Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How much is traveling from DC to New York in car? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-much-is-traveling-from-dc-to-new-york-in-car-1696052/)

Grayson_Everett Feb 24th, 2021 09:49 PM

How much is traveling from DC to New York in car?

Hello! I want to travel from DC to New York on late December. It's my first time in the US so I don't want to miss the holidays. I'm practicing social distancing so I'm traveling all by myself and I would like to know how much is it gonna cost me (approximately) thank you.

J62 Feb 25th, 2021 03:12 AM

approximately $138.32, ($US)

rental car - one day, one way DC to NYC
gas
tolls (highway, tunnel, and bridges)

thursdaysd Feb 25th, 2021 05:37 AM

But if you take the train, prices start at $29 for December.

starrs Feb 25th, 2021 06:44 AM

I would take the train.

Gretchen Feb 25th, 2021 01:00 PM

Definitely take the train!!

starrs Feb 26th, 2021 05:00 AM

If you use a car to get there, you either have to drop it somewhere and take the train (or cab, etc.) into the city.

If you keep the car in the city, you will have to pay very expensive parking rates for the car.

This estimate = "approximately $138.32," could easily double with parking.

J62 Feb 26th, 2021 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by starrs (Post 17216656)
If you use a car to get there, you either have to drop it somewhere and take the train (or cab, etc.) into the city.

Not necessarily true.... All of the rental car co's have local drop off locations all around NYC. It may not be immediately next to where one is staying but the options in the city are numerous.

The cost for parking will run ~$50/night +/- so you definitely won't want to keep a car just to park it.

I agree with the others that for 1 person who is just traveling DC to NY the train makes more sense. The discounted rate mentioned above is less than just the tolls alone to drive.

starrs Feb 26th, 2021 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by J62 (Post 17216718)
Not necessarily true.... All of the rental car co's have local drop off locations all around NYC. It may not be immediately next to where one is staying but the options in the city are numerous.

Well, that IS true if one wants to drive into Manhattan.

But then again, the OP just says "NY". I'm assuming NYC. Driving into the city is not for the faint of heart. Even my NJ friend prefers to take the ferry over.

annhig Mar 5th, 2021 06:36 AM

About 18 months ago I took the train from DC to NYC. No problems with other people though of course SD was not a "thing" then.

But if you're concerned that being in a train is going to make SD difficult you probably should rethink going to NYC. I'm sure that most people there are doing their best to be safe but it's hard to go anywhere there without meeting lots of people. And not all of them are going to share your concerns.

tomfuller Mar 5th, 2021 06:36 PM

Amtrak has been enforcing mask wearing (except while eating/drinking) on trains and in stations. Unless you are in the same household, expect to sit in a window seat with no one in the aisle seats.The Amtrak personnel have been using the Lysol wipes on the commonly touched surfaces quite often. You can pay for your ticket online and have the Qcode available on your phone for the conductor to scan.