Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How is the weather in August in NOLA? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-is-the-weather-in-august-in-nola-459461/)

LKL Jul 13th, 2004 10:39 AM

How is the weather in August in NOLA?

I know it is hot but how often does it rain?

How hot is it?

J_Correa Jul 13th, 2004 10:48 AM

According to Yahoo weather, the average high in NO in August is 92F with 6.34 inches of rain.

SusanCS Jul 13th, 2004 12:30 PM

I've had to be in NO in August twice in the past several years. It was so hot and humid I had a hard time catching my breath :( I'm used to hot weather, but the humid really bothers me.

SusanCS Jul 13th, 2004 12:32 PM

humidity, too.

Dan Jul 13th, 2004 12:34 PM

August is the worst time to visit. However, this also makes it the cheapest time to visit so it balances out. You get real "bang for the buck" with cheaper hotel rates, 2-for-1 coupon books, etc.

benj Jul 13th, 2004 01:02 PM

Yahoo has never been here! It is in the mid 90s now with heat index above 100. Plan on it being hot with the possibility of scattered showers in the afternoon. Seems that they form as the day heats up. It has been high 70s at night here. Try checking www.wwltv.com for the weather. That is one of our local tv stations so the forecast is a bit more on target.

HowardR Jul 13th, 2004 01:24 PM

Brutally hot, humid....and wet!
Even bargain prices wouldn't encourage me to go!

J_Correa Jul 13th, 2004 01:31 PM

benj - my point in quoting the yahoo information (and I am positive that SOMEONE from Yahoo has been to NOLA - LOL) was that you can easily get general weather information from sources such as this.

LKL Jul 13th, 2004 01:58 PM

Thanks for all the info -- although, now I want to cry. In the city I live it is currently 98 degrees (15% humidity). By August, it will probably be 5 - 10 degrees hotter and up to 50% humidity. Maybe I will feel at home, perhaps? Ha, ha. I will consider it a week long facial!!!!

Dan Jul 13th, 2004 02:03 PM

Our "heat index" today was 105-110. That's hot! I took the day off because I twisted my ankle yesterday and spent the day hopping from air-conditioned living room (computer/TV) to swimming pool.

SusanCS Jul 13th, 2004 02:08 PM

LKL - Where I currently live the temperature today was 98 and the relative humidity is 52% right now. I promise you that NO is much worse :/
It's difficult to explain; it's like a sauna.

LKL Jul 13th, 2004 02:17 PM

That's okay. I like saunas!

Sounds like the weather in Puerto Vallarta in July/August. As soon as you got off the plane you were drenched.
Not much I can do about it now. The trip is booked and I need a vacation real bad. At least I know what I'm in for. I'm sure my travelin buddy and I will make the best of it. :)

BetsyinKY Jul 13th, 2004 02:28 PM

We went to New Orleans during August two years ago. It was hot and humid, but not unbearable. Maybe I am just used to warmth, because it's pretty humid here in KY (today it's 89 with a heat index of 100), but we still had a great time. Just plan your activities so that you are doing indoor things during the heat of the day...Go to a museum or to Mardi Gras World, etc. Wear comfortable clothes and shoes and you will be fine. The upside is that the heat keeps others away, so prices are lower and it's much easier to get into some of the more popular restaurants! Have a great trip!

SusanCS Jul 13th, 2004 02:29 PM

You've got the most important thing you'll need for a fun trip, LKL: a great attitude!!! Have a wonderful time :)

emd Jul 13th, 2004 02:49 PM

I used to drive to NO all the time for weekends when I lived in Houston (like taking a vacation from a sauna to another sauna). Loved it. Had a blast. The heat and humidity always seemed to be part of the scenery in NO in summer, and the city is made for it, slow and lazy. The beauty is you can duck into the stores or antique shops or galleries or bars or restaurants all over the city when it gets to you, take a rest, and c'est le bon temps all over again when you get revived.

LKL Jul 13th, 2004 03:08 PM

I appreciate all of the positive feedback!! I'm really looking forward to a change of scenery (especially the scenery from my office to the pile of work on my desk). I'll eat an extra beignet for all you. :)
Thanks again!

emd Jul 13th, 2004 03:24 PM

forget the beignets, I want a dozen oysters and a cold one from Acme, then a few hours later some gumbo from the Gumbo Shop, then......

LKL Jul 13th, 2004 03:30 PM

Okay emd, I will eat and drink what ever your stomach desires!! Bring it on! ha, ha.

benj Jul 13th, 2004 04:51 PM

LKL, Sounds like you have the right kind of attitude & will do great here whenever you come. Thank goodness we have a/c & lots of neat places to duck into to cool off. Not like the time I went to visit inlaws in PA & it was 103 with no a/c. They kept saying "there's a breeze, we never need a/c. You're from the South & should be used to it". The breeze came from my attempts to fan myself!

J Correa, I was just funning with your mention of Yahoo weather. We all know that NO is never average! It is great that people will be kind enough to post any info to help.

Have a great trip & enjoy yourself. No one here knows you so you can be as crazy as you want. Besides, the news has been dull lately & I'd love to see a segment of "Tourists Go Wild"!!

babs001 Jul 13th, 2004 10:39 PM

You should be fine but one note - make sure those comfy shoes you wear can get wet. If it should rain very hard drainage can be a problem and you may be sloshing alittle! Go have a roast beef at Maspero's for me and try brunch at Petunia's.