Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How do you get over the last day vacation blues?

Sep 8th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

I don't know about you guys, but the last day of vacation is always a bummer for me, sometimes the night before! I almost don't consider it a day of the vacation. More like the day your vacation "half ends," type of feeling.

Here's what I try to do to battle the last day blues.

1. Schedule something I really enjoy for the very last day, like golf at the best course there.

2. Buy something on the trip that I can really look forward to enjoying when I go home.

3. Here's a good one, though a bit expensive. Schedule another "mini vacation" a couple weeks later. Maybe a three day weekend type of short getaway. Something to look forward to. Of course, you then face the same problem again!

Other ideas out there?

Sep 8th, 2004, 10:23 AM

Make love all day to the point of exhaustion so you can't wait to get home to rest.
Sep 8th, 2004, 10:27 AM

What works for me is planning the next holiday, even if it's months in advance. Although I like your idea of a mini-getaway - hadn't thought of that one before!
Sep 8th, 2004, 10:32 AM

I like everyone's ideas, but we did finally find a way to completely eliminate the last day vacation blues after years of trial and error.

We go for no less than 10 days on two big vacations a year (and up to 14 days for each). We found that is the optimum amount of time, and we are ready to get back home and back to work.

We also take several smaller 3 or 4 day trips interspersed between the two big trips.

This may not be practical for everyone, but it sure works great for us.

No feeling like we just got there and relaxed and have to turn around and come home. That's worth having to take some of it unpaid to both of us!

Happy travels!
Sep 8th, 2004, 10:39 AM
GoTravel

Fortunately, the fact that we live in a resort destination makes it much easier for us.

Maybe you could set up an area inside or outside your home that is the flavor of your vacation? Hamocks and tiki torches?

Sep 8th, 2004, 11:36 AM

For me, the thought of going back to work is what really bums me out on the last day of vacation. I try to schedule an extra vacation day to relax and avoid having to go back the minute I return home. I also begin planning my next vacation to always have something to look forward to.
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:13 PM

I always come home two days before I have to go back to work. I do not want to get home and then get up and go to work.

I also start planning another trip the minute I get home. It's the only way to get through it!!!
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

I think the extra day off when you get back home is a good idea. Planning your next vacation is a good one as well.

That way, you're always either taking a vacation or planning for one (which is fun in itself).
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Jayne1973

I just remind myself that I'm on vacation until I walk in the door to my home and try to savor every morsel of time.

Sep 8th, 2004, 02:27 PM

Wherever I go, after about a week I've had it with the food, smoking, uncomfortable beds, "museum back", living out of a suitcase, visiting "yet another church", driving 5 hours a day, hiking 10 miles a day, having to make constant decisions on where to eat, where to go & what to do, squeezing as many activities as possible into a short period of time...vacations, though I love 'em, can be exhausting! It's great to go, but also nice to come home.
Sep 8th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Kal

gojacks, And for those of us that do that EVERY day on vacation, what are we supposed to do? .\/
Sep 8th, 2004, 10:44 PM

Last day blues? I've been home from Hawaii for over 5 weeks now and can't shake that feeling! I still linger in the shower inhaling the yummy scent of the soap I brought home from our resort. Forget about leaving my heart in San Francisco... Mine's in Hawaii! Have I got it bad or what? Does any one else lay in bed at night stategizing about opening up a shave ice stand in their home town?
Sep 9th, 2004, 12:14 AM

I agree with Diana. We used to go on 7-10 day vacations and always had major blues starting the day before we had to come back. Just increasing them to two weeks or more made all the difference. We've found this is especially true for relaxation destinations like Hawaii, where many (I'd even say most) people don't start to really relax until several days into the vacation. 7-10 days just isn't long enough -- by the time you really get into "island mode" it's time to come back!
Sep 9th, 2004, 10:13 AM

1. I pay my my bills in advance so we don't have "sticker shock" when we get home, that includes credit card bills/utilities, etc.

2. Wake up early the day of or stay up late the night before departure, just to soak up the serenity.

3. Like mentioned above- start planning your next trip
Sep 9th, 2004, 10:30 AM

...fly home from a great 14 day Vancouver/Victoria/Seattle vacation a few hours before the airport closes due to (another) hurricane coming...my workplace was damaged and closed for several days and I had a great add on vacation without power at home....sigh, ...Bring it on Ivan !
Sep 17th, 2004, 10:05 PM

Plan something wonderful to come home too. This is very important to newlyweds, returning from the honeymoon. All the planning and parties, wedding, and HMtrip, you need to come home to something fun to ease into reality. Don't end the joy walking through the door.
Sep 18th, 2004, 07:11 AM

Maybe I am wierd. I love to get home. I love to travel, but to me, there is NO place like home. There is no bed more comfy, no pillow as soft, I love my privacy, my house, my pets. I love to sit and go through my mail when I get home (sans the bills) and check phone messages. I do not always look forward to the mountains of laundry, but I love coming home.