Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How Gay is the keys (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-gay-is-the-keys-99200/)

Jason Small Jan 8th, 2001 12:18 PM

How Gay is the keys

I was thinking of going to Key West, but I have heard it is the gay Mecca. Can my wife and I (23yrs old) enjoy ourseleves, or will it feel like we are in the gay pride parade all the time.

L Jan 8th, 2001 12:26 PM

Jason, just a guess, but if you already have concerns, perhaps KW is not your cup of tea. Seems like a strange question - and perhaps it stems from a lack of travel experience. Since you're still at the thinking stage, perhaps you'd be happier going elsewhere.

John Jan 8th, 2001 12:29 PM

You should not have a problem. It is mostly filled with tourists, which is a lot more annoying than a gay pride parade. If you are young and like to drink/party it has great nightlife. In the daytime, fishing is the popular activity (and scuba diving).

Yannick Jan 8th, 2001 12:37 PM

Yes, Jason, the gays will be trying very hard to pull you away from your wife. Make sure you hold on to her VERY tightly! <BR> <BR>Just kidding. You won't find Key West any different than most major cities. Relax and forget about it. They won't bother you and you shouldn't bother them.

Lori Jan 8th, 2001 01:01 PM

IF that's a serious question: <BR>I wouldn't call the Keys the gay Mecca. Key West is a very laid-back sort of place. You'll see artist-types, hippie-types, seniors, gays, college kids, young couples, and yes, regular all-American families live there, and you'll see school buses and soccer fields...it runs the gamut. There's great people-watching!

Serge Jan 8th, 2001 01:06 PM

I went to Key West 5 years ago on my honeymoon. They kidnapped me and now I am a total flamer. I love men now. Go to Key West and join our cult. It's spectacular.

Ian Jan 8th, 2001 01:27 PM

Damn I'm sick of people over reacting anytime the conversation is about gay people. As a family man, like Jason, I would be apprehensive going to such places as the Keys for the simple fact that I don't want my kids seeing men showing any kind of affection towards another man such as kissing or holding hands. Get this- and I have the right to feel that way. Jason has the right to be concerned. Now I know this going to turn into a anti/pro gay thing. It always does. The simple fact is I can be concerned for what my children may see and at the same time NOT be antigay or homophobic. What a "strange" concept! Bring it on...

xxx Jan 8th, 2001 01:38 PM

Ian, you are by definition homophobic. And "they can be gay as long as I don't have to know about it" IS antigay.

L Jan 8th, 2001 01:43 PM

Well, Jason, look at the swell mess you've gotten us into this time. Seriously, KW is great - gay or non-gay alike enjoy it. But lots of other places are great too. Just pick one and go, and some other time, see KW. It's not worth it to debate and then have loosers post anti-gay messages. That's the trouble with the Fodor's postings sometiems - no self-retraint. Have a nice trip, wherever.

Stan Jan 8th, 2001 02:40 PM

Oh no, Ian! Gays! Make sure you avoid not only Key West but San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles, Paris, Amsterdam, Toronto, New Orleans, Miami Beach, Atlanta, Seattle, and Minneapolis as well. <BR> <BR>Oh yeah, Chicago, Vancouver, Mexico City, London, Berlin, Milan, Denver, Boston, D.C., Honolulu, too. <BR> <BR>Don't forget about gay-friendly cities such as San Diego, Rio, Philly, Portland, Brussels, and others. <BR> <BR>In short, enjoy your vacation to Oklahoma City.

John Jan 8th, 2001 02:41 PM

Jason, you didn't mention bringing your children to Key West, did you? I'm wondering if you typed this in invisible ink and I just missed it. <BR> <BR>Don't worry about your trip. Key West has a little of everything and you'll have a wonderful time. It's a very laid back city and you and your wife will enjoy it.

Neutral Jan 8th, 2001 03:01 PM

To all the folks who worry that their kids might come across a gay couple: <BR> <BR>Do what I do and simply tell your kids that the two people are gay and prefer their own gender to the opposite gender. If your religion speaks to this, explain that to your kids. Also mentioned that many people dislike gays and lesbians and discriminate against them in employment, housing, and even travel message boards. Also mention that when it comes to sexual orientation in the U.S., no one is allowed to prevent another person from living as they choose, and everyone should try to get along.

wendy Jan 8th, 2001 03:32 PM

To be honest, I thought that Key West was pretty gay. I don't care one way or the other, but if you have a problem with it, don't go. Duval Street will really bother you.

KATHY Jan 8th, 2001 04:31 PM

Ian, <BR>Where do you live? Aren't you concerned that your children might see a gay couple holding hands right there in your own city? Maybe you should keep them indoors and shelter them from the realities of life until they are grown! The only time they might not see an affectionate gay couple is if you live in a two horse southern town. And in case you are wondering...no I am not gay. I'm a married woman with 2 kids. No matter what city you travel to, you run the chance of encountering people that don't live up to your high standards. <BR> <BR>

Jason Small Jan 8th, 2001 05:10 PM

Dear People who responded <BR> I wasn't trying to be discriminatory to the homosexual community, please forgive me for poor wording. The reason that I wrote this was I was looking for a B&B, on the net, and 2 of the 6 places spoke of clothing optional for men. When I went into the part on the web site that spoke of gay travel, there exact words were that it was "a gay mecca". I was only worried, not that I would see gay people, but more that I would expose my family to public nudity or behavior not acceptable for them. Anyways please forgive me for sounding demeaning in any way shape or form. Thanks to all the people who responded honestly as well. Jason Small <BR>

Debbie Jan 8th, 2001 05:33 PM

Jason - I just returned from KW. I went there with my husband & 2 kids (10 yr. old son/9 yr. old daughter). Relax. It was wonderful. We were only there for 2 days. I don't think I would go for a whole week but not because of the gays. Only because after snorkling, shopping, etc. I was ready to move on & see other places in Fla.

susan Jan 8th, 2001 06:01 PM

Jason - Atlantic Shores is a motel that has a clothing optional bar, but there are no public places in Key West that are clothing optional. I'm a grandmother who would happily take my grandchildren (or anyone else's) to Key West and guarantee we'd all have fun. Yes, Key West has a larger gay population than many places, but I can't imagine that you will care. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt in hopes you'll give Key West the same!

Bruce Jan 8th, 2001 06:12 PM

As a gay man who has been to Key West many times, let me tell you that I am not returning for a reason similar to what you feel. I am embarrassed every time I go by the obnoxious straight couples, usually poorly dressed, very overweight, drunk, loud, and disorderly who walk around Key West, often with his hand down his girlfriend's blouse or up her skirt. This is a behavior that should not be displayed in public and it is as ugly when it is between a man and woman as it is between two men or two women. In fact, let me assure you that the gay couples act much more discreetly and tastefully in public than the straight couples do. Call me a "hetrophopic" if you like, but that's the way I see it.

Noname Jan 8th, 2001 09:01 PM

Jason, <BR>We love Key West. <BR>It's hard to tell by your entries if you have kids. We had our kids with us and the thing I didn't like were some of the items displayed in stores and storefronts, i.e. "adult" toys, tee shirts, posters etc. It caused curious questions we weren't prepared to answer!

Larry Jan 9th, 2001 04:21 AM

Jason, personally, I wouldn't stay away from Key West for the reason you are asking, but the fact that you asked the question at all tells me something. Anyway, why don't you compromise and visit one of the other Keys? You'll get everything you get in Key West except Mallory Square sunsets and Duval Street. And, of course, you can do a daytrip to KW to do those things and also to see if you feel uncomfortable there. ALL the Keys, from Key Largo to Key West, are wonderful for vacations, and I believe you can easily find a place that you and your wife will feel comfortable.