Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How far from South Rim of Grand Canyon to Bryce? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-far-from-south-rim-of-grand-canyon-to-bryce-268614/)

nina Oct 26th, 2002 07:28 AM

How far from South Rim of Grand Canyon to Bryce?

In driving time? What types of activites (other than sightseeing) are available at Bryce for a family with boys who are 10 and 13? Thanks.

sj Oct 26th, 2002 08:05 AM

Not sure of driving time - try mapquest.com<BR><BR>But your boys &amp; family will LOVE Bryce! It's amazing.<BR><BR>Go to the national park website to look up and reserve in advance the horseback ride down into the canyon. We did the half day. It's worth it and fun!

nina Oct 26th, 2002 12:12 PM

Thanks SJ. I would try mapquest but don't know what to put in for starting and ending cities. Do you? <BR><BR>I'll look up the horseback riding too. that sounds like fun.

Mike Honeycutt Oct 26th, 2002 12:20 PM

<BR>Grand Canyon, AZ and Bryce Canyon, UT<BR>work at Mapquest. <BR><BR>I'll save you the trip:<BR>9 hours 47 minutes - 290 miles.<BR><BR>We didn't make it to Bryce but I can<BR>vouch for Antelope Canyon, Glen Canyon Dam, and Zion National Park (all along the way).<BR><BR>Mike Honeycutt<BR>

nina Oct 26th, 2002 12:26 PM

Thanks Mike! Yikes, that's farther than I thought. I may have to rethink our itinerary. We are arriving and departing from Phoenix. Want to spend a few days in Phoenix, one in Sedona, one or 2 at the South Rim and a few days elsewhere. Any suggestions?

suzanne Oct 26th, 2002 01:29 PM

Nina,<BR>The first time I went out to the Grand Canyon I also flew into Phoenix. I remember there were some neat things to see along the way...we explored the ruins of an Indian village (from the yr 1200AD) and stopped in a park below a volcanic mountain which was filled with cool lava rocks. I wish I remembered the names of these places! But you'll probably see them along the road just as I did...I didn't know about them before my trip.

OO Oct 26th, 2002 02:18 PM

Suzanne, what you saw sounds like some of what we have planned for a trip we are taking Thanksgiving. Was it Walnut Canyon Nat'l Monument? There are Sinagua ruins dating to around that era. There's also Montezuma's Castle--but you can only view those from a distance, whereas you can hike into Walnut Canyon. Sunset Crater might be the lava field. Our daughter and s-i-l who live in Phoenix enjoy exploring this area. She was actually more impressed by Meteor Crater, a bit further out so that's on our list too.<BR><BR>Nina we bought a book of hiking trails in Sedona and did a couple of hikes there as well. If you plan on any hiking there, and it's gorgeous, you'll want more than a day in Sedona! After all, there are shops to be explored--woman does not live on hiking alone. :&gt;<BR><BR>We went from the Grand Canyon to Sedona, and took hwy 89 approaching Sedona via Oak Creek Canyon. What a beautiful drive, easily reversed of course. <BR><BR>Make Bryce another year's trip, Nina--it's well worth it. We did Bryce and Zion last Thanksgiving--5 days, and loved it as much as the GC. Because airfares into LV, the closest airport, are very competitive, it can be a relatively economical trip too...as these things go, coming from the east coast.

Utahtea Oct 26th, 2002 11:14 PM

Hi Nina,<BR><BR>Glen Canyon National Recreational Area at Page, AZ on beautiful Lake Powell is only 145 miles from the S. Rim of the Grand Canyon. It's about 3 1/2 hour drive through some really beautiful scenery. The day trip on Lake Powell to Rainbow Bridge National Monument is one of my favorite trips. Our two boys loved this too.<BR><BR>Monument Valley which is just north of Kayenta, AZ is 185 miles from the S. Rim and would take about 4 hours. You will reconise the place from movies and commericals. The jeep trips are fun.<BR><BR>Utahtea<BR>

nina Oct 27th, 2002 05:24 AM

Thanks Utahtea, I think that's what we're going to do. I was thinking of going to Lake Powell and doing a raft trip they have there, staying over at the Wahweap then to Antelope Canyon on our way back to Phoenix.

steve Oct 27th, 2002 07:19 AM

I would stop by MOntezuma's Castle and Well (I like the well section better). Might also visit Toozigoot Nat Mon., Jerome, Verde Vally Railroad on the way to Sedona.<BR><BR>Near Flagstaff, I recommend Sunset Crater/Wupatki Nat Mon.<BR><BR>Near Bryce, Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park, and Kodachrome state park.<BR><BR>Be sure to purchase the National Parks pass ($50.00) at the first park you go to.<BR><BR>If you aren't staying in Bryce, I suggest staying in nearby Tropic at the Bryce Canyon Inn cabins. 1-800-592-1468.<BR><BR>In Bryce, i recommend a hike to Mossy Cave. You take the trail from a trailhead on the road between Tropic and Bryce.<BR><BR>I would also recommend you go to Zion NP

Bob Brown Oct 27th, 2002 07:40 AM

Nine and half hours, south rim to Bryce?<BR>Not unless you drive like a snail and stop at every other gas station.<BR>I have driven it more than once and have made it in about 7 hours.<BR>The last time it was almost 8 hours because we stopped at several places to take photographs. <BR><BR>

Mike Honeycutt Oct 29th, 2002 09:38 AM

<BR>Nina - consider leaving through the<BR>east entrance of the GC. You can<BR>go north to Antelope Canyon (about 2.5 hours) or take the south route back to I-40 and Phoneix. We did this route in April and enjoyed:<BR><BR> Cameron Trading Post - lots of tourist stuff<BR> Wupatki Pueblo, Sunset Crater Volcano, Walnut Canyon cliff dwellings.<BR><BR>My pictures are at: www.mikehoneycutt.com<BR><BR><BR>Mike Honeycutt

nina Oct 29th, 2002 09:45 AM

Thanks Mike! I really apreciate any input. I can't believe how much planning this is taking. I was considering doeing exactly what you suggested, going to Antelope Canyon and then down, or driving to Canyon de Chelley to see some of the cliff ruins then back down to Phoenix. I know lots of ruins are closed in April, so that's a factor, as is the amount of driving time involved.<BR><BR>Without accounting for stops, how long do you estimate the drive from GC on I-40 to Phoenix is? Thanks. I'm going to check out your pictures now...

nina Oct 29th, 2002 09:57 AM

GREAT photos, Mike! Now I really want to go to Wupatki, Walnut Canyon and Antelope! (Zion too, but we'll run out of time, maybe next trip).<BR><BR>OK, so if I do want to see these 3 things, how much time will I need, starting from the Sout Rim? We will finish with a mule ride at the GC in the afternoon of our last day there. Should we head up to Page immediately, then overnight and see Antelope first thing in the am? If we did do this, would we have time to Stop at Walnut Creek, Wupatki and Sunset Crater in the same day, or am I out of my mind? Where would be a good place to spend the night on the way back down to Phoenix if I do want to fit all these sites in? Thanks!

Mike Honeycutt Oct 29th, 2002 02:42 PM

<BR>Nina - drive times are the issue. When I was planning my trip last April, I finally had to stop and decide what I really wanted to see. Each time I thought I had a plan, I'd spot something else that was &quot;only one more hour of driving&quot;. I finally decided I really wanted to:<BR><BR>1. See the Grand Canyon.<BR>2. Stay on the Navajo Reservation (thus the stop at the Cameron Trading Post).<BR>3. See Antelope Canyon.<BR><BR>After that, everything else was added because it was along the way.<BR><BR>To truly experience Antelope Canyon, you need to be there between 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. My pictures do not reflect how awesome (as in reverent) it was. My suggestion is to go to Mapquest and calculate some drive times. We found Mapquest overestimated the distance/time but that means your schedule will not be too tight.<BR><BR>As much as I love Antelope Canyon, I worry the drive from Page to Phoenix wil be too much. I'm not an expert on the area so I can only recommend the route I took:<BR><BR>1. After the mule trip, head toward Cameron. Sunsets in the GC are incredible so try to see one. Stay at the Cameron Trading Post overnight.<BR><BR>2. Get an early start from Cameron. Visit Wupatki Pueblo, Sunset Crater<BR>Volcano, Walnut Canyon cliff dwellings, other areas of interest as you head toward Phoenix.<BR><BR>You must see Antelope Canyon someday though. Look at this web site for the best picture I've ever seen on Antelope Canyon:<BR>http://www.photoscene.com/sberlin/scenics/energy.html<BR><BR>Have fun.<BR>Mike Honeycutt<BR>

nina Oct 29th, 2002 05:02 PM

Thanks Mike. I really do appreciate the help. I'm doing the same thing, the more I read about and see, the more I want to add to the itinerary! I do think I will add a day to see Antelope Canyon though, it's just too compelling.<BR><BR>I checked the Mapquest times too, and they do seem long, so after Page we will stop in Sedona before heading to Phoenix.