Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How Far Ahead To Buy Airline Tickets ... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-far-ahead-to-buy-airline-tickets-813829/)

elsiemoo Nov 10th, 2009 06:53 AM

How Far Ahead To Buy Airline Tickets ...

My friend and her sister are going to Hawaii for the first time next May. They are anxious to get plans made, things booked, etc. But I'm telling her NOT to book plane tickets yet. The cheapest fares are running $1000 (with tax, etc.), RT, from Raleigh to Honolulu (checked Orbitz, Expedia, etc. over the last three weeks.) I think that's too much, and I think she can surely do better within the next six months. I use FFMiles now, but when I have paid over the years, it's never been more than about $650 or so for that trip.

Am I giving her good advice, guys? Thanks ...

doug_stallings Nov 10th, 2009 07:53 AM

Travel to Hawaii is down, but I don't think it's realistic to believe you'll get a fare for $650 anymore. I could be wrong, but I would expect something more in the $800 range at the low end. Your friend might save, however, buy buying a package. Of course, you don't say which island; that makes a difference.

You're completely right that it's a little early to be buying tickets now. I'd probably wait until January (or when the first May airfare sales are announced, which could be before Christmas).

A good source for airline tickets to Hawaii is Pleasant Holidays, but even they are showing prices around $1000. I think your friend does need to be prepared to pay close to that if a good airfare sale doesn't come around. But May isn't exactly the off-season.

If she wants to book lodging now, make sure she books something that is completely refundable so she can jump on a package deal if something comes along.

fmpden Nov 10th, 2009 07:54 AM

Maybe and may not. Airline fares are a guessing game. There are no dependable rules. Recent news articles (one just today on holiday travel) have suggested that price breaks will not be forth coming since airlines have substantially reduced capacity to match demand. Who knows how accurate that is? You have to weigh the risk. This might be the low point and they go up from here or be willing to gamble that they might come down. It is a dice roll.

elsiemoo Nov 10th, 2009 08:01 AM

Doug, my friend is flying into Honolulu, and will spend one week each on Maui and Oahu ... haven't decided the order. I know that it's a crapshoot as to how the airfares will go. I will help her check into packages, maybe with Pleasant Hawaiian, Costco, etc. I know that, in the end, there are no guarantees. Thanks for your opinions, guys.

Jackie Nov 10th, 2009 08:42 AM

I suggest she/you sign up with tripadvisor or some other site that emails you when the price of flights changes. I have a request in for Hawaii and have been receiving emails of flights in the $650 range out of boston.

musicfan Nov 10th, 2009 09:20 AM

Also tell her to check TravelZoo and get on their list for e-mails.

elsiemoo Nov 10th, 2009 09:29 AM

Jackie, the fares from Boston are always better than those from RDU (I've been jealous in the past!) I have family in Boston; they can always get somewhere cheaper than I can! Thanks for your suggestion!

elsiemoo Nov 10th, 2009 09:30 AM

musicfan, thanks for your suggestion! We will explore all avenues ... :)

Cheapflights Nov 11th, 2009 05:56 AM

Well, if your friend has yet not booked a ticket, I just tried to find out one for you.
It is with US Airways $888 CAD (Canadian Dollars) on http://www.flightnetwork.com
Just check this out if you feel good about it!

Regards,
Christine

divineMissM Nov 11th, 2009 07:49 AM

It's a toss-up, but the problem with booking so early is the $150 and $200 change fee EVERY TIME that you make a change of plans. If they book early, and say in 3 months they realize that they have to change weeks due to a work committment or something, don't change the ticket right away because two months later if you have another cog in the wheel, you will pay the $150 change fee all over again.

I'd never book a plane ticket this early. A lot can happen in 8 months. How many times have friends of mine, 60 days before travel, told me that it's a go to buy the tickets, then they call back a week later...."oh, I forgot about my cousin's wedding" yada yada yada.

elsiemoo Nov 11th, 2009 08:15 AM

I still think it's too early ... I wouldn't book myself yet. I checked Costco for a package, and found a pretty good one BUT the flight back makes two stops, not one, and they'd be flying Delta/Northwest through Minneapolis. Haven't heard good things about that airline/route ... :( I'm going to tell her to forget about it until after Christmas, and we'll start checking things out then. Appreciate your ideas, all. :)