Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How long will it take to get to O'Hare? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-long-will-it-take-to-get-to-ohare-700217/)

melh Apr 26th, 2007 08:20 AM

How long will it take to get to O'Hare?

I'll be returning home from Chicago on a Monday morning flight and wonder how long it is going to take to get from western suburbs to O'Hare?
Mapquest shows 40 miles/50 minutes, but I'm thinking that doesn't account for AM traffic. I'm on a 9:45 flight.
Hopefully some locals can help me out.
Thanks for the help :-)

ms_go Apr 26th, 2007 08:25 AM

Where in the western suburbs? I live in the far western burbs and have about a 40-mile commute to O'Hare. I've had it take anywhere from 45 minutes to about two hours.

I-88 is under construction (as it has been for most of the four years we've lived here), and the northbound side of I-294 is the heavier side in the morning. If you are aiming to be at the airport by around 8:30, I would allow 90 minutes to get there. Add more if you're returning a rental car, as this is not in the terminal. And err on the high side if there's bad weather.

patg Apr 26th, 2007 08:31 AM

I would guess that you should leave by 6:45 A.M.but check with the staff at your hotel to be safe. You'll want to arrive at the airport by 8 A.M. because the traffic will get exponentially worse between 8 and 9. Are you coming via I-294 (the tri-state expressway)? If you are using a major highway, you can go to cltv.com and check out their handy map of traffic slowdowns.

When you're at O'Hare, look for the smaller security stations - they are generally faster. For Terminals 1 and 3 head in the direction of Terminal Two. The small stations look as though they are for employees, but anyone can use them.

melh Apr 26th, 2007 09:47 AM

Thanks for the info! (I'll be coming from Crystal Lake).

ms_go Apr 26th, 2007 09:52 AM

Oh...that's from the northwest and will involve a different route via I-290. I don't have any recent experience with I-290 (I live just off I-88), so hopefully someone else who lives in that area can help.

LG2 Apr 26th, 2007 10:25 AM

I live in McHenry and was talking to a coworker who lives in LITH just west of CL. You are right, Monday am traffic will be bad. He said it would take more like 90 minutes then. For a 9:45 flight and getting there around 7:45, you would normally leave about 7:00. Do yourself a favor and leave about 5:45/6:00. Then stop somewhere near the airport (Mannheim Rd or River Rd) and eat breakfast, or have a bagel, yogurt or McDonald's breakfast in the terminal and read the newspaper or a magazine. A whole lot less stressful!

LG2 Apr 26th, 2007 10:32 AM

You'll probably travel Randall Rd to I-90 East. Don't take 290. Stay on I-90 and exit at O'Hare. After the toll booth, you can exit at Mannheim to find a restaurant, or proceed directly to the terminals or car rental drop-off.

melh May 4th, 2007 06:24 AM

Thanks. I think we will leave nice and early. I'd much rather have extra time at the airport rather than be stuck in traffic, stressing out.

placeu2 May 4th, 2007 07:51 AM

If you are going to get on 90 at Randall or 31, try and hit the tollway before 7...ideally before 6:30. It is slow going for the last 8-10 miles before you get to the airport exit.

If you are willing to do it off the expressway, I am familiar, but it is challenging to the unitiated.