How far is it from Boston to D.C.?

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Janet Arts

How far is it from Boston to D.C.?

My husband and I are taking a car from Boston to D.C.and then back to New York city
we have 7 days and have never been in the area how long does it take to get from one place to another? Thanks, Janet

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 06:32 PM
xxx

Hi Janet,
If you don't stop along the way, you could probably drive it in about 11 hours. But with all the great scenery along the New Jersey coastline (great beaches/Atlantic City/Cape May), then through Delaware and Maryland (Annapolis/Chesapeake Bay/historical sites), why not plan a stop or two enroute to DC. In DC there are so many things to do/see, draw up a "must see" itinerary and then save the rest for another trip...you'll never see it all, even in 7 days!
MUST SEE for us was the Smithsonian Institution (there are several museums under this auspices, so choose among them for what you will enjoy.)
White House -- if it's open again for tours, you have to stand in line first thing in the morning for an afternoon tour.
Monuments/Tidal Basin with the cherry blossoms if you get there in the spring.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 06:34 PM
jersey

Must be a slow driver should take about 8 hrs doing speed limit & avoiding rush hour in any major metro area

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Ann

I've done it in 7, but I had really light traffic the whole way. 8 hours is a good estimate.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 05:41 AM
mh

I did it in 8 when I moved from DC to Boston, don't forget to observe the lovely view of the Bronx while driving on the Bronx Expressway. Pray your car doesn't breakdown while driving thru NYC,just driving thru was scary enough. Driving in all of these cities will be a nightmare with limited parking options...

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 07:36 AM
miles

Eight hours seems about right. But you can avoid the Cross Bronx Expressway by taking Rte. 84 to 684, go over the Tappan Zee Bridge, and head south on the Garden State or Palisades Parkways.

The trick is to get past the NY metro area before 3 pm (take it from someone who's done it many times). That means if you leave Boston by 9 am, you should be winging your way south on the NJ Turnpike by 2.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 07:43 AM
traffic cop

You drive through the following metro areas:

DC
Baltimore
Philly
New Jersey
NYC
Hartford
Boston

Think for a second just how bad traffic could be. You really need to schedule your trip so you avoid rush hour in all of these congested areas.

I also recommend skipping the GW bridge and the Cross Bronx Expressway (I-95) to get through NYC. Definitely take the Tappan Zee.

Also, in Boston, take I-90 to Rte. 84 West through Hartford, don't be fooled into taking I-93 to I-95 through Providence. That way is not only longer mileage wise, but it's also MUCH worse traffic through Boston and also Connecticut.