Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How practical is it to use Port Townsend as a base for visiting Olympic NP? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-practical-is-it-to-use-port-townsend-as-a-base-for-visiting-olympic-np-397925/)

amyx Feb 11th, 2004 08:33 AM

How practical is it to use Port Townsend as a base for visiting Olympic NP?

We are planning to spend 4 nights/3 days in the area this June. Is it too much driving to commute to the park daily? How far is PT to various points in the park?

My main reason for staying in Port Townsend is hotel affordability and the fact that we will probably stay at the same hotel for all 4 nights (less hassle.) If I stayed inside the park I would probably stay at two different places. (From my experience hotels inside national parks tend to be overpriced and very mediocre, but location sometimes outweighs everything else.) How is Sea Loft in PT? I have seen a couple of positive reviews, but it doesn't seem like many people have stayed there.

Thanks in advance!

Gardyloo Feb 11th, 2004 08:51 AM

The only part of Olympic NP easily accessed from Port Townsend is the northern edge, including Hurricane Ridge (just south of Port Angeles) and - depending on your tolerance for driving - the areas around and a little past Lake Crescent, including the Sol Duc hotsprings area.

Although you <i>can</i> get to the coastal strip area (Hoh, Quinault, Ruby/Rialto Beach, etc.) from Port Townsend, it's quite a long drive. I haven't measured it, but if I had to guess I'd estimate that the drive from PT to, say, Hoh, would be on the order of 2 to 2 1/2 hours each way.

ellen_griswold Feb 11th, 2004 10:51 AM

Gardyloo is right, its not practical. You'll be spending most of your time in the car.

Olympic NP is massive, and worth spending time exploring each area. Everyone travels differently, but i would definitely break it up into different areas and lodging.

We spent two nights in Port Townsend (Harborside Inn) to do a Whale Watch cruise mostly. The next night was spent in the park at Crescent Lake Lodge to explore the Hurricane Ridge and lake areas. We were in the motel part of the lodge, but the room was spacious, clean and seemed new. The balcony had a lovely view of the Lake, where we enjoyed our morning coffee wrapped up in blankets....its chilly there in july!

We then drove to Hoh Rainforest, spent the day there, then drove to Ocean Shores, Washington to stay. (We had planned to go Ruby Beach before Hoh but ran out of time.) Ocean Shores is a touristy town, with many hotels right on the beach. We stayed ocenafront at Best Western Lighthouse Inn, and it wasn't any pricier than Pt. Townsend.

All of this followed the segment of our trip including Seattle, Vancouver, Victoria area, where we also we needed many days and different hotels, etc.

And as you said, sometimes location outweighs everything else - this is the perfect example.

jimshep Feb 11th, 2004 02:10 PM

Port Townsend isn't convenient to the park or anything else. Stay at Crescent Lake Lodge and you'll have a fabulous time.

tpl Feb 11th, 2004 03:47 PM

Port Townsend is lovely, but not really convenient to the park. It takes about an hour's drive to get from there to Port Angeles. You could stay in Port Angeles and drive to the park -- there are several B&amp;B's as well as chain hotel/motels represented there. We have done this when we wanted to be close to the car ferry for an early departure to Victoria.

Have a great trip!

PamSF Feb 11th, 2004 07:54 PM

You have time to book at Cresecent Lake Lodge. It's nothing fancy but I do remember reading the best book of my life time on its shore.(Fugitive Pieces) I happen to be a big fan of Pt. Townsend. You should stop there at least. I recommend Juan de Fuca cottages if you want to stay outside the park and still be in relatively close proximity. The cottages are in Sequim.

PamSF Feb 11th, 2004 07:56 PM

Ellen~are you the wife of ClarK?

BTilke Feb 12th, 2004 04:42 AM

Port Townsend is worth a visit on its own, but it isn't convenient to the park, actually a rather long drive unless you only want to do the Hurricane Ridge area. We suggest you spend two nights in PT and focus on PT itself--plenty to do in town, take a smallish boat harbor cruise, which actually focuses on the bird and marine mammal life in the area, quite educational. Enjoy one of the very good restaurants. There also are some nice hiking opportunities in the PT area. Check www.ptguide.com for more info.
Then go off to the ONP.

ellen_griswold Feb 13th, 2004 02:33 PM

Hi Pam!

Yes, i'm the proud, lucky wife of Clark_W_Griswold, although he doesn't post here.

However, theres another clark griswold who posts frequently, and is an especially good resource for the LA area! (Probably a long lost relative! :) )

BTW, any chance you're the SF resident who posted here years ago as KAM? She was great and helped us plan several trips to your AWESOME city! :)

PamSF Feb 14th, 2004 09:07 AM

No, I've always been PamSF..but I do remember Kam.