Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How far in advance do you book airfare for Hawaii?

Old May 17th, 2006, 04:02 PM
iceeu2

I promise not to be a bore. You will see I haven't posted much lately, but.........

oh, yes, I'm so excited!

Just booked ATL-HNL, nonstop for March 27, 2007. And then, back again, nonstop, HNL-ATL for April 11th. That's the only definite part of this trip so far!

Ideas of where to head after a few days on Oahu? Send them my way!

i'2

Old May 17th, 2006, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let the real icee have his way just this once and go to Maui. Kaua'i is so yesterday's news. I know of a cute little sea shack in Makena...

Hey! There's a Costco on Maui. There are fewer bugs, there's good cell phone coverage and there ain't NO CHICKENS roaming the streets! Purrrrfect.

-Bill
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:18 PM

To the title question of the thread, between a couple weeks and a couple months max.
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:45 PM
iceeu2

bbq, the real icee is a southern boy!

He likes chickens and is accustomed to being chewed on by big ole bugs!

Ever heard the song..."Hey Bartender, there's a big bug in my beer"!

Old May 17th, 2006, 06:41 PM

No chickens in Maui? I could have had one on the BBQ every night. Maui is my pick to answer your question.
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:48 PM
trippinkpj

I've booked between 6 weeks and 6 months.

Old May 21st, 2006, 02:57 AM

We always go to Maui. We book right off the hotel website or luxurylink.com. On Luxury link we book the ala carte. We get great prices there. Keep in mind that March is Spring Break and it is VERY busy. We we there this past March/April and it was a zoo. Book at least six months in advance for peace of mind. If you book any later you may not get the room category you want. If you book on the hotel's website the prices don't really fluctuate. They show what specials they have for all year. Luxury Link does the same thing unless you are going for an auction. If you go for an auction you may not see a good deal until a couple of months ahead of time. Thats really way to risky for going during spring break.
Old May 21st, 2006, 06:57 AM

We go on skymiles which means we book the outbound 331 days ahead and the return about 18 days after that. As soon as I know what my plans are, departure from the mainland, which islands, etc. I book accommodations and cars. I was surprised how quickly the accommodations sold out for our dates with the location, price, etc that we wanted. Also, I got the best deal on the cars which I haven't really been able to match since I booked. If the price drops, you can always re book.
Old May 21st, 2006, 09:18 AM

how exciting, another trip to paradise booked

We usually book about 5-3 mos in advance since the rates seem to go on sale in that time frame from LAX. Of course with the high cost of gas who knows whats going to happen so booking your trip this far ahead from ATL may have been the best thing.

Which islands have you visited before, again?
Old May 21st, 2006, 09:26 AM

I forgot, there's some great specials going on w/ interisland fares now too. Not sure if available thru 2007 but it might help in 'which island' decision. Or, pick the one you haven't visited yet (if there is one) that's how we decided for this summer.