Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How is Newark Liberty Airport Express to hotel?

Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the opinions about the car services.
I found another option in my "NYC For Dummies Book" called Newark Liberty Airport Express bus. It has pretty good reviews but the negative is we wont be dropped off in front of our hotel, Affinia Dumont at 150 East 34th Street but the 3 stops are probably close enough. The 3 options for stops are:
Bryant Park
Grand Central Station
Port Authority Bus Terminal

All 3 are about 11 - 16 minutes walks to our hotel.
Can this walk be done with our 3 large rolling suitcases and 4 carryones with our kids ages 10 - 17?
Doing it this way saves us $201 round trip (compared to talking a private car/van.)
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 03:24 AM

I've already suggested this option on your other thread before seeing this one. I think rolling the cases through the street is not a great idea with kids, but that's up to you. Grand Central is the closest stop to your hotel but it's also I think the last stop on the bus. What time of day does your plane arrive at Newark and is it domestic or international?
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 05:18 AM

You need to understand that NYC is crowded. Esp in good weather at lunch hour - anytime between noon and 2 - the sidewalks can be VERY crowded - and if you're hauling your luggage with you, you will probably have to walk single file. Also note that streets with subways underneath can have large rows of gratings in them.

From Grand Central you would probably want to walk down Park Ave (although the first couple blocks are actually uphill) since it will likely have the least foot traffic. I would assume the walk with luggage is about 30 minutes. (Hopstop times assume a NYC walking rate - which is a mile every 20 minutes - including time wasted waiting for lights to change. It's hard for a group - esp with luggage and kids - to keep to this speed.

Frankly this is something I would never consider - just way too much a PIA to save a few $.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 05:20 AM

I can't speak about the quality of the bus company, but if you want to save $201, then perhaps that's the way to go. Based on your other threads, With five children ages 11 to 17, you should be able to manage walking with all the luggage.
mclaurie is correct in stating that Grand Central is the closest stop(eight short blocks south to 34th Street).
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I also called the hotel this morning and the guy I spoke with said that he felt it was very doable but did say that I can get two taxis at Grand Central Station and they would probably fit all of the luggage, even it it meant putting the carryons on our lap. He said the rate would be a total of $4 per taxi to get to the hotel, so adding on $8 to our cost is just fine compared to the other option. Are taxi readily available at Grand Central Station? I am assuming they are.

mclaurie - Our flight is domestic and arrives at 10:45 AM
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 08:19 AM

Taxis are available. How readily (quickly) depends on time of day/day of week and where you look. The airport buses stop on 41 st. just off Park ave., not right at Grand Central.
http://www.coachusa.com/info/olympia...wheretobuy.asp
If you walk to Lexington ave. you can try to hail 2 heading downtown (Lexington heads down) or you can walk to 42 st. & try getting some in front of Grand Central.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 08:20 AM

Well a taxi will be more than $4 each since the meter starts at $3. And you do need to tip (and with that much luggage to load, it should be on the generous side) Although it's only about 8 blocks, with traffic it could take longer than walking

Penn Station is about the same distance from your hotel, by the way. Since it involves going crosstown, it might take longer by cab, might not

In all locations, taxis are plentiful but you might have to wait in line for one
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 08:20 AM

PS I estimate you're going to be hitting Manhattan at lunchtime. What day of the week is this? Is this soon (ie over the Easter holiday)?
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 08:22 AM

Liberty Airport Express is absolutely NOT a 30-minute walk from your hotel.

Although the stop is "Grand Central", it drops you off between Park and Lexington on 41st Street and is exactly 7 blocks north of your hotel ... for me, not really worth a taxi ride, but then I walk it all the time. You walk down Lexington (not Park), and while there is a bit of a hill, it's not nearly as steep as on Park, and it takes me less than 10 minutes. But with the kids, you might want to take a taxi. You'll walk about half a block to Lexington from the bus stop, which is mid-block, and on Lexington Avenue (not at Grand Central) you will have to grab 2 taxis. While there are usually taxis there, it's hard to know if you'll find two easily at midday. But it's a quick, easy drive that will take about 4 minutes. I believe you pay $15 per person. It's an ok way to come into the city, but it's going to take you well over an hour. If you don't mind that, then it's a convenient option. It is the last stop (but not all of the buses go to all three drop-off locations, so make sure you get one that's going to Grand Central). You almost always stop first at the Port Authority and then continue on.

But it's not going to save you $201. It's going to save you about $50 dollars once you add in the cost of taxis. On your other thread, I told you about SuperShuttle, which allows you to book a private van for your party for $115, and with tax and tip, that's going to be about $150 and takes you directly to your hotel. It has to be booked in advance. So it's really your choice ... $150 or $90 + $10.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:25 AM

First of all there is always a line for taxis at Grand Central -- depending on weather conditions it may take 10 minutes or 30 to get a couple. There is no way the fare is $4 - since the meter drops at $3 and you have to add 20% tip to the fare.

supershuttle might be an option - but in NYC is has a VERY bad reputation - not making scheduled pick ups - or picking people up and then driving them to multiple hotels so they get to airport so close they barely make -or even miss - their flight.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice!

Doug - The $90 plus $10 is for round trip tickets and the $150 private van/shuttle is one way, so that is why we are leaning toward the bus.
I was considering SuperShuttle but I read some of the worse reviews ever about a transportation company so that ruled that on out. Actually, I read some very bad review about Carmels and Dial 7 on yelp.com but not as bad as some of the others. The bus had some of the most positive (but of course they all have negatives)

mclaurie - It is the Wednesday before Memorial Day weekend, May 25th.
PS Is it extra crowded in NYC at this time?
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:54 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
10 Amtrak trains per day pickup at Newark Airport (EWR) and stop at NYP (Penn Station). $25 per adult (over15) and 12.50 for the child. $87.50 and no tip. Lots of taxis pick up at Penn station.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 12:44 PM

It is not extra crowded because of the holiday, but Wednesday IS matinee day for theaters so there's usually more traffic in Manhattan and may be a lot more traffic on the roads coming into Manhattan from NJ at that time.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 01:25 PM

WorldGallery and others: Supershuttle IS terrible if you are just some of the passengers on the van which makes ridiculously poorly planned stops. That's what the reviews reflect, and that what's we've all been saying.
What Doug is suggesting--and I mentioned this days ago on your initial question too -- is that you can reserve an ENTIRE SuperShuttle van for your group of 7. No problem with multiple stops since you're the only passengers.

You may still choose to save some money with bus/train/taxi combinations--that's OK, even if it's not what some of us would choose in your situation! But understand what the optioms really are.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 01:39 PM

But the problem with Super Shuttle goes beyond multiple stops. Their vans break down, some of their drivers haven't a clue how to drive let alone where to go. Read the reviews. This is not an option I would consider.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 03:20 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
You will read good and bad reviews on the internet for every business. I used Carmel Car last year 7 times and it was perfect, on time, courteous, knowlegeable driver every single time.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 07:55 PM

i can't disagree that super shuttle is unreliable in NYC, but in this case the worst that could happen is that it doesn't show, and they have to take the bus instead. I'd go with Super Shuttle TO the hotel, but I'm not sure I'd put my faith in it back to the airport. I've had it fail to show up twice in the early morning hours.

Carmel and Dial 7 have never failed me. and it's not as if there are alternatives to them. they are the only mass-market car services in NYC except foe Execucar, which tends to be much more expensive.

The bus from EWR really bothers me because it's slow and stops too long at every terminal. Plus if you don't get on at the first stop, you sometimes have to stand at busy times. But it is not a bad (in the sense of unreliable) option, though the Airtrain is infinitely better in terms of travel comfort and time.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for helping me understand all of the options.

I think what we will do is take the bus from the airport. It is $15 PP with kids 12 and under free with paid adult. We won't get the $5 saving for booking round trip but that is okay. Then, if we feel it was a good, reliable choice, we will book it for the way back. If not, we will book Carmels, Dial 7 or ask if the hotel has someone they use for the trip back to the airport.
Thanks so much.
Original Poster

I think what we will do is take the bus from the airport. It is $15 PP with kids 12 and under free with paid adult. We won't get the $5 saving for booking round trip but that is okay. Then, if we feel it was a good, reliable choice, we will book it for the way back. If not, we will book Carmels, Dial 7 or ask if the hotel has someone they use for the trip back to the airport.
Thanks so much.
Original Poster

Thanks so much.