Reload this Page >

How far from Phoenix to Flagstaff?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 07:28 AM
Maureen

Can anyone tell me how long the drive is from Phoenix to Flagstaff? Also, suggestions as to where to stay would be appreciated. Thanks

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Bob Brown

Hi Maureen. The map says that the distance from Phoenix to Flagstaff is 136 miles. That number of course depends on your starting point in the Phoenix metroplex. Also, the amount of time the trip takes is a function of several variables. What time are you leaving Phoenix? Are you pulling anything? Do you need to thread your way through regular streets before reaching the freeway?
Traffic in Phoenix has the usual big city problems at morning and afternoon rush hours. The Interstate route to Flagstaff is mostly uphill because you gain about 5,000 feet on the way.
So if you are pulling a trailer, it can slow you down a little.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 03:11 PM
ALF

You are almost guaranteed to encounter some sort of tie-up between Phoenix and Flagstaff unless you go in the middle of the night. As noted above, the freeway is a problem during a large part of the day. And, as noted, its a long climb to Flagstaff. The road is a bit twisty and narrow in places, and you WILL get caught behind some giant motorhomes and/or tractor trailers. Its 3 hours, minimum. If things go bad, it could take 4 hours.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 10:10 PM
David

Once you leave the northern boundaries of Phoenix you see a road sign showing Flagstaff to be 99 miles. Presently there is no highway construction going on between the two cities (based on having driven the route 2 weeks ago). There is no reason why you can't go between 65-75 mph from that point on. It is, after all, a 4 lane divided highway and if there is slow traffic ahead you can always pass! The elevation gain slows down the trucks but if you have an average car it is no problem. 2 hours works for me.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 10:13 PM
David

As to your question of "where to stay"; I assume your referring to Flagstaff. The best area in Flagstaff to stay imo is as you enter the city near Northern Arizona University. You're minutes from downtown; near lots of restaurants...generally a nice area.