Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How does the Marriott Kauai compare to other Hawaiian resorts? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-does-the-marriott-kauai-compare-to-other-hawaiian-resorts-500720/)

beachgirl86 Feb 2nd, 2005 06:02 PM

How does the Marriott Kauai compare to other Hawaiian resorts?

As many of you know, my husband and I are planning our 2nd trip to Hawaii this summer. We are visiting Oahu for 5 nights (staying at the Outrigger Waikiki) and Kauai for 8 nights.

Although I would love to stay in a resort for the entire time on Kauai, I don't think this will be possible for us financially for this particular trip. One option we are looking at is spending 5 nights on the North Shore in a condo, and the remaining 3 nights in a resort to relax.

The Hyatt looks fabulous, but I'm 100% sure we can spend that much. The Marriott Kauai is about $100 less per night, and seems to get fairly good reviews. I was wondering what people thought of it?

To compare, we have stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki, Hapuna Beach and Marriott Waikoloa (Big Island) and the Hyatt Regency in Maui, and enjoyed them all for different reasons. We are looking for a clean, spacious rooms with nice bathrooms and modern furnishings, a great pool, location close to some good restaurants, and just that basic "resorty" feeling to end our trip with. Any opinions on the Marriott Kauai would be so helpful! Thanks!

SkippyW Feb 2nd, 2005 07:05 PM

Hi, I love Kauai! The Marriott is beautiful. I also, love the north shore. We could see a waterfall from our hotel on the north shore. I like the snorkling better on the north shore and it is so laid back. It is lush and green. If you do the North Shore and the Marriott you will enjoy it. The Hyatt is on a red sandy beach that I heard can stain your clothes. I like the look of the Marriott better but maybe other people can tell you what they think. Good luck.

dmpalena Feb 2nd, 2005 09:02 PM

Message: Hi! My husband and I just stayed at the Marriott Kauai in August and we really loved it. The room we had was in the back tower (I wish I could remember the name of the tower), but it's oceanfront right behind the pool area. We were on a high floor so the view was out of this world!! The pool at the Kauai Marriott is just beautiful and very big! It doesn't have a deep end and I believe the entire pool is only 4 foot deep, but it's so big and so pretty that it didn't really bother me that much at all. There are four or five jacuzzis along the back of the pool which are more private and quite lovely. The restaurant is also right there pool side, with live music nightly, which makes for an enjoyable evening. The breakfast buffet was also very good. The beach is more like a small harbor area as the cruise ships dock nearby and pass right in front of the hotel. True be told there are prettier beaches in Kauai, but we still loved the Kauai Marriott. Duke's is a great restaurant also right there along the beach and is a great place to eat dinner on the balcony with this beautiful beach scene right in front of you. Our room was very large and clean and the lobby of this hotel was something to see. The nice thing about the resort location is that it's pretty centralized so getting to any part of the island takes very little effort. Kauai was absolutely breathtaking and there are alot of secluded beaches to discover. We also did the helicopter tour and a catamaran ride around NaPali which leaves you with lasting memories of this "magical" place. Good luck with your plans...I must admit I'm very jealous!!! Aloha!

turn_it_on Feb 2nd, 2005 10:18 PM

With regards to a north shore condo, I just wanted to recommend the Pali Ke Kua condos in Princeville. We stayed in this unit last summer: http://www.kauaivacationrentals.com/static/295.html The site says it's $950/week (without taxes and fees), which is a good deal for a nice condo with a <i>faaabulous</i> view and a secluded beach down below. I have lots of details in my trip report here:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34508517

Let me know if you have any questions!

love
roxy

beachgirl86 Feb 3rd, 2005 01:36 PM

Thanks for the info. -- the Kauai Marriott does sound very nice! And thanks for that link, Roxy :)

Anyone else?

victoria2201 Feb 8th, 2005 07:48 PM

Hi Beachgirl, why don't you check out myresortnetwork.com--it's a site where owners of timeshares post their weeks for rent. If you book through the resort, they usually charge much higher. Sometimes you can get a whole week for as little as $1000 (that's for a one bedroom villa!).

My family owns a timeshare in the Kauai Marriott and I've listed it for rent here a number of times and have gotten good results--good deal for owners (if we rentedit out through the resort, they only give us 50% less taxes, so sometimes that comes out to only $600 week for a 2-bedroom!), and for the renters (they sometimes pay only half or a little more than half compared than what the resort charges the public).

Of course the challenging part is finding an owner whose weeks coincide with with your plans.

Hope this is helpful! Good luck!

vivi Feb 8th, 2005 09:14 PM

I have been to every resort on Kauai multiple, umpteen times, LOL. My favorite overall is the Kauai Marriott. The P-ville may have better views and the Hyatt may be a bit grander but for all around tropical ambience I have always liked the Marriott the best.

beachgirl86 Feb 9th, 2005 03:05 AM

victoria: thanks! I will check that website out.

vivi: wow, so the Marriott is your favorite? What is it that you like about it better than the Hyatt or the Princeville?