How does Lincoln Haymarket compare to Omaha's Old Market area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once or twice a year we stay in/near Omaha's Old Market area for a quick weekend getaway. We like the ambiance and enjoy some of Omaha's attractions. How does Omaha and its Old Market area compare to Lincoln and its Haymarket area? We've never been to Lincoln but thought we might like to spend a weekend there. In addition to restaurants and quirky shops such as you find in pedestrian areas, we enjoy museums and things for our young children (5 and under). Thanks!
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 11:50 AM

I do not live in Lincoln, but my sister does so I visit a few times a year. We always go to the HayMarket. They have a wonderful farmer's market there (I think it is on Saturday). Also, when I was there the first weekend in May the art museums where open late on Friday night, so we ate at the Indian Oven (YUM) and walked through the art museums in the HayMarket.
I live on the East coast, but love visiting Lincoln, my sister always has interesting things for us to see and do, plus Lincoln is so clean and kid friendly. The Lincoln Children's Zoo is great! I would def recommend checking out Lincoln for a long weekend
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 12:39 PM

If you've got kids under 5, the Lincoln Childrens Museum is an absolute must see. It is on P Street between 14th St. and 15th St (although 15th St. is officially known as Cenntenial Mall); that puts it about a 5-10 minute walk straight east of the Haymarket. I'm almost 30 years old and I had a blast when I went there with my young nieces. There is also a great playground (lots and lots of equipment all connected together) near the intersection of "A" Street and Capitol Parkway/Normal Boulevard (Capitol Parkway and Normal Blvd is the same street, but it is one of those streets that just suddenly changes its name somewhere along the way). To get to the playground, take "A" Street east, then a few blocks past 27th St. you should turn on Memorial Dr.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 02:26 PM

Hey Bitter... I'll be in Omaha next week. Can you recommend a restaurant?
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Any more comments? Anyone stay at the Holiday Inn near Haymarket?

Tx: We hadn't been to Omaha for a while but we were there the weekend before last: In Old Market we ate at M's pub (overated ambiance, doesn't resemble a pub, but consistently good food) and Zio's pizza (good pizza; no ambiance). We were really sorry to see our old favorite, Howard Street Pizza/Pub closed down. Enjoyed a couple coffee houses for coffee, dessert and/or wireless internet (trying out my new PPC per a post on the European board). Sat. night we headed waaaay west for Buca di Bepo (sp) the chain (we hadn't been for a while and didn't realize how far West it was). In past visits we have enjoyed the Mexican restaurant in the passageway (Trini's?) for ambiance/location, but haven't eaten there for a year or so. There is a brewery which has been ok in the past, but didn't eat there this time (remember when breweries were kind of novel, but now all seem similar?). There are some higher end restaurants we haven't been to in that area, too.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 05:15 AM

Hey TxTravelPro:
I live in Omaha. What area are you staying at?
NorthwardBound
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Tess

We lived in Lincoln when our kids were younger--it's a great town for families. As other posters have mentioned, the zoo is small but fun. Across from the zoo, you might want to take a stroll through the sunken gardens. The adults will enjoy the flowers--the kids will love running around and letting off some energy Lincoln has a wonderful children's museum--definitely check that out.

The Haymarket area is smaller than the Old Market, but it has its own charm. You might check on a website or with the Lincoln Chamber of Commerce for the dates of Haymarket Days--that's a fun event (seems like it's in mid-June. Don't limit yourself to the Haymarket--nearby downtown itself is fun to stroll through. We've stayed at the Holiday Inn--great location. If you want to go a little more upscale, Embassy Suites is a few blocks away and is wonderful.

As far as restaurants go, Lazlos in the Haymarket would be a good choice with kids. Also, Spaghetti Works in downtown is perfect for families. If you like good coffee, the Haymarket's Old Mill is for you. Have fun!

Old Jun 4th, 2005, 08:05 PM

Hi Northward... I hope you are still around to respond!
I am staying at the Hilton on Cass Street.
If it exists in Omaha, I would like to find a "New American" Bistro type place.
Innovative salads, sandwiches and excellent soups.
I prefer independant restaurants and don't mind driving a bit.
If thats a stretch, what would you suggest?
Thanks so much!
~Laura
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

txtravelpro: Ironically, M's Pub (which I mentioned earlier and isn't really a pub in my opinion) may meet your definition of a New American Bistro.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 08:36 AM

M's Pub is a perennial favorite. This was the first place I ever had escargot that was out of this world. I still remember the crusty roll that came with it, the garlic, the basil all the butter and no silly shells or puff pastry. This was back in the early 90's. As Bitter mentioned it's probably the closest to American Bistro in the area.

www.mspubomaha.com

I've listed a few other favorites just to tempt you.

Check out the restaurant in the Hilton where you're staying. Their Liberty Tavern restaurant has innovative food. It's of the style of hotel restaurant where the executive chef has his name on the menu. He uses the corporate backing to fund an elegant space.

Delice at the west end of the Old Market has incredible desserts. There are a few restaurants about town that feature Delice's desserts on their menu. It's more of a super casual lunch kind of place. I've had excellent sandwiches from them. They serve beer & wine.

www.deliceeuropeanbakery.com

Passport is pretty upscale and has great food. I haven't eaten there in a couple of years but my friends who live there enjoy it.

www.passport-restaurant.com

The French Cafe has some great food too. Though it's surely not an American bistro.

www.frenchcafe.com

V Mertz is in the beautiful passage. The passage is so lush and has a secluded feeling. This is my friends' wedding anniversary place. I've eaten there serveral times and always enjoyed it. It's a small, intimate space. When alone I usually eat at the small bar.

www.vmertz.com

I think this was the brew pub mentioned previously. It's a great casual place. I've gone there with my friends and their young children. This is like many brew pubs. They started with beer. The food was an afterthought. Not so any more. Beer may bring them in but you must have the food to go with it.

The smoked gouda and blonde ale soup is excellent. I've had several great lunches there enjoying their pizza, sandwiches, soups along with the beer.

www.upstreambrewing.com
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 07:41 PM

Wow, I appreciate the assistance... and with urls too!
They all look awesome!
I'll let you know which I select and give a little report on it.
~Laura