Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How long to drive fr San Diego to Anaheim/Knott's Berry Farm

Old Apr 12th, 2000, 10:14 AM
Lim

We plan to drive from San Diego to Anaheim or Knott's Berry Farm. Pls advise how many hours will it take, and which route would be faster, and which route would be of nicer scenery?

Also if we plan to leave SD in the morning on a Saturday, what would be the best time to avoid any traffic congestions? Thank you in advance.

Old Apr 12th, 2000, 11:23 AM
Emily

Take I-5 from San Diego and budget about 2 hours to get there. It's really the only way to go and the scenary along the coast is nice for as long as it lasts. I don't believe that you'll have too many problems on a Saturday morning, since you won't be contending with rush hour traffic. However, it always gets congested as you go through Irvine, no matter what day it is!

Old Apr 12th, 2000, 12:28 PM
Michele

Better scenery? I-5....but it doesn't start getting good until well out of San Diego County - in other words, north of Oceanside. (although, there are parts around Del Mar) And it starts getting not so good when you hit southern Orange County - in other words, mid-San Clemente. Sometimes you may hit traffic when you get to the middle of Orange County.

Fastest? I-15. It takes you through the desert, not many places to stop, no scenery, no traffic (until you get to the 91) but you can make the trip in 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

Traffic shouldn't be TOO big a problem - especially if you can leave early on Saturday morning. Personally, I prefer the I-15, but I live here and usually just want to get from one place to the other quickly.

Old Apr 12th, 2000, 05:15 PM
kam

I would go with I5 and leave before 8 am--on a Saturday it shouldn't be terribly congested, probably most of the traffic will be going the other way. 2 hours is a good guesstimate assuming you're coming from central San Diego. Not wonderful scenery either way.

Old Apr 12th, 2000, 06:29 PM
Lim

Thanks to all of you, I will take the I-5 as suggested. Cheers!

Old Apr 12th, 2000, 10:53 PM
Cali

I live in Southern Ca. and have taken both routes (I-5 and I-15) and I agree the I-5 is much more scenic. Also not that much longer than the I-15 in all honesty. Do allow the 2 hrs. and Sat. shouldn't be too bad. Enjoy!!

Old Apr 13th, 2000, 05:52 PM
Lim

Thanks Cali, how abt on Apr 22, the Good Friday weekend's Saturday? Will the traffic situation be bad? Thanks.

Old Apr 13th, 2000, 07:21 PM
Cali

I don't think it will be as bad on Sat. as it would be on Fri. or Sunday. Also think it will be worse Southbound on Sat. Hope so for your sake. Enjoy your trip.

Old Apr 13th, 2000, 08:36 PM
Lim

Thanks Cali, hope you'll be right! We're looking forward to visiting SD next week.

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 09:48 AM
SDSam

I live in San Diego. I pretty well agree with Cali. I-5 is generally the best route unless you are inland from the coast. I usually take I-15 because I live close to it. You will not encounter very much traffic. If you want to add some more scenery to your trip, you could take the beach route ( Hwy 1 ) starting north of San Clemente. It will definitely slow you down so you would probably want to allow an extra hour. You just exit off I-5 just past San Clemente. It is very well marked. You will travel through many beach towns like Laguna, Beach, etc.

Old Apr 15th, 2000, 07:02 AM
Lim

Hi Sam, thanks for both of your feedbacks.

All of you have been very helpful!

Old Apr 15th, 2000, 01:10 PM
Cali

I totally agree with Sam about going on the Coast Hwy from Dana Point up to Huntington Beach (or wherever) as it is a nice trip and it is fun to see all the beach communities. I do it most of the time when down in that area and I have seen it many times. It will take longer but if you allow the time it is worth it. Hope you have a great trip!!