Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How long to get to Phoenix airport from Sedona?

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 12:06 PM
Cheryl

I am planning a trip to Arizona in the fall. The last part of the trip will be spent in Sedona (probably at the Enchantment Resort). How long will it take to drive from there back to the airport in Phoenix?(Note: We would be traveling on a Tuesday, for traffic considerations.)

This is my dilemma ... Whether to spend 2 nights in Sedona, leave Sedona mid-day or so, working our way back to Phoenix and stay at an inexpensive motel/motor-inn right by the airport for our last night (so we can return the rental car and be right by the airport for an early flight back to the east coast);
OR...
Stay 3 nights in Sedona which would mean getting up very early on the morning of departure to get back to Phoenix, return the rental car, and get to the airport ... would probably take a late morning or early afternoon flight out if we opt for this option.

Can anyone familiar with traveling in the Phoenix area offer a recommendation? Would like to spend as much time as possible in Sedona, but am a bit worried about getting back to airport/returning car without hassle. Not sure what to expect in terms of traffic or traveling to the airport.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 02:17 PM
jim

I made that trip a couple of years ago, and my recollection is that it takes about 2 hours, maybe 2 1/2. You don't give specific times but rush hour is murder in Phoenix.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 02:39 PM
michelle

2 1/2 hrs is exactly right. And that is WITHOUT rush hour. Rush hour in PHX is 6:30-9:30 am and 4:30-6:30 pm. And the road you take to the city (Hwy 17 to Hwy 10) is the WORST during rush hour. If you will have to travel back to the airport during this time, definitely come back the night before, there are some cheap places (ie Comfort Inn, Fairfield Inn) right near the airport.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 04:08 AM
Cheryl

Thank you so much for the very useful information. It looked like about 2 hours or so on a map, BUT traffic is a major concern. If we opted for the extra night in Sedona, we would probably look at leaving Sedona at about 6:30 - 7:30 a.m. to return car and catch a flight around noon. It looks like this would put us on the worst road at the worst possible time for traffic .... I think we'll end our vacation on a good note and spend the last night right by the airport. Thanks!!

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 01:01 PM
Bob Brown

Good choice. You don't want to end your vacation running up your blood pressure in Phoenix traffic, besides it is hot, hot, and hot in that city.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 01:22 PM
kam

There's actually a fairly nice steakhouse near the airport for your last relaxing meal in Arizona. Maybe one of the natives can come up with the name? Accomodations are all the same in the area--throw a dart.