Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > HOW LONG A DRIVE (SCENIC) FROM SEATTLE TO SAN FRAN?

HOW LONG A DRIVE (SCENIC) FROM SEATTLE TO SAN FRAN?

Jun 30th, 2001, 03:39 PM
jill

HOW LONG A DRIVE (SCENIC) FROM SEATTLE TO SAN FRAN?

Flying into Seattle, renting a car and driving to Vancouver and then headed on down to SF and Napa and will fly out of SF. How many stops down so we'll know how long to stay? And what's not to miss? Thanks!

Jun 30th, 2001, 05:25 PM
Bob Brown

Do I understand correctly that your actual driving route is from Vancouver to San Francisco??
I think you could retrace your steps with your first stop being at Mount Ranier.
Next stop, Mount St. Helens. Then in Portland, the Washington Park Rose Test Gardens. I think these are most beautiful roses I have ever seen in such large numbers. There is also a Japanese Garden in the same area that is nice.
But the roses are grown for international shows and a tremendous amount of care and skill goes into their cultivation.
From there I would drive down the Oregon coast for a ways, then cut over to Crater Lake. From there I would visit the redwood groves along the coast south of the Oregon - California line.
With all of this I can see 3 nights (4 days) between Vancouver and Napa.
If you leave out any thing, the last one to omit is the Oregon Coast.
It is full of beaches, rocky headlands, and rocky capes jutting 1,000 feet out of the pounding surf (Cape Perpetua). There are many waysides and little parks where you can stop, park, and visit an attraction.

Jun 30th, 2001, 09:46 PM
Dee

Do you mean Vancouver B.C. or Washington?????
If it is Washington, agree with other poster, but If I had to choose between the two mountains--I'd pick Mt. St. Helens by driving up to one of the view sites--I like Johnson's Ridge-very impresive views.
After Portland, I'd drive over to Astoria and drive down the Oregon Coast (this takes about 3 days)and into California . Between Crescent City and Eureka are some of the m ost beautiful (and oldest) Redwoods in the world. From Eureka to turnoff to Napa V alley is about 4 hr. drive. Then through the Alexander Valley on into Calistoga takes another hour.(maybe less!)Calistoga is the northern end of Napa Valley.Lots of hotel and B & Bs. At least two days to
see the Valley and taste the wines!!
Hope this helps..
P.S. Having seen Crater Lake and considering the time it takes to get there--I'd choose to spend the time on the Oregon Coast...just my opinion!!

Jul 1st, 2001, 11:24 AM
Phil

If you mean Vancouver, Wa. come across the river and spend some time in Portland. Go to 23rd. Ave. to browse and have lunch. Washington Park (largest in U.S.) is just up the hill.Take Hwy. 26 to Astoria then stay on the coast all the way to Mendocino. The to Napa and on to San Francisco. So many great places to stop and see on the coast. Do not miss it! I would allow a minimum of 7-10 days.

Search this Thread