Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How much would you pay for Wicked tickets? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-much-would-you-pay-for-wicked-tickets-623570/)

Heavens Jun 14th, 2006 04:43 PM

How much would you pay for Wicked tickets?

We missed the theater's selling of the tickets for July in San Diego. All is sold out now, except for brokers. I was shopping around for two and the total for two orch seats at a Thursday matintee was a total of $590 or something like that. Maybe $630. I am appalled. I know it is about how bad do I want to see the show, but would you pay that to see it? Just curious...obviously I am still considering it. I WANNA SEE THE SHOW! But that is highway robery...ugh!

seetheworld Jun 14th, 2006 04:48 PM

Here's the short answer: NO!

inthechips2 Jun 14th, 2006 04:56 PM

Definitely not, and I've seen it twice. It is coming to Seattle in September and fortunately we caught it on a pre-sale. By the time it got to the general public, it was pretty well sold out. Still, as much as I really love the show, I wouldn't pay that kind of money for any theatre ticket.

vivi Jun 14th, 2006 05:10 PM

No way would I pay that much to see Wicked. I have seen the touring production of Wicked and was totally underwhelmed.

starrsville Jun 14th, 2006 05:12 PM

Check your craigslist - especially closer to showtime. I went twice when it came to my town (bought tix the day they went on sale). I was curious on resale prices. Brokers WERE selling on craigslist - but so were normal folks selling tix at face value.

I LOVED Wicked. Couldn't imagine paying that price though. For THAT price, you could fly to London in Sept and see Idina Menzel as Elphaba! (I'm seriously considering doing it).

ellenbw Jun 14th, 2006 05:13 PM

I saw the traveling production and thought it was good, not great. Parts even dragged significantly. There is NO way I would pay that kind of dough to see this production. Sometimes season ticket holders may turn their tickets at the last minute so you might want to check with the box office on their policies and the chances of that happening for you.

Heavens Jun 14th, 2006 05:22 PM

Thanks for your speedy replies. What exactly is Craigslist?

vivi Jun 14th, 2006 05:32 PM

Go to Craigslist.org and click on the San Diego page. Under 'For Sale' click on 'Tickets.' There are probably already Wicked tix for sale.

(I got good seats for the Rolling Stones at the Hollywood Bowl for a fair price on CL!)

starrsville Jun 14th, 2006 05:45 PM

I use www.craigslist.com. Wicked tix are for sale there, but by brokers. Again, they were for sale at face value the week and days before event at face value in my city. Good luck.

inthechips2 Jun 14th, 2006 06:18 PM

Yeah, Starrsville, I thought seriously about London and Idina too ;) Let me know if you go - I want a full report!

starrsville Jun 14th, 2006 06:24 PM

Just announced today - Megan Hilty and Shoshanna Bean (who took over on Broadway for Kristin and Idina) will appear on tour this fall in Portland & Seattle (and Toronto).

Portland - Sept 6-17
Seattle - Sept 20- Oct 1

It may be cheaper to buy tix for those shows and travel up the coast to see them there.

I, in fact, am holding a hotel room on points in London...just in case. I may actually fly to London this fall :-)

Heavens Jun 14th, 2006 06:35 PM

But what exactly is Craig's list? Is it safe? Have you bought off of this before? Who sells? Can anyone get on to sell something? I see a post and the a $1 after the header. What does that mean? HELP! and Thanks all.

Orcas Jun 14th, 2006 06:41 PM

I sold a couple of tickets I couldn't use to Celtic Women on Craig's list in Seattle. I just did a search for it and found someone who wanted to buy two tickets. I emailed the person who had posted and got an immediate response. We met at a gas station and I sold them the tickets. I sold them for what I had paid and it was a good deal since I had picked them up at the box office and not gotten them through ripoffmaster - oh excuse me, ticketmaster. I have a friend who has gotten tickets for plays on Broadway at face value as well. Just keep on looking regularly. It's used by normal people. I suppose you could be ripped off. I'd take all the normal precautions, whatever they are.

starrsville Jun 14th, 2006 06:47 PM

If you click on the ones for sale now (for $1) are actually for sale "for best offer". Again, this far out, I think all of them will be for sale for more than face value.

Closer to the actual event date, you will probably find tix for sale by average joe's that planned to use them, but can't.

I've bought stuff off craigslist before - including a vintage stove. These are (usually) normal folks selling stuff.

I would definitely buy face value up the coast and TRAVEL - especially to see Megan and Shoshanna - rather than to pay inflated prices to a broker.

Heavens Jun 14th, 2006 06:52 PM

OK,do I need to register for this service or just send the poster my email? Sorry to be so inquisitive, but on searching the site I didn't find too much explanation about how to use it. This might be the answer to my prayers. Thanks again for your time.

starrsville Jun 14th, 2006 06:54 PM

Just reply to the poster. Y'all can "talk" back and forth. When I'm buying something I ask for more information - and often they will send pictures (not for show tix of course :-) ).

Good luck.

Heavens Jun 15th, 2006 07:06 AM

Well, I have put in two bids but haven't heard anything. Anyone else have any success stories about Craigslist? Either selling or buying? This could solve a few other problems for me besides tickets.

starrsville Jun 15th, 2006 07:07 AM

I've bought "stuff" from craigslist with very good results.

Heavens Jun 15th, 2006 09:09 AM

Thanks again, Starrs. I did get a reply. We are negotiating. Thanks for all of your help.

jlm_mi Jun 15th, 2006 09:14 AM

Just to clarify - Craigslist isn't selling anything, or involved in any way. It's just online classified ads. Some areas it has caught on big time, and in other areas you'll find fewer listings. It's exactly the same as opening up your local paper and looking at the ads, but online.

Some buyers and sellers are not good people, but most are, just like anywhere else in life.