Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How many nights/days in each park for Bryce,Zion and Grand Canyon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2003, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
I'm planning my Summer trip and feel it's necessary to reserve lodging now. I have a cabin reserve in the Grand canyon for three nights and am wondering if that will be enough. I also, want to reserve nights in Bryce and Zion but, since I have never been to any of these places , I'm wondering how many nights will suffice to do it all. I'm interested in hiking, mules rides and whatever else is offered in these areas. I have done a search but, feel like I still haven't got clear answers to my question because most of the searches involved children which we won't have any with us. Most recommendations were only two nights but, I'm considering three nights for each park. Is that too much or not enough time or should more time be spent in one particular park? Thanks for any help in advance.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 02:32 PM

3 nights in each park is not too much. Remember, you have travel time in there which eats up a half day or more just getting from park to park. Last June, my husband and I did 3 nights at Zion and 2 at Bryce, and could have enjoyed more time at each park. The extra time is especially important if you want to do several kinds of activities at each place.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 02:32 PM

Three nights in each park sounds great, actually. Then you get two full days in each park, with one travel day in between. Bryce is the smallest park; you could probably do it in one full day (i.e., two nights) but with an extra day you could do a horseback tour or visit nearby Kodachrome State Park.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 07:05 AM

I agree that three nights isn't to much time for each park. We've spent a week in Zion many times and still don't run out of things to do or get tired of it.

If you have some extra time you might want to spend a night or two at Lake Powell (Glen Canyon National Recreational Area) I love the boat cruise on the lake (this year we went in my BI#39;s boat...but I prefer the boat cruise to the small boat!), this year we did the float trip on the Colorado River which was the highlight of our trip, and went to Antelope Canyon.

Here are some of our pictures:

http://www.utahtea.lithium.com/vacat...oat%20trip.htm

Another idea from Bryce would be to take a day trip on Hwy 12 to Boulder.

Here's a great website:

http://www.so-utah.com/

Utahtea
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 04:45 PM

Personally , I feel 2 nights would be sufficient for the Grand Canyon. We only spent 1 night, but we did a mini trek(1 mile) down into the Canyon. I loved Zion and feel that you could easily spend at least 4 days there, with 2 in Bryce. Zion just has so many differant kinds of attractions IMO. Plus the little town of Springdale is quite charming with some decent restaurants. Judy
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, for all the advice. One main reason I wanted three nights in the Grand Canyon is to do the mule ride down the canyon one day and hike around the next. I tried to reserve a mule ride but, I read that they aren't taking reservations at this time due to repairs. Does anyone know anything about this? I do agree that if I can't do the mule thing, that three nights may be too many.I reserved a room at the Bright Angel with a rim cabin. Is okay?
I think I will reserve 4 nights at Zion at the Flanigan's Inn. It looks great! I also, reserved two nights at Bryce Canyon Lodge with one of their Western Cabins. Anymore advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 07:34 PM

We did the same trip this summer. Definitely needed more time at Zion. Your 3 GC, 4 Zion, 2 Bryce is ideal. We loved the Desert Pearl Inn in Springdale. Also really enjoyed the mule ride into Bryce Canyon. Caution, though: book thru Canyon Trail Rides to go into the Canyon, not Ruby's which goes somewhere else.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 07:41 PM

Regarding mule ride down to bottom on Grand Canyon - I thought these mule rides were all 2 day deals - ride down one day, spend the night, ride back the next, but I could be mistaken.

Curious how the mules could be under repair!
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 02:48 AM
Original Poster

To Gail- They do have a seven hour trip which they go down , eat lunch and come back up. Apparently, the trail is in repair due to heavy rains they had last summer. They closed the trail in September (to the mules only, hikers are still allowed) so, I'm thinking the trail should be repaired by July. Thanks to everyone's advice again ! Anymore would still be appreciated!
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 07:00 AM

Your days are probably fine, we did 1 night at Bryce, 1 at the North Rim and felt it was sufficient including the horse/mule ride (which we did at Bryce).

I would highly recommend staying at the lodge at Zion if at all possible. Either the cabin or the lodge rooms are great. We did the lodge rooms at Zion with the Western cabins at Bryce and GC.
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 07:10 AM

Oh...one other thing. If you do a full day mule ride, you will not feel like doing a whole day of hiking the next day. Unless of course you are accustomed to being in a saddle for hours at a time.
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

I bet the cabins in the park are terrific. The reason I chose Flanigans is because they have a spa which looked interesting. Also, I got a suite which I thought was terrific looking. Would it still be better though to have a room in the park and give up the pampering type establishment for more rustic? Did you like the Western cabins in Bryce? I do have reservations there. I already took in consideration about being sore after the mule ride. Right now though I will take a reservation anyway I can get one. Thankyou so much for all your help.
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 08:53 AM

I was incredibly sore after my 3 1/2 hour mule ride at Bryce. I could barely walk the next day, and couldn't get around without making old lady (or man) noises for at least a week. I was still glad I went, though.

However, I learned my lesson and prepared before taking a slightly longer ride 2 weeks ago in Hawaii. I had no problems after the Hawaii ride, just a vague awareness of soreness, if i thought about it.

To prepare, I took a couple of horseback rides at home in the weeks before I left. I also worked on strenghtening my adductor muscles ahead of time, using an exercise ball. At Bryce, I hadn't remembered jeans, and had to ride in thin nylon pants, which felt miserable. In Hawaii, I wore jeans.

On a different note, I'd do just what you have planned: stay in Springdale instead of the Zion Lodge, because the food is SO much better in Springdale. In Bryce, I'd stay at the lodge.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 05:33 AM

Trisha,

The Western Cabins: These are really just medium sized rooms. Depends on how many in your party. I had a family of 4 including 2 teenagers. The cot had to be wedged in and was only set up at night for sleeping. I think for your party of 2, they are great. The cabins at GC (N.Rim) and Bryce do not have air conditioning...but it was not needed anyway. The rooms and cabins at Zion do have AC. None of them have TV..which was also fine with us. At Zion, we had a lodge room which I felt was nicer than the cabin.

The benefits of staying at the lodge in Zion: You can take your car up to the lodge which non-guests cannot (about 3 miles). There is a free shuttle bus that runs every 10 minutes or so which you will need to take to get further into the park. Staying in town means that you get on the tram in town, to go into the park. You must then change trams (busses really) to get into most hiking/sightseeing areas, including trail riding. Most importantly the views are exceptional at the lodge and deer come into the yard every evening. Some nice trails can be walked to from the lodge.

Downside of the lodge: Food is somewhat limited. They do have a very nice dining room with steaks, fish, etc. Dinner for 4 without drinks or tip ran us about $70. There is a sandwich/snack bar place where you can get burgers, pizza, bagels, etc. which is fine but it closed around 7PM if memory serves. One night we took the tram into town and had dinner there.

If you like pampering perhaps the lodge is not for you. I prefer being in the middle of nature. To each their own!

Have fun.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 06:36 AM

One other thing about the Western Cabins. You do not really get your own cabin. There is a common wall, 2 parties are in each cabin. You each have your own entrance, porch, bathroom, etc. and you don't really see the other folks. If you are thinking your own cabin is some remote, private location...this isn't it. Think more along the lines of very small townhouses.

This did not bother us in the least, I am only trying to give you a realistic picture.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 06:52 AM
Rob

There is a mule ride offered at Bryce. I would spend two nights in each park and use the time saved to visit other attractions in the area - Lake Powell, Monument Valley. Arches NP and Canyonlands NP are further away but worth a visit.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 06:59 AM

I think a cabin right on the edge of the Grand Canyon at Bright Angel Lodge is tops. Rustic, charming, everything designed by early 20's architect, Mary Jane Coulter. If nothing else, it is fun to sit and watch the people from all over the world walk by while you rest up from the mules and hikes. There is a fireplace in a room off the main Lodge with rocks from every strata of the Canyon beginning at the bottom.

Zion is out of this world. Stay four nights at least. I stayed at Flanigan's and found it very, very nice and comfortable. Floating in the pool looking up at the red rocks is spectacular. Good restaruant on site. Getting to the park is no hassle - bus stops at Flanigans, minutes to park.