Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How much cash do you travel with? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-much-cash-do-you-travel-with-1287943/)

taylorcpa May 1st, 2017 11:51 AM

How much cash do you travel with?

I am pretty sure ATMs are available most places, but how much cash do you normally carry with you when you travel? We will be on a 15 day trip to Yosemite, Sequoia, and San Diego and I don't want to be stuck without cash if we need it.

Thanks!

janisj May 1st, 2017 12:05 PM

I generally carry the same amount of cash at home or on vacation. Between $100 and $300. But most people I know carry very little cash anywhere.

sf7307 May 1st, 2017 12:26 PM

Usually around $100 each (2 people).

RoamsAround May 1st, 2017 12:34 PM

No more than $150 for me when traveling and very rarely actually spend any of it. I use credit cards whenever possible and only use cash for gratuities for doorman, porters, and for incidentals.

On the off chance I need more cash I've always been able to find a "bank owned" ATM somewhere close by no matter which country I'm in.

J62 May 1st, 2017 12:55 PM

<$500.

marvelousmouse May 1st, 2017 01:06 PM

$20-40. I don't know about sequoia. But yosemite is not exactly rustic and San Diego is a major city. The only thing I ever spend cash on is bus fare, food trucks, festivals, minor local museums. Very occasionally gas, because pumps don't like my debit card but gas stations have an ATM and I also have a credit card. (For the us, anyway- some countries are much more cash based).

PalenQ May 1st, 2017 02:11 PM

what's cash?

happytrailstoyou May 1st, 2017 02:53 PM

$100 in the USA.

november_moon May 1st, 2017 02:58 PM

I usually have at least a couple hundred. I use cash for a lot of stuff though.

suze May 1st, 2017 03:17 PM

$300-400 USD + $300 worth of peso + an ATM debit card + a credit card (for Mexico)

Hobbert May 1st, 2017 04:07 PM

Maybe $40? I rarely use cash and carry a debit card and 2 credit cards (Visa and MasterCard), so I rarely use cash.

nanabee May 1st, 2017 05:36 PM

I rarely travel with cash. In fact I've traveled to Norway twice without ANY cash. I paid for everything with a Visa card.

I live in San Diego and I don't carry cash. Again I pay for everything with Visa credit card. One exception is I pay small library fines with cash.

I have gotten a ton of free travel miles this way.

thursdaysd May 1st, 2017 08:25 PM

At home maybe a couple of twenties. I even buy coffee with plastic (and get FF miles). If I were traveling in the US I'd probably up it to $100 or so. Abroad I have $200 as emergency backup and have very rarely needed it, but I do carry local currency, the amount depending on the country and acquired on arrival.

gail May 2nd, 2017 04:39 AM

I like to have equivalent of $50-100 in local currency when traveling abroad. Just makes me feel secure and that I could buy a meal or a taxi ride without finding an ATM.

I never use cash, but always have $100-200 in my wallet. No practical reason. I know it is silly. And it is rarely touched. The time my car got towed and I had to take a cash-only taxi to the cash-only tow lot confirmed the practicality of this (I know, the taxi would have taken me to an ATM). This amount is the same when I am traveling in US or just in my town.

Ackislander May 2nd, 2017 04:51 AM

$100 each in local currency, two credit cards, one ATM card. We do not have a debit card. My wife was in the financial services industry and does not believe that debit cards are, in general, safe. Your mileage may vary.

georgeb944 May 2nd, 2017 04:59 AM

I always carry enough for bail.

PaulRabe May 2nd, 2017 05:28 AM

Always less than $50. When I run low on cash, I just go into a grocery store, buy a few munchies, pay with my ATM card, and get cash back. I've never paid a penny in fees for doing so. The places that don't accept credit cards are becoming more & more rare over time.

thursdaysd May 2nd, 2017 05:45 AM

I travel solo and I take more than one ATM card! What if it gets eaten by a machine? In fact, for trips abroad, certainly beyond Europe, I usually have three ATM cards and three or four credit cards - NOT all in the same place, lol. The primary cards carry no foreign conversion or ATM fees.

Inakauaidavidababy May 2nd, 2017 05:48 AM

For 2 weeks a grand just in case. Usually most of it comes home with me, but I like to be prepared for emergencies. Like helping to bail out georgeb

abram May 2nd, 2017 06:19 AM

Within the US, maybe $100.
We charge everything we can for the rewards points.
Our bank refunds all ATM fees immediately, so we never think twice about using an ATM.