Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How do you "dress up" in Maui? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-do-you-dress-up-in-maui-240161/)

ajj Jul 16th, 2002 12:01 PM

How do you "dress up" in Maui?

If you are going to a nice restaurant, what do you wear? Is everything casual?

think Jul 16th, 2002 12:09 PM

Is it me or does it seem that Hawaii has an inordinate percentage of clueless tourists?<BR><BR>Can't you people even dress yourselves?

AJ Jul 16th, 2002 12:17 PM

Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful response.

can'tstandit Jul 16th, 2002 12:31 PM

People, it isn't just Hawaii that has "clueless" visitors. Sadly, it seems that most travelers in this country are clueless, selfish, duh,etc.<BR>People want someone to tell them where to go, what to do, when to do it,where and what to eat, what to wear, how the weather will be, what airline to fly on, which cabin on what floor on what ship on which route and which tour to take. Oh well.

Peter Jul 16th, 2002 12:34 PM

Give poor AJJ a break...<BR><BR>Author: AJJ ([email protected])<BR>Date: 07/09/2002, 01:53 am<BR>Message: Every time I come back to look for responses to my post, the order of these posts is all switched around. What's the deal here?<BR> <BR>

nyc Jul 16th, 2002 12:39 PM

ajj:<BR><BR> Dress in Hawaii in general is very casual. For even the fanciest places on Maui (say Spago at the Four Seasons), a collared shirt for men , with slacks and shoes (no sneakers) is perfectly fine. The only place I've ever heard of requesting a jacket (and now it is only suggested) is La Mer in Honolulu.

ilive Jul 16th, 2002 03:36 PM

Glad you asked AJ, I haven't any idea what to wear to a nice restaurant either.<BR><BR>In fact, I was also wondering about the restrooms in Maui. Should I wipe front to back, or back to front. I just don't know. Thanks for your help!

disgusted Jul 16th, 2002 06:31 PM

What is WRONG with you people? I used to enjoy this message board. It's starting to make me sick! But, isn't that the reaction you sick people wanted? Of course!<BR><BR>I guess the only way you can feel big and important is to try and make other people feel small by putting them down. The thing is, YOU shoud be sick -sick of yourselves.<BR><BR>Even if this is a joke and you are purposely trying to provoke others, what kind of 5 year-olds think this kind of stuff is funny, let alone 20, 30, 40, 50 year-olds? UGGGGG!

been there Jul 16th, 2002 07:27 PM

Aloha shirt for men, moo-moo for women.

ajj Jul 16th, 2002 07:32 PM

Thanks for the great advice. I'm going to go right out and buy a big mumu. I'll wear a lei, too. Maybe a grass skirt. Boy, will I be look cool!<BR><BR>I am so impressed by how clever and witty you all are. What intelligence! <BR><BR>When you visit the ski town where I live, you'll probably be one of those tourists with the big fat fur boots on. Looking good!

ajj Jul 16th, 2002 07:34 PM

Thank you to those of you who actually posted a real response. I was just wondering whether or not to pack a linen suit. I didn't realize it was such an idiotic question. Excuuuuuuuuse me.

Carin Jul 16th, 2002 11:00 PM

Sorry about these idiots, ajj. It is not a stupid question. People DO dress differently in different parts of the country. Hawaii and California are more casual than back east. In California you can wear shorts to church! Just wear a nice polo shirt and slacks (man)or a casual dress/pantsuit (woman). You don't need a Hawaiian shirt or a muumuu. Have a wonderful trip - try the ono (fish) - delicious!

Laura Jul 17th, 2002 07:16 AM

Hi ajj,<BR>I posted this morning on this subject but it must not have gone through so here goes.. You can dress anyway you want to. It seems that anything goes. We love to wear Tommy Bahama clothing. It is light and airy but we see a lot of t's and shorts. The Japanese women cover up from head to toe. They have the most beautiful porcelin(sp) skin. They would be bacon in no time. In Kaanapali is is very casual. In Wailea it's a bit more dressy because Wailea is more upscale. We laugh ourselves silly when we see some women at the pool wearing leopard bikini's and gold lame spiked heals with their hair piled about 8' high. How pretentious. I guess it is up to what your comfort level is and what you are comfortable in. In restaurants, I usually (depending on what part of Maui I'm in) wear a shorter style Tommy Bahama dress and a low healed sandal or a nice pair of dress slacks. If I'm eating more casual at lets say Hula Grill or Leilani's in Kaanapali I just wear shorts and so does my husband.

xxx Jul 17th, 2002 07:52 AM

If that linen suit has a lining in it, I'd not take it. That lining will stick to you like seran wrap.

hans Jul 17th, 2002 09:37 AM

It's a reasonable question. Hawai'i is different. You won't see any ties and few jackets at some of the fanciest places. For men, dress slacks and an aloha shirt wil be dressed up. For women, slacks with a nice top or a mu'm mu'u is almost always appropriate. <BR><BR>How do you know if you don't ask?

doyou Jul 17th, 2002 09:52 AM

It's not that different. Someone tell me where in this country people still wear a jacket and tie to dinner, and don't say San Francesco or Manhattan because we all know that's a crock. "In all but the fanciest places" applies to the rest of the country as well as Hawaii.<BR><BR>You dress the same in Hawaii as you would in any other city in the US when it's 80 degrees out. Where do you think you are going? Some exotic forein country? It's Hawaii for crying out loud!<BR><BR>Oh, and muu-muus are unacceptable attire ANYWHERE!!!!!!<BR><BR>

Leslie Jul 17th, 2002 10:09 AM

By "muu muu" I think people mean a full length flowered Hawaiian print shift rather than the old style dumpy gathered dress. You can wear a regular length shift as well or long near casual pants.<BR><BR>For men, either a collared polo shirt or short sleeved print shirt. <BR><BR>Funny, I did a consulting job in Honolulu about 10 years ago with a big 5 accounting firm. We mainlanders arrived in business suits and the partners in the firm wore slacks with Hawaiian print shirts made with the fabric turned inside out to the muted side. I joked that this was their equivalent to a three piece suit and that at night they must turn their shirts right side out to the bright side and go disco dancing!<BR><BR>We saw a guy in the elevator in a three piece pin stripped suit and when we gave him an odd look he just said "I'm flying home to San Francisco."

hans Jul 18th, 2002 10:45 AM

A mu'u mu'u in hawaii can be quite different than a house dress. Many are very attractive and they come in numerous styles. It can be "dress up" in Hawai'i. Back to my original point....Hawai'i is different. The culture, history, location all mean it's not the same at a nice restaurant. I live both in Hawai'i and Colorado. In some case I'll wear the same thing; in other's, I'll wear somethign quite different.

Ang Jul 18th, 2002 10:56 AM

It is not a crock that in some places people dress up more than others! I am from a more rural area (city of about 150-200k people) There people including my parents where jeans almost anywhere. Going out to eat they dress up in a nicer sweater or top maybe and wear dressier shoes (not tennis shoes) but would still wear casual jeans to dinner. At REALLY fancy places maybe a pair of black dress pants and top for women. I now live in a large city (chicago) and cannot remember the last time I wore jeans to dinner or out to the movies or anywhere except maybe McDonalds or my weekend trip to Target. People just dress up more here its true.<BR><BR>To answer your qquestion about Hawaii, it is more casual. To be safe a sundress and nice sandals are always appropriate. You can be dressed up or down in this. (is flat sandals and less jewelry for casual, for dressier restaurant, same dress with high heel sandals and more jewelry)

joan Jul 18th, 2002 11:46 AM

"doyou" is right about the whole country going casual. On our first trip to New Orleans, we had reservations for the Sunday Jazz Brunch at Arnaud's. Jacket required for men. My husband wore a suit jacket (after I won the argument) and guess what? The guy at the next table was wearing jeans and a scruffy flannel shirt, two tables away was Tshirt and jeans... I don't think I'll ever have any dress code credibility after that!