Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How do you pronounce Fodors?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-do-you-pronounce-fodors-183261/)

Holly Mar 27th, 2002 11:40 AM

How do you pronounce Fodors??

Oaky, this may seem silly, but I'm a stickler for getting details right. A friend and I pronounce Fodors differently and want to know which is correct. I figured this was the best place to look for an answer. Here are the two pronunciations (emphasis on part of word in all caps):<BR><BR>1) FOE doors<BR><BR>2) Fo DOORS<BR><BR>Which is correct? If you aren't sure feel free to say how you pronounce it (whether it's a pronunciation listed above or not). We both know others who pronounce it the way we do, so we're at an impasse.<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>

Kristin Mar 27th, 2002 11:42 AM

My mom is in the travel industy and she says it's pronounced "fodders". Who knows?

onewhoknows Mar 27th, 2002 11:47 AM

Take it from someone who knows -- it's FOE-doors -- the softball team is called the Fodors sedans if that helps...

AMMV Mar 27th, 2002 11:53 AM

FA-DERS

I'm right, you're not so neener neener Mar 27th, 2002 11:55 AM

Kristin is right. It's "fodders". But I prefer Holly's #2 above.

x Mar 27th, 2002 11:59 AM

I thought it was FOE ders.

Patrick Mar 27th, 2002 12:01 PM

If someone told me to pronounce it fodders -- it would be like that song --"hello, mudder, hello, fodder!" Surely you aren't serious. It has to be a long O sound. FOE - dors.

x Mar 27th, 2002 12:17 PM

Tell your hoodlum friends outside, you ain't got time to take no ride ... in their fodor hardtop 98.

Meriam Webster Mar 27th, 2002 12:50 PM

It's pronounced:<BR><BR>ID-e-ots

Sausage Mar 27th, 2002 01:14 PM

This topic stinks like rotten kielbasa, so it must be pronounced with what it rhymes: ODOR(s)

my Mar 27th, 2002 01:16 PM

R-O-L-A-I-D-S

Holly Mar 27th, 2002 01:19 PM

Thanks for your ever-so-helpful reply, Meriam Webster. Name-calling is always such a classy and intelligent response to a valid question.<BR><BR>Aside from your pronunciation (which I'll be the first to tell you is far from the mark), I'm surprised to see so many pronounce it "fodders". That pronunciation never even occured to me. In both our pronunciations (my friend's and mine) the Os are pronounced "Oh", not "ah". Now my curiosity is piqued. I wish someone from Fodors would reply and set the record straight!

Mickey Mar 27th, 2002 02:04 PM

Foe-dors? Is that not a coupe? You know a car with more than 2 doors.

Helper Mar 27th, 2002 02:22 PM

Just check...<BR><BR>www.fodors.com/about/us/ftp_about_roots.cfm

Holly Mar 28th, 2002 06:58 AM

Okay, according to the "About Fodors" page, the correct pronunciation rhymes with "motors" (close to my pronunciation, #1 above). Given the responses listed here, that makes quite a few people who mispronounce the name (my friend included), as well as all the people who pronounce it "fodders". It is a tricky one, but mystery solved.<BR><BR>Thanks for all the replies.

huh? Mar 28th, 2002 07:11 AM

Holly: "Name-calling is always such a classy and intelligent response to a valid question."<BR><BR>Where was the valid question?<BR><BR><BR><BR>

kdyuru Mar 28th, 2002 12:54 PM

it was valid.

SBresident Mar 28th, 2002 01:12 PM

Obviously the question (about pronunciation) was not only valid, but common enough for Fodors to have addressed it on their web site. Valid question, interesting answer. Thanks for the thread.

Kristin Mar 28th, 2002 02:51 PM

Sorry Holly, but you were wrong too! (unless you pronounce motor MOE DOOR)<BR>It looks to me more like a combo of the 2 most common mispronunciations- <BR>FOE DERS. Now we can all rest easy... ;))

Holly Mar 28th, 2002 10:02 PM

Yep, Kristin, I realize that my pronunciation was off... that's why I wrote "CLOSE to my pronunciation." It was good of you to speak up and point out that flaw, though, just in case I hadn't understood the concept of "rhymes with motor". As for resting easy on the subject, I have been since I learned the correct pronunciation. <BR><BR>(FYI to all: I won't be visiting this thread again since my question has already been answered. Thanks to everyone who helped or gave constructive input, and especially to "helper" who pointed me to the proper page on Fodor's site.)