Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How long to stay in Key West & the best way to get there?

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Key West in the spring from Seattle (long trip) We had thought of staying in Miami the first night because it's so much cheaper to fly into there then rent a car the next day and drive to Key West and stay 6 or 7 days then drive back to Islamorada and stay 2 days at the Pine & palms resort. I 'm wondering if we should spend more time at the resort or if this time line looks good. What do Ya'll think?
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 08:20 AM

I've never stayed anywhere except Key West but your itinerary looks OK. Remember that you will have to leave enogh time to get back to the airport because you will not know what the traffic looks like. This is the big drawback to driving back. Look for the Worldwide Sportsman shop.

I always spend 7 days in Key West and never get tired of doing pretty much the same things: breakfasts, relaxing, three snorkeling trips of varying lengths, 2 or 3 real dinners, and plenty of drinks and snacks at Happy Hours.

What had you intended on doing there?

Pjk
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 08:27 AM

I would add a few nights in South Beach to your plan... maybe fly into Miami...two nights SOBE, drive to KW five nights KW, Two nights Islamorada, finish with 1 night Miami... South Beach is a fun and exciting area and you need a few days there...
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 09:31 AM

We flew into Miami from Baltimore and really enjoyed the drive through the Keys to Key West. Plan on a minimum of 2-1/3 hours to drive it. Lots to do in Key West but take time to drive north and explore the other sights. We really enjoyed eating outdoors - one restaurant had a beautiful courtyard (sorry, I don't remember the name).
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 09:40 AM

The great courtyard restaurant is Mangrove Mama's at MM 21. Wonderful place. Flying to MIA and driving is the way to go. Beautiful drive. The SOBE advice is solid. Islamorada is OK, but one night is enough. You'll have a great time. No mistakes on this plan.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys. I have never been to the Pine & Palms in Islamorada just what I saw on their add it looked nice. I just didn't know if we would be ready for some just sit by the beach time or not. I know we can sit by the pool and read to relax in Key west (when we finally pick a guest house) just wondered if we would be getting bored by then.Pjk- I like about all the things you like to do too.What are your favorite Happy Hours?Music spots?
I like to ride bikes so a great way to explore the area. I really want to do a few good boat trips and a day at Fort Zachary. Any other advise is welcome.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 11:25 AM

I liek the idea of seeing SOBE too. For Happy Hour in KW, Alonzo's Oyster Bar is a goodie - Half price stuff, 2 for 1 drinks. Schooner Wharf is a fav of ours for music and drinks. The Green Parrot has good cheap drinks and some good bands in the eve.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 11:28 AM

I forgot to add The Conch Republic Restaurant to that list. Good music, good bar but so so food. My husband and I always laugh because that is one place you can always see the locals at the bar drinking and the tourist at the tables eating. We even once mentioned it to our bartender and he laughed and agreed.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 04:14 PM

We spend at least 4 weeks a year in Key West, and although we've also stayed in Islamorada and South Beach, I just don't see the allure in either of those places.

South Beach is very trendy and fashion-conscious; Key West is all about t-shirts and flip flops. There's an unspoken equalizer in a town of great wealth where you can't distinguish the homeless people from the wealthy locals!

Islamorada is nice, but unless you seriously love scuba and/or snorkeling, I can't think of a reason to spend time there. Key West has everything (with the exception of the best scuba and snorkeling) that the other keys have, plus fabulous restaurants and interesting tourist activities.

For bars, restaurants, nightlife and tourist activities, Key West can't be beaten!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 07:29 AM

If I am feeling good I can jog from the northern end of Duval to the southern end, then east over past the Casa Marina and Higgs Beach , then Smathers, then to the airport and back. So I've never considered renting a bicycle since I can see what's around.

In the afternoon I generally go to Kelly's on Whitehead & Caroline, or the Duval Beach Club all the way south on Duval or Pepes on Caroline for a drink. Then a little later I stop at either of the places on the Bight for a snack and another drink - Alonzo's or the 1/2 Shell Raw Rar or the Conch Republic. I don't care for Schooner Wharf but everyone else seems to.

I generally have 2 diners while I'm there; one at El Meson De Pepe on Wall and one at the Rooftop Cafe on Front or B.O.'s Fishwagon.

I like El Meson de Pepe for music at night. And breakfast is always a treat in Key West.

Pjk
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 07:41 AM

We got some good advise about snorkeling a ways back. The Floridays is a beautiful sailboat that is docked at the Hyatt Resort on Front Street. They do sunset cruises too. The really nice thing about them is they don't crowd everyone on like many of the catamarans do. The locals call them cattle boats for that very reason. There are fewer people on Floridays so as a result there are fewer people in the water, you are not swimming into each other and the fish do not swim away because of the mass of people who have just entered the water. It is a little more expensive but so well worth it.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 07:44 AM

I spend a week at a time in Islamorada and take a day trip to Key West. I would reverse the amount of time you are spending in each location, but it depends on what kind of trip you enjoy.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 08:43 AM

For no_name at al. (I have 40 minutes to kill before catching the shuttle to Newark Airport)

I try to do three snorkeling trips.

One, an afternoon trip on the Floridays for the above reasons. If you go in the morning, no-one knows exactly what conditions are at the reef, so try for an aftrenoon trip. If you have children, after the ship clears the harbor ask the captain if they can steer the boat, then stand back and watch the smiles.

A second combo snorkel / sunset sail trip on either the Fury or the Caribbean Spirit. The combo costs almmost as much as a single trip so it's a better deal, and it's fun to be on a bigger boat with a lot of people.

And the Sebago Island T'ing, an all-day trip which I go on every time in Key West.

If you are thinking of these or another trip see if they are going to Sand Key which is one of the best places to see coral and various, colorful fish.

Pjk
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 09:37 AM

Thanks Peter but I am very familiar with all those trips as I have been going to KW for years. As the years go by, we still prefer Floridays.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 04:53 PM

I have been down to Key West a few times and have learned a few things in my travels..... 1. Don't fall for the romance of the Miami-Key West Drive through the Everglades in a drop top car. Its a VERY long ride and 10 minutes in you have seen pretty much all you are going to see.... Take my advice... Pay the $150-200 you are planning on using for the rental and fly in..... Its a 45 minute flight against a 4-5 hour drive easy....

and 2) Once you are in Key West, all other places pale in comparison.... Going backwards to Islamadora will be just that, going backwards. Stay the extra days in Key West.....
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 05:13 PM

I'm not sure I understand Jim's Everglades comment. Maybe a half hour is through the Everglades. Then you're in the keys. And I think it's very pretty, especially the first time you drive it.

And Islamorada and SoBe are very different from Key West and both are worth your while. Try all three and decide for yourself what you like. I've actually grown tired of the drunks and the t-shirt shops and the vomit in the streets in Key West.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 05:20 PM

Amen, cimbrone, amen.

Sometimes we even skip the day trip to Key West. It has pretty much lost its luster as far as I'm concerned.

It's pretty amazing how differently we approach vacations and what we consider "must do's" and what we consider "backward". I'll just smile as I watch cars drive on south as I relax in Islamorada and be grateful they haven't discovered the charms of the middle keys.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 06:26 PM

I go to KW as much as possible.
You will not be bored.
Be sure to eat at LaTratoria and have drinks at Vergillo's in the back...very cool place.

B.O.'s Fish Wagon is great for lunch....don't let the funkiness of the place fool you.
Conch Republic has the best happy hour.

For a B&B try Key west B&B (aka The Poplar house)