How do you get roaches out of your luggage?

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Goatman

How do you get roaches out of your luggage?

I've never posted a message before but I've been lurking here awhile trying to get ideas for our vacation to Hawaii. You may think this isn't a serious question, but it most definitely is. My wife is utterly phobia about roaches. She thinks roaches will get into our luggage and we'll bring them back home with us where they will infest our house. Is there something we can do to prevent that? I thought about leaving our bags outside for a day or two, but that doesn't seem practical. What do you do about roaches in your luggage?

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We got rid on cockroaches in our old (not current) apartment using "chinese chalk".

Don't know if it's the same type of roaches. And don't even know the correct name of that chalk!

We'd go to a chinese store ask for "cockroach chalk" then draw lines along kitchen furniture and appliances.

You can do this with your luggage: put on the floor and draw a full circle around. IF they cross those lines they'll die. I am serious.

We didn't buy it for a while, but back then, maybe 10 years ago, they sold it 3 for $1.

If you have pets - don't know if safe.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 10:06 AM

Call Cheech. Or Chong.

Oh, you mean THOSE roaches!!
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 10:10 AM

I've been to Hawaii many many times, and have never, ever even seen a roach. Not in a hotel, not in several condos, not in a rental car, not in a restaurant, not in a beach-side restroom. And, after living in places like Houston and Florida, where they are everywhere, I'm very familiar with them. If there is such great concern, just make sure you shake everything out before and after packing!
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 10:14 AM
TheWeasel

Well, if you keep your luggage zipped shut while you're there, they won't be able to get in.

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 10:27 AM

When you get home take your bags immediately to your back yard or whatever you have. Take all the clothes out and shake them like you shake a rug. Then put them into your laundry machine. If you don't have those kind of facilities bring your bags to a commercial laundry and put everything through a washer before you bring the clothes and bags home.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 10:36 AM
GoTravel

It is well documented that roaches do not like to fly.

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 10:37 AM

Send the luggage through USAir in Phila. You'll never see it again.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 10:37 AM

Troll, maybe? My wife was worried about bring back a couple of gekkos in her suitcase.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 10:41 AM
z

'put on the floor and draw a full circle around'
Faina, you forgot to add all those candles needed to perform a whole ritual. Chanting may help as well.

Lived in Hawaii and never saw one roach
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 10:42 AM
gc

I haven't been here in a while (work, work, work)...it's good to see that some things don't change.

Why not pack a Roach Motel in each bag?
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 10:45 AM
JJ5

When young- well younger anyway- I worked in pharmacy and in pharmaceutical distribution centers. All of these places, like shipping yards etc. have roaches somewhere in the shipped boxes or goods.

Once I found one in the cuff of my pants. After that I never took my purse in the house and used to leave my outer coat outside in a screened porch as well and shake everything out before I brought it in with me.

And for a trip I would do exactly as jorr has described. Exactly the same.

I'm paranoid about this because I have been in ultra clean facilities and have taken in medical packaging, dropped it at the door or dock (too heavy) and have had three or four run out upon the package hitting the ground.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 10:49 AM
emd

GoT, we had BIG flying roaches when I lived in TX. They literally flew across the room. BIG ones. With wings. No kidding.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 10:49 AM
GoTravel

I would like to turn jorr in to the SPCA for his abuse of cockroaches.

I cannot believe anyone would suggest beating the roaches and any of you would condone this abominal behavior.

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 10:52 AM

LOL Z, this should be a "theme" idea for a get-together!

JJ5, these are some horrific experiences!

GoTravel I am with you! Turning Jorr in to the PETA people, they are fierce! (SPCA helps animals, PETA fights humans)
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 10:54 AM
emd

Goatman, has your wife ever had a phobia about roaches in the luggage when you've gone other places? And if you think you have to prevent the roaches, instead of help your wife w/the phobia, well.....

ok, let's take a poll. How many of us have had roaches come back in our luggage from a trip and infest our house?
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 11:01 AM
GoTravel

emd, be real.

Roaches will not fly domestic coach airlines. They initiated a boycott about 12 years ago.

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 11:04 AM

We went to Kauai last summer. Our rental car was infested with roaches. I am surprised that we did not bring any home. YUK!!!! We emptied out our luggage in the laundry room and washed everything immediately. We have not seen a roach. By the way, our hotel was roach free.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Goatman

Oh no, no, I'm not a troll. At least I don't think so. This may be a ridiculous question, but it is a real one. (BTW, I meant "phobic" in my original post.)

We've never had a problem in our travels before, but my wife says that when she lived in the tropics as a military brat, they accidentally brought roaches with them in their move back to the states - the orgins of the phobia, I suppose.

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Is your wife worried about picking up head lice and bed bugs from strange beds? That happens all the time. It would worry me a lot more than big cockroaches. At least you can SEE roaches.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -