Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How's this location for a La Jolla rental?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in the La Jolla in August. We are a family of 4 (2 older teens). The location is Fay Avenue near Genter St.

I'd like to be near (walking distance) the village galleries, restaurants and shops as well as a beach for a cooling off.

I booked a room at the Hotel La Jolla at the Shores (which I can cancel), because it was the best value I could find for a hotel in that area and thought the location, near the shores, would be nice, but am having 2nd thoughts about 4 full grown people in 1 hotel room. For not much more we can get a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom cottage rental but closer ot the village and not the shores.

Either way, we will have a car (will be doing the usual San Diego sightseeing), but I do like the idea of having things to see and do within walking distance.
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 10:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would say it's very roughly about half to three quarters of a mile to most the part of Prospect where most of the resturants are and less to coffe shops and miscellaneous shopping.

The closest beach is maybe a bit less than half a mile.

This web site may give you more detail.

www.lajolla.com
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

We are all used to lots of walking beacuse we live in NYC, so anytjhing less than a mile is no problem at all.

How are the closest beaches, as far as sunbathing and going for a dip? Also, from what I understand, the coastline there is very picturesque. Both my daughter and I like to dabble with photography so I am guessing there are many 'kodak moments' in the area.
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 01:58 PM

IMO, the best beach in La Jolla is La Jolla Shores. It's very popular!

The coast is beautiful and you're right about the Kodak moment potential.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Barbara. I think you also had responded to an earlier thread I had about SD/LJ a while back.

I figured the shores are nicer, but truth is, this isn't really a 'beach' vacation. The beach is just a plus. My concern was being in a location where if different combinations of us decide to go different ways, it's nice to have some options that don't require a car. My daughter likes art galleries, photography and shopping, my son would be happy going to baseball games evey day. We can still go to the shores, we just wont be able to walk there.

I decided to let my kids choose (between the hotel room near shore or 2BR cottage near village), and they both voted for the cottage rental because they like having all the extra space, and their own bedroom and bathroom. Most of the 2BR rental units I came across within my budget were near the Windansea Beach, which seems to be a bit out of the way, and not really a swimming beach. This rental seems to have the best location compared to what's still available.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 07:31 AM

Right. Windansea is really a surfing beach, and a very popular one too! It's very rocky along most of the coast round La Jolla which makes for lovely photos, but not great swimming.

My kids prefer a rental apartment over hotel rooms too.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

After going through all available rentals again, I decided to book this one (based on location and price as compared to what's still available), and cancelled the hotel.

6 nights in 1 hotel room with 2 adults and 2 teenagers, is not a pleasant thought!

Old Jun 20th, 2008, 11:00 AM

Have a great time. if the weather is anything like today, you'll spend a LOT of time on the beach-any beach! We're having another spell of extremely hot weather-it's 99 at my house.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 11:05 AM

Yikes Barbara! I'm glad I'm away on vacation and missing that hot spell....are you near the coast, cuz that's extremely hot for coastal.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 11:30 AM

nc, we're about eight miles from the coast, but with no hills in between, so we can see the water-sort of! The humidity is "only" 24, but it's still hot. Not a day I'd pick to go to the Fair!
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Speaking of heat, after La Jolla, we're going to Tucson. It's for an obligatory visit not a vacation. I normally would avoid Tucson in August, but at least the hotel rates are low and we'll be spending most of our time indoors.