you can!) and help keep the travel ball/economy rolling:)

Ginny Oct 23rd, 2001 07:15 AM

Jludy, They found anthrax in the Bahammas. So looks like beach areas are no safer than any place else. I agree that no place is 100% safe. You need to live your life and not be afraid. <BR> <BR>Congresswoman Deb Pryce, one of the leading Republican congresswomen, was asked at a luncheon what was the worst thing for her. (Her office was sweeped for anthrax), and she replied losing her daughter to cancer. Kind of puts it all in perspective doesn't it.

curious Oct 23rd, 2001 07:17 AM

Went to Bermuda a few weeks ago and felt completely safe. Nice short flight (1 and a half hours, not a lot of fuel in those tanks) with pillows!, great security. I really didn't think a place like Bermuda would be on a Terrorists mind as a target.

Judy Oct 23rd, 2001 07:25 AM

Ginny and Not Afraid, I am not afraid either! I was on airplane 7 days after the attack. I am not afraid of living my life because of looney terrorists. <BR> No place on earth is truly safe.... all kinds of pitfalls everywhere. <BR> I just wanted to give my 2 cents worth on what I thought would be safest destination. <BR> Judy

Chuck Oct 23rd, 2001 07:35 AM

IMO, the safest place to go would be China or Australia, haven't heard about any terrorist attacks down under have we?

Diane Nov 1st, 2001 07:31 PM

I'm not as worried about the safety of the vacation destination as I am the problem of getting back home should something happen. We cancelled our long-planned trip to the UK & don't regret it because our minds would have been on family & friends back home & that's no vacation.