Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How long do you have to wait before raising your bid on Priceline?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I have already checked out biddingfortravel.com. I decided to try and bid on a hotel in NYC (Midtown West, 4 star) for 3 nights in Dec. I tried $125 and didn't get anything. I'm going to raise my bid, but how long do I have to wait before trying again?
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:11 AM
caribtraveler

You can bid again right away by picking a zone that does NOT offer a 4 Star. That's your free rebids.
When you exhaust them, you can bid again in 3 days.

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:16 AM
yk

BTW, the lock out time is 72hrs. The clock starts clicking the moment your bids are rejected.
You might want to use the bidding assistance form on BFT to ask for a bidding strategy.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:18 AM
caribtraveler

So I looked it up, Upper West Side and Upper East Side are the only two zones that do NOT offer 4 Stars. So you would get free re-bids by adding those zones and would not have to wait 3 days.

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

I thought on betterbidding.com, The Stanhope was a 4*. I tried with Upper West for $140, and was still rejected. I guess I'll wait the 72 hrs. and try again.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

I meant to add, the Stanhope is listed as a 4* on the Upper East.

Even after I close the window, can you go back with your free rebids just going back to Priceline?
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:29 AM
caribtraveler

It used to be. It's old information. Don't trust biddingfortravel or betterbidding for stars in certain zones. The best way to check if a zone offers a 4 Star or any other stars is to actually go into Priceline's website. I just picked any date and checked a zone. Priceline then displayed what zone they offer in that area. For Upper West Side and Upper East Side, the highest zone was 3 Star.

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:30 AM
yk

< Even after I close the window, can you go back with your free rebids just going back to Priceline? >

Yes, I think so.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:30 AM
caribtraveler

I meant Priceline displayed what STARS they offered in the zone.

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:31 AM
caribtraveler

Also I BELIEVE the e-mail you get telling you your bid was rejected gives you the option of changing your bid, so you can change the zone then.

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:32 AM
caribtraveler

Also I THINK the e-mail you get telling you your bid was rejected gives you the option of changing your bid, so you can change the zone then.

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:37 AM

Beachgirl, I suggest you go back to biddingfortravel.com and read the hotel FAQ. 1)IMHO you're bidding way too early for December 2)If you had read the info carefully, you would have known about free rebids. Bidding on PL is not for sissies (not that you are a sissy; I'm speaking generically), and you have to be familiar with the bidding process. BFT is a great tutorial. The moderators will even help you bid, but you have to do your homework! Think about making a backup cancellable hotel reservation now and bid on PL at a later date and when you've mastered the steps. Good luck!
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:44 AM
caribtraveler

There's no set rules on bidding too early or too late. I, for example, got a great deal 1-2 months ago for Hyatt Grand Cayman for Feb. 2005. Beachgirl has nothing to lose by trying early as long as she knows when to stop and not overbid if she's not successful right away

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Caribtraveler: Thanks for all your great advice! It's great to know that info. was old. I appreciate it...

Betsy: I had read the Hotel FAQ, but had totally forgot about the rebids in the moment of disappointment. And I did make a make-up reservation at the Renaissance ($259/night) and will try Pricline again maybe when I get closer to the date. (Dec. 27-30) Thanks!
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:54 AM
caribtraveler

You're welcome and good luck.

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:56 AM

Yes, BFT reports the Stanhope as for 4* UES because it has indeed been reported thus. BUT right in their header for UES4*, they note that PL no longer lists 4* as an option for the UES. I don't see how you could ask for a report more updated or complete than that.

The only way to accurately determine your free rebids is to check the PL zone maps for each zone; and check them EVERY time you rebid, they change frequently.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 12:05 PM
GoTravel

FYI New York City hotel occupancy levels last holiday season were at an all time high so expect Priceline rates for NYC to be very high.

You will not be able to use prior guests priceline amounts to gauge your bid.

Plan on close to $200 for a 4 Star on priceline.

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 02:51 PM

Beachgirl, on BFT try going back to last Christmas season in the NY hotels category to see what the bids were then. Not that they'll be the same this year, but it could be useful info in determining when and how much to bid.

One caveat. Often after you bid on PL, a screen will come up telling you that you've bid waaay to low. Just ignore that screen and click to move on and place your original bid.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 03:00 PM

BFT has a maximum number of messages they can put in each topic, and NYC doesn't go back a year. A more-relevant figure is what the hotels on their list are otherwise going for THIS year. That's the figures that hte BFT staff ask for when helping construct bidding strategies. I believe that they recommend that you bid a certain percentage of that rate -- IIRC, it's about 40%.

As Betsy says, PL's suggestions, during the bidding process or after you've been rejected, are very inflated. People are always reporting success at rebids far lower than PL's suggestions.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 03:32 PM

Another thought: PL may not even have availability in NYC yet for the Christmas season. That could be why your bids were rejected.