Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How many National Parks in Utah can we do in 7 days?

Old Jan 19th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to do a week long trip over Memorial Week and ideally we'd like to hit all of the following national parks. We would fly in on Saturday and fly back on Sunday so we'll have 7 full days for the trip not including travel. Would this be doable or are we being too ambitious? Any suggested itineraries and hikes for the trip? Thanks.

1. Zion

2. Bryce Canyon

3. Capitol Reef

4. Canyonlands

5. Arches
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 12:24 PM

Do-able?
Possibly.

Advisable?
Certainly not.
Even if you never leave your car, each one of these national parks deserves AT LEAST one day apiece. If you do any kind of hiking in any of them, add another day.
Driving between Capitol Reef ('CRNP') and either of the "paired" parks requires about a day or so.
Thus, one day per park means five days in the parks.
Add one day between ZionBryce and CRNP, plus one day between CRNP and ArchesCanyonlands, and you've now got seven days for a trip that won't be much better than buying a DVD titled "Utah National Parks." Both the DVD and such a trip will allow you to see some great views, but it won't allow you to really EXPERIENCE anything.

Choose one the "pairs" and start there. If you find you have extra time, head for CRNP and spend your days there.

Don't worry about which pair to pick -- you won't go wrong choosing either one.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 12:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I 100% (actually 100000000%) agree w/ PaulRabe. Pick two + perhaps Capitol Reef.

BTW - where are you flying in to - Las Vegas?
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 02:24 PM

fhanif,
Also, you may find lodging choices very limited at this point. Holiday weekends are extremely busy and some of the parks have very few places to stay nearby - Bryce and Capitol Reef especially.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 04:15 PM

If you fly into Las Vegas you could manage Zion, Bryce and possibly Capitol Reef.

If you fly into Salt Lake City or Grand Jucntion, CO you could do Arches, Canyonlands, the area around Moab and possibly Capitol Reef.

As others have mentioned all those parks in one 7 day trip is too ambitious!

Utahtea
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 05:16 PM

Let me say this. There are tons of other GREAT places along with the parks in Utah.

Goblin Valley
Escalante
Deadhorse Point
Little Wildhorse Canyon
Calf Creek Falls

These are just a few. Of course the parks are fantastic, but so are the extras I've mentioned above.

I've been twice over Memorial Day weekend and didn't have any problem at all with crowds. I thought I would go to Utah once. I've been 6 ot 7 times.
The single best thing I've done there is canyoneering with www.deserthighlights.com

Top Hikes
Angels Landing
The Narrows
Delicate Arch
Navajo Loop/Queens Garden
Little Wildhorse Canyon
Horseshoe Canyon/Great Gallery
Calf Creek Falls
Devils Garden Trail in Arches The entire trail

I probably hiked more in Capitol Reef than any other place. Did 30 miles over a 4 day period. You won't find many people here. It is my least favorite of the Utah Parks, but the isolation, night sky, and total quietness is pretty nice.

Canyonlands is really 4 sections. The detached section not very many people even know about. This is where Horseshoe Canyon is. This is where Aaron Ralston(dude that amputated his own arm) was found in. It's a spectacular hike. He actually was in Blue John Canyon but was found in Horseshoe Canyon. So, fairly safe hike. Blue John is more technical requiring ropes while Horseshoe Canyon is just a moderate hike.
You could spend an entire week in the 3 other sections of Canyonlands. It is vast. I suggest doing a flyover in a small plane to see Canyonlands.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 05:17 PM

It can be hot by Memorial Day. Bryce is likely going to be the coolest place. We were there a couple of years ago on Memorial Day and it had snow in places still.