How long to drive from Zion to Denver?

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 05:54 AM
cecilia

How long to drive from Zion to Denver?

We are doing a trip from Denver, taking in a few of the parks in southern Utah, in May this year. One of the problems we've run in to though is the car rental. We had hoped to do a one way rental starting in Denver and finishing the trip in Las Vegas but the rental companies either do not allow this at all,or charges from $300 - $500 drop off fee.
We think this is a bit too much so we're thinking of actually start and finish in Denver. My question is if the drive from Zion National Park back to Denver is possible to do in one day? We're from the UK and not sure how good the roads are etc? How long would it take approximately?

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 06:26 AM
LS

The drive from Denver to Zion is about ten hours. Try one of those online map features to help you get a feel for distances in the U.S. -- IMO, many Europeans seem to underestimate the vastness of this country and the time it takes to get from point A to point B.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 07:16 AM
Dave

I've found www.mapblast.com to be quite accurate in predicting driving times; much more accurate than the more well-known www.mapquest.com, although mapblast requires registration. (I've suffered no obvous adverse effects, i.e. spamming, etc since registering.)

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 03:17 PM
gbindenver

Ps. to the above post-Despite the long driving time,it is relatively hassle free. Traffic is very light (except on Memorial Day) in May. We did the trip from Denver to LV last fall in 13 hours. (No stops except for gas)

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 04:06 PM
judith

i would personally break up the trip and spend one night in glenwood springs colorado. i drove it last fall and it is a shame to do all that beautiful mountain driving in one day. the scenic way back to denver from zion is east out of zion on 9 to u.s. 89, then north to i-70. the quickest way is west on 9 to i-15, then north to i-70. i stayed at the brand-new quality inn in glenwood springs which backs on the colorado river. lovely town. i would spend less time at the gaming tables and more time in stunning zion and in beautiful colorado.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 04:39 PM
rqf

It is about 635 miles (1060 kilometers) Zion to Denver. About 600 miles (1000 kilometers) are on interstate highways (limited access divided super highways) where speed limit is 70 or 75 miles per hour so you can make good time. Keeping stops to a minimum the trip can be done in under 11 hours. You don't indicate how much time you have but if you have about two weeks you might consider following this route. Denver to Mesa Verde National Park in southwestern Colorado with a possible stop in Ouray on rt.550, a very scenic highway. From Mesa Verde head for Monument Valley in Arizona followed by a visit to the North Rim of the Gr. CAnyon. From there onto Zion and then to Bryce.
Head back to Denver using I-15 to I-70 With a 30 mile detour off I-70 you could visit Arches and Canyonlands National Parks in Moab, Ut. From there it is relatively short ride on I-70 back to Denver. If this interests you so indicate and information will be forthcoming on how long to spend at each place, what to do at the various parks and places to stay.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 04:45 PM
rqf

Just read your note indicating you would be visiting Capitol Reef. In my note preceding this one you would follow the places indicated with this change. Bryce to Capitol Reef to Moab. If time permits visits should be made to both Mesa Verde and Monument Valley

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 02:53 AM
Cecilia

Thank you for all the great advice. It seems like we can do the drive from Zion to Denver in a day,but it will be a very looong day!
We have thought of breaking the trip up,but we are unfortunately limited for time.
It is actually the second time we're in this part of Utah. Two years ago we visited Arches and Canyonlands,and from there we went to Monument Valley and Grand Canyon. We promised ourselves we would come back and next time we would see Bryce and Zion (and whetever else we could fit in). We only have a week,starting on the 6th in Denver. Our return flight to the UK is on the 12th May so we have 6-7 days in total. Our initial plan is to drive to Capitol Reef on the first day,and then continue to Bryce for 2 nights and finish in Zion for 2 nights before starting the "mad" drive back to Denver.
Does that sound like a good route or are there other places we must see? How about 2 nights each at Bryce and Zion? Is that a reasonable amount of time?
Any advice would be much appreciated!

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 10:59 AM
rqf

I assume you are locked into Denver.If not you could save half the mileage beginning and ending the trip in Las Vegas. Given the limited amount of time you have stick to the three places you intend visiting. You might consider making Zion the first stop followed by Bryce, then Capitol Reef. If you do this you don't have to drive the entire distance in one day. Do about 450 miles, stop for the night and head for Zion the following morning. One advantage is the ride back to Denver from Capitol Reef is around 450 miles as opposed to the 635 miles, Zion to Denver. The Grand Staircase of the Escalante National Monument is located between Bryce and Capitol Reef. You might consider a visit for a couple of hours.