Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How early to arrive to attend Senate/House hearings?

Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

We will be in Washington the week of December 9 and have passes to both the Senate Gallery and House Visitors Gallery. As I understand it, getting into the hearings is first come first served.

Realistically, how early should we arrive if we hope to attend any of the hearings? We're coming from California and getting in is super important, one of the main reasons we are going in December!Thanks for any information you can give us.
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 08:51 AM

Since this is such a rare event in U.S. history, I'm not sure anyone here could give you advice. You might call the D.C. office of your local representative or the D.C. office of either Feinstein or Harris and ask if they have any idea.
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 10:55 AM
kja

It really depends on the hearing and the room. Some hearings still have seats at the start; other hearings are filled to the gills within minutes of the time the doors open, with lines forming hours in advance. For a more or less "routine" hearing, arriving a half hour or hour in advance is probably sufficient. Jean's advice to ask your representative is reasonable. (By "rare event," I suspect Jean is referring to hearings related to the impeachment inquiry, but there are many, many routine hearings throughout the year, and those are the ones to which I'm referring.)

Last edited by kja; Nov 24th, 2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 03:38 AM

These passes are for the galleries, not the hearing rooms. There is jolly little going on but I think usually there's some one or other on the floor of these talking to an empty chamber about this or that.
If there is a vote then there may be something to see from the galleries. I think they need to find out if there are votes scheduled on anything and go at that time allowing a LOT of time for clearance of security.
Ask the office of the person you got the passes from what the protocol is.
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 12:22 PM

As Gretchen said, you don't have passes to the hearings. If the Senate is in session that day, they may be voting on stuff like some bill to rename a post office, a few days ago they were voting on the ambassador to Romania, appointments of some circuit court judge, various minor amendments and Billsyou've never heard of, stuff like that. If you are a political junkie, it can be fun just to see some people you may have heard of or follow. I remember I was in the Senate Gallery and saw Ted Kennedy speak one day, it was the day Pres Reagan was shot and he announced that and they adjourned for the day. So it's just interesting to see the process for political science groupies.
On Monday Dec 2nd, they are schedule to vote on a new Secretary of Energy

The House is scheduled to vote on Tue-Friday of the first week in Dec, but not on Monday and even Tuesday, it's scheduled very late in the day. But the Republicans calendar says they aren't doing much of anything that week in the gallery.

This is an example of what the House did in last Friday's session on the House floor, it took 3 minutes:

>

I haven't been there in a long time and don't think I planned any particular time because you never know that much what is going on and when and the majority of what they do is not that interesting, to be honest, so all of those type of routine votes aren't going to gather crowds.

If you really mean the hearings, that's a different story. I think they are in the Longworth Building and the public can attend. I'm not up on the latest, but as far as I know, those public hearings have finished and there aren't any more witnesses scheduled for December, although I suppose that could change.
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 06:07 PM
kja

Originally Posted by Christina View Post
f you really mean the hearings, that's a different story. I think they are in the Longworth Building and the public can attend. I'm not up on the latest, but as far as I know, those public hearings have finished and there aren't any more witnesses scheduled for December, although I suppose that could change.
Routine hearings are held in any number of House or Senate buildings. Schedules are normally posted on committee or subcommittee web pages, with varying degrees of advance notice.