Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

how long to drive from San Francisco to San Simeon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 02:35 PM
Jane

We are planning to drive from San Francisco to San Simeon on the 2nd Monday in October.
Planning to start early in the morning, making stops along the way in Carmel, Monterey, Big Sur and ending up in San Simeon that evening. We are planning to stop at all the scenic spots/lookouts along the way. Can anyone advise how much time this will take without zooming through? Will a day be long enough to make the trip and still see a lot? We will probably skip the Monterey Aquarium, as we recently went to the one in Sydney.
We plan to take the Heast Castle tour on Tuesday morning, and then continue on our way to Santa Monica for Tuesday evening. How long a drive should we expect and are there any must stop spots driving south from San Simeon to Santa Monica?

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 03:04 PM
Robin

Yes, I think that is a sufficient amount of time. i did basically the same drive in reverse a few years ago. Do check into traffic patterns (since it is a workday)in SF, as it would be awful to get stuck. There have been some great posts on the Big Sur drive (which you can do a search for), which is a significant part of the trip you are talking about. It is definitely important to get out and walk around on some of the beaches.

South of San Simeon, Santa Barbara is the best place to spend some time. It's a pretty spot only an hour or so south of San Simeon, and about 1 1/2 hours out of LA. Again, look out for traffic at the end of the day when you approach Santa Monica.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 04:58 PM
gail

It will take at least 5 hours SF to San Simeon.It sounds like a full day to me!

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 05:38 PM
Dick

Robin, since when did Santa Barbara become only one hour from San Simeon by automobile? It is more like 2 1/2 hours on a good day.

Jane, You have to understand the road you are taking after Big Sur. Very beautiful, but VERY windy. It seems everyone in front of you is in one of those old Volkswagon buses that go up the many grades at about 10 mph billowing much smoke. Just sit back and enjoy the sites as passing is basically non-existent on Highway 1.

Dick

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Jane

Thanks a lot. I'm not in a rush to drive down, just want to get an idea how long it will take, so that I know approx how much time I will have to spend at each beautiful stop along the way.
How about the length of time to continue on to Santa Monica?

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 10:12 AM
Dick

Jane,

As I read it, you are now talking about how long it will take from San Simeon to Santa Monica, right?

If you take Hwy. 1, which is the more scenic route, figure just about all day. Keep one thing in mind as you drive south from San Simeon; notice how the trees get more brown than green and the air becomes "hazy". You are getting into Southern California which is pretty much basic brown. You might also want to bottle some air in the San Simeon area to take with you.

Dick

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 11:28 AM
janis

If you are not used to mountain driving it can be a very looong drive. No, you will not be in the mountains - but it is the same sort of drive. You will be on the ocean cliff (scary) side of the very winding road and it will be VERY difficult for you to look down at the beautiful scenery while clutching the wheel. You need to take it slow and stop often - but the other drivers will as well. There will be the occassional demon in a Boxter or BMW roadster racing along, but most folks will be as wary as you.

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 02:33 PM
Jane

Thanks again for your reply, Dick.
Actually, someone advised me not to bother with highway one on the drive south from San Simeon. They suggested taking the faster route(can't remember the highway right now) as the scenery
didn't compare to the first part of the trip. What's your opinion?

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 02:48 PM
janis

Hwy 101 is the inland (faster) route. My comments were about the drive from SF to San Simeon - especially through Big Sur. From Cambria/San Simeon south, you can take 101 but that section of Hwy 1 isn't the slow part so you don't save that much time.

Ther slow driving is most of the way from SF to Cambria, with the exception of around Monterey Bay which is much gentler w/o cliffs, etc.

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 05:02 PM
Dick

Jane, Janis is correct. Once you get to San Simeon/Cambria, the rest of the drive on Hwy. 1 is fine.

Actually, the drive from Big Sur to San Simeon is very pretty. Just don't be in any hurry because it will do you absolutely no good. Expect it to be slow, and you will not be frustrated.

From San Simeon, the alternative is Hwy. 101--The Kings Highway (El Camino Real). You have to go over to Paso Robles to catch on. Nothing to see there. Stick to 1 and stop when you want.

After you leave Ventura, you are on your own........gasp!

Dick