Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How does my itinerary sound to you? Need your candid advice on a few Mass. spots. Please help

Search

How does my itinerary sound to you? Need your candid advice on a few Mass. spots. Please help

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

Okey I finally talked my hubby into going a little longer on our trip to Boston. We arrive into Providence and then plan on driving to Marthas Vineyard and spending the night (any ideas of where to stay).

The next day we are going to check out the island and then head slowly toward Salem and see all the cute towns around it and stay somewhere (again any ideas) and then the next day continue on to stay 4 days in Boston.

I have been reading lots of posts (old and new) and hope to hit all the cute places everyone says to that are outside of Boston area. Am I missing anything? Is there a area I should not miss. Also friend of mine thought Marthas Vineyard was overated and I should go to Nantucket or stay on the Cape instead. She said the Cape Cod and MV are not that different.

Please help what do you think. Does this sound like I am packing to much into a short time frame and where do I stay. Is MV good for a day trip or a 2 night stay a must. Thanks you guys always set me straight, thank you!
Old May 16th, 2005, 12:06 PM

Tell me more about checking out MV and then heading slowly toward Salem. And why Salem? I would skip salem and go to Manchester,Gloucester and Rockport. Maybe Newburyport.

I think what you have planned is too much for one day.
Old May 16th, 2005, 12:18 PM

Really?

MV is south of Boston, and Salem is northeast -- you can head there slowly, but only because you will be stuck on a slow ferry and then a not-inconsiderable drive north, including Boston traffic. You won't continue on to Boston from Salem, you'll be back-tracking.

If you want a leisurely drive and cute towns, don't try to get north of Boston from MV in less than a day -- try a cute Cape Cod town (Orleans or Wellfleet or Provincetown come to mind), or Plymouth.

Newport is also great quick trips out of Providence, sort of on the way to Boston, but not convenient to the Cape.

If you want to just head north from the get-go, some Gloucester and Rockport come to mind.

The islands are very comparable to the south-facing Cape, in my opinion -- touristy and crowded small towns with small beaches. The east-facing arm of the Cape (National Seashore) is spectacular.

It may not be worth the trouble to pay for the car ferry to MV, but you can leave the car in the ferry parking lot.
Old May 16th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Hi

Ahhnold we do instend on seeing Rockport and Gloucester. We actually have the option to fly into Manchester (NH that is). First of all I probably seem silly trying to put so much into 3 days and 2 nights. We just looked at the map and said "oh they are pretty close" considering where I live it is 4 hours to anything good.

What I ment by slowly is taking our time checking out all cute towns. My Hubby wants to go to Salem because everyone tells us the history is cool.

I do know we will have to backtrack on some of our drive. But should I fly into Manchester instead? I must admit that whole ferry thing does seem so time consuming. Should I do a day trip to Rockport etc or skip MV.

If you were me what would you do. I can easily change my flight from Prov. to Man. Is MVB worth it?

Thanks again for your time.
Old May 16th, 2005, 12:44 PM

Personally I'd go with Manchester and skip parts south.

Cape Anne (Rockport, Gloucester) gives you a lot of the MV-type experience, nice towns, parks, beaches, with less hassle to get there.

Salem is really touristy, with wax museums and believe-it or not museums (which can be fine, if that's what you're looking for). It does have an intersting historical section on the water. It is a nice enough, but the other towns mentioned (Cape Anne) are pretty with nice parks and views.

If you are coming from Manchester you might also want to consider stopping in Portsmouth for a great cobblestone downtown area, restuarants, and historic park.

Old May 16th, 2005, 01:25 PM

Okay, the original plan makes little sense. Anyways:

1. Salem is pretty close to Boston. The whole northshore - Salem, Gloucester, Rockport - can be done as a single-day trip from Boston. With a car, that is.

2. To visit Nantucket or MV for a day trip, the easiet way to do it is to stay at Hyannis, and then take the ferry from Woods Hole to MV, or Hyannis to Nantucket, early in the morning, and returning late that day. It's expensive to take the car there, and in the summer you need reservations well in advanced. You can't just "fly into Providence and drive to MV to spend the night".

It really doesn't matter too much if you fly out of PVD or MHT after a stay in Boston. I'd base that decision on rental car cost. If there's no one-way charge, then perhaps MHT on the way out.
Old May 16th, 2005, 02:04 PM

It does depend a little bit on what days you will be travelling. If this is a long weekend type of trip, in the summer months, I don't think I would try to go to Martha's Vineyard. It can take forever to get on and off the Cape on a summer weekend.

I think the idea of leaving your car behind when you go to MV (as a couple of people have mentioned) is a good one. One other option for this is to drive from Providence to New Bedford, and take the passenger ferry from there. It is a longer boat ride then Woods Hole, but is has FAR less traffic involved. so if you want to skip the Cape, and just do Martha's Vinyard, this might be a nice option. There is parking near the ferry terminal there, it is very easy to get to.

If you decide to stay in MV, my favorite town is Edgartown, I think it has the nicest inns, and the best dining. On the other hand, the victorian homes in Oak Bluffs are particularly cute. And try to get out as far as Aquinnah (Gay Head) to see the cliffs.

It does seem like a lot to do for such a short trip. You could easily spend your entire time north of Boston as well. I like Salem...not the cheezy witch stuff, but the Peabody Essex museum is great, and the historic homes in the area. Rockport, Gloucester, and Marblehead are all charming. Rockport in particular.
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:27 PM

I think Martha's Vineyard (and Nantucket) are much nicer than the cape and Cape Ann. That said, you are trying to do to much in one day, per your original post. If you are going to the Vineyard or Nantucket for the day, I'd skip bringing the car. Take a tour when you get there.
Old May 16th, 2005, 08:43 PM

You might enjoy visiting the Hammond Castle Museum in Gloucester. The setting on the water is lovely, and the inside is definitely worth a look. I also second the Peabody Essex Museum because of the "Chinese House" exhibit. It is quite something to see.
Old May 16th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for such good advice. I base all of my trips on what info I get on this site.

My hubby is know wondering if we should save MV for another trip. I must admit the thought of taking a ferry for a hour out to the place is disturbing. And if we do choose to go we will for sure NOT take our car. And use all the ideas we have read here. But is this place worth it. I come from the Vegas area so the East coast especially New England is foreign to me.

I think I am going to change my reservations to arriving in Manchester. I wanted to ask which town should I stay in Rockport, Gloucester etc. Any hotels or Inns that are a must.

Is there another area other then MV that I should consider seeing? My hubby says he would not mind checking out more of NH or maybe Vermont. You guys let me know. SO far MV looks cute but if some of the East coast towns up North are just as cute or the same without all the ferry hassle then I am all for it.

Thanks from the bottom of my heart!!
Old May 16th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

By the way we are srriving on a Wednesday and that is when we were going out to MV. But after talking to many places to stay we would only be able to stay one night, as all the hotels are taken on Thurseday evening.

Thanks again
Old May 16th, 2005, 10:04 PM

Are you going to fly into Manchester, rent a car one-way and then fly out of Providence?
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:08 AM

As you continue to plan your trip, one important thing to keep in mind is that east coast/Boston distances are totally different from Nevada distances. Of course, a mile is a mile, but it can take an hour to go 10 miles here because of traffic or unexplained delays - not to paint a picture of endless traffic jams, but take any mileage and time estimates on mapping programs with skepticism.

This is especially important when you plan your lodging.

As far as MV, Nantucket or the Cape - it all depends on what you want. Shopping, solitude, beach, cute towns - and time of year. I am not sure what about the one hour ferry ride disturbs you, but you might then consider sticking to Cape instead. It is possible to fly to MV on a "fake plane" (my term to describe those little things with less than 50 seats), but that distresses me more than the ferry and is expensive and inconvenient.

I am trying to figure out total length of your trip - but I might suggest something like Providence for a night, Capoe Cod for a night or 2, Boston for 4-5 nights and then a night or 2 on the "North Shore" which includes Rockport, Gloucester, Salem, etc. I would skip a stop on this itinerary rather than compressing it.
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:42 AM

Hi Momof5,

There are few more details needed in order to provide appropriate advice:
What time of year?
Which days of the week are your driving days?
How many days in Boston?
How many days total?
Which airports?
Travelling with kids or all adults?

If you only have two nights besides what you are spending in Boston, I would go to one area and stay both nights.

If you are flying into Manchester, why not stay in Portsmouth, NH. If you wanted, you could drive up to Ogunquit and Kennebunkport, Maine one day, and down to the Northshore the second. Or there is plenty to keep you busy in Portsmouth for two days - Strawberry Banke, boat to Isles of Shoals, Rye...

If you are flying into Providence, definitely see Newport if you have never been.

If going to an island, I'd choose Nantucket. I'd stay around Hyannis, and take the High Speed (Grey Lady?) out for a day. I recall it's more expensive, but only takes about 70 minutes.

You are looking for cute, quaint towns, right? Nantucket fits that perfectly with it's cobblestone streets, but there is not as much to do there. The mansions in Newport are incredible. The Cliff Walk(s) in Newport and Ogunquit are both beautiful in their own way. Kennebunkport is a charming white-washed town. Gloucester is an old crusty Fisherman village; don't miss the Hammond Castle Museum if you go to the Northshore. Salem is more touristy, but lots of history; don't miss the Hawthorne House of 7 Gables. Portsmouth and Newburyport are very similar towns: once busy fishing ports, now tourist centers. (Portsmouth is still somewhat commercial.)

Please provide more details on your itinerary, and personal preferences.
I think you have a great trip shaping up, don't get discouraged by the details!

Old May 17th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

First thanks for taking the time to help me.

Gail thank you for explaining that to me. You are right, I look at the map and think oh I can do that it is so close.

Here are some answers to your questions.
First we are arriving June 22 (wed) then until Friday evening are our driving days. We do not land until 5:00 in the afternoon. Then everything is up in the air until Friday night where we check into our Boston Hotel (westin Copley) until Leaving Tuesday evening. The trip which is (this time) adult only. We are diffenitley flying home from Boston but can fly into Manchester or Providence, I have reservations for both. As I said before the first night we can stay at MV but after that no they are full.

Thank you Dreamer2 for the confidence. I do not like to spend my day in a car but rather out walking and sight seeing. We only wanted to go to Salem to chekc out the history and then we are ought there. Do you have any suggestions on hotels to stay at. I heard the Wentworth Marriott in nice but I probably would rather stay in a cute smaller town. Thanks again everyone it is interesting to hear everyones opinions on MV and or Nantucket.

Thanks again
MOMof5

Old May 17th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

By the way I am not much of a beach person especially when my kids are not around. But I am a darling town kinda girl with cobblestone walkways and cute houses.

Thanks
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:31 AM

Since you're arriving at PVD at 5pm the earliest, MV is out. Next trip.

Flying into MHT, then go to Maine or the New Hampshire shores for a day is fine. On Friday, drive down to the "North Shore" - Rockport, Gloucester, Salem - before dropping down to Boston.

From Boston, you can pull a day and head down to Newport, RI; stop by Providence on the way back if you like. Or head to Cape Cod, but not the islands.
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Fairhope

http://www.discovernewengland.org/

Found this site while considering a similar trip

Old May 17th, 2005, 06:22 PM

The Marriott is in New Castle, a little upscale town adjacent to Portsmouth. It's called the Wentworth-by-the-Sea, and it is a recently renovated grand old Victorian hotel. Nice looking spa too!

If you fly into Manchester, I think you'd enjoy staying at the Wentworth. Portsmouth has tons of great restaurants. You could spend Thursday either exploring Strawberry Banke and the Fuller Gardens in Rye, or driving up to Maine, visiting Kennebunkport and Perkins Cove in Ogunquit. I think you'd find them both "charming."

Then on Friday you could explore the Northshore on your way into Boston. I think you'd like Newburyport, but it's mostly "shopping," as opposed to touring. I personally like Salem for the tourist activities, but it is not as "quaint" as Marblehead or Rockport.

If you fly into Providence, you have a couple options. You could spend two nights in Newport, exploring the mansions, Cliff Walk, winery, etc...

Or - you could drive down to Hyannisport Wed evening and check into a hotel. Take the High Speed Ferry out to Nantucket (I don't think it goes to Martha's Vineyard) on Thursday for a day trip. This would probably require reservations. You could rent bikes out there, or take a guided island tour, shop, lunch, explore, etc. Return to your base hotel at night.

Whatever you plan, you must be in Boston by 2m on Friday - or plan on driving in around 8m. The rush hour traffic can be paralyzing, although you'll be heading "in" as opposed to everyone heading "out."

Good Luck! Let us know what you decide!

Old May 17th, 2005, 06:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I think that salem, for the Peabody Museum is worth the stop otherwise,,,,
Rockport's Halibut point, a state park that offers magnifiscent views over the rocks looking out to sea and is a great picnic stop (hide the wine) or lunch there at "My Place", that overlooks the water.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -