Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > How long does it take to walk 12 blocks in New York City

How long does it take to walk 12 blocks in New York City

Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:46 AM
Tom

How long does it take to walk 12 blocks in New York City

Need to walk from Penn Station to 246 west 44th street to see a play. How long would it take to walk?

Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:50 AM
Statia

Depends on how fast you walk. If you walk a block in a minute or less, then it would take under fifteen minutes. It's not that far.

I'd give myself 20 minutes or more to be on the safe side, just in case you get side-tracked.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:02 AM
Howard

Statia is right. You can easily make it in 20 minutes. To give you an idea of the distance, it's 20 north/south blocks to the mile, and you'll be walking 11. You can walk up either 7th or 8th Avenues, as the theater is between the two.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:12 AM
xxx

It's not a far walk. I used to walk from Penn Station to work on 44th street every day. Just walk right up 7th avenue to 44th - should take you no longer then 10-15 minutes.

Jave fun!

Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:13 AM
xxx

It's not a far walk. I used to walk from Penn Station to work on 44th street every day. Just walk right up 7th avenue to 44th - should take you no longer then 10-15 minutes.

Have fun!

Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:22 AM
al

To play it super safe figure 25 minutes, which should be more than enough. They say it takes 1 minute to walk 1 short block, but to avoid any problems or allow for diversions, this will allow you twice as much time.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:22 AM
suzanne

NYers use a standard of 1 block = 1 minute. That's for N-S blocks only...E-W blocks take about 3 minutes to walk. So, your trip should take roughly 15 minutes.

Search this Thread