Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How do you carry your stuff around when you are on the beach?

Oct 8th, 2001, 05:50 AM
silly

Sorry about this silly question.
But do you bring your stuff with you in the water? Or do you leave it in the car? But I thought it's unsafe to leave stuff in the car. I don't want to be constantly watching our stuff. Please advise.

Oct 8th, 2001, 06:00 AM
Wendy

Silly,
Are you walking or driving to the beach??? Also, what beach??

Oct 8th, 2001, 06:01 AM
x

If you're worried about car keys and maybe some cash, get a waterproof fanny pak - hard plastic with a rubber seal. Works great for snorkeling or just going in the water. Try Sports Authority. Or at www.diversdirect.com under 'dry boxes'. The smaller ones usually have a cord to wear as a necklace. Hope this helps!

Oct 8th, 2001, 06:04 AM
lena

Put valuables in your trunk before you reach the parking area. You don't want anyone to see you put your purse, camera, etc...then take minimal valuables with you. There are little plastic tubes you can keep with you with the car key and essentials. Otherwise, leaving food, shoes, toys, etcc on your beach towel is usually safe. Just look over periodically. Where are you going?

Oct 8th, 2001, 06:34 AM
lily

I keep my valuables to a minimum, but I usually bury my car keys and things like that in the sand beneath my towel. So far so good.

Oct 8th, 2001, 07:25 AM
Ally

Lily, what if your towel blows away?

Oct 8th, 2001, 07:52 AM
Diane

Carry a ziplock baggie for those carkeys etc. or bury them under your little cooler. We've gone to the beach at Assateague, VA for many years and never had a problem. We were a little "off" on where we once buried carkeys, credit card at a nearly deserted beach on Vieques, PR and spent about half an hour frantically digging. Obviously we were successful in our search!

Oct 8th, 2001, 08:08 AM
D.J.

Order a Magellans catalog for free on line.They have a couple of different waterproof packs you can swim with.

Oct 8th, 2001, 09:43 AM
amber

I've used dry boxes (mentioned earlier) which work extremely well. Made of hard plastic in several different sizes, you can fit keys, credit cards and cash in them. The box has a cord which you can hang around your neck or tie onto your bathing suit. I took mine to Hawaii this year and used it while diving and snorkeling. The units were completely watertight and worked great.

Oct 8th, 2001, 10:29 AM
Ellen

Okay, this is probably the dumbest suggestion, but it has always worked for me. I bought one of those books that when you open it are really not a book. I put the keys, cell phone & some cash for snacks in that, and mix it up in a pile of other books that I have brought to read. The rest of the valuables are locked in the glove compartment or left at home. Crazy, but it works. Once when I was taking a walk on the beach, someone stole my entire beach bag (foolishly thinking I left money in it). The fake book was still on the towel. Of course you have to remember to put your phone on 'silent'. A rining book is a dead giveaway! By the way, I only bring a throw away camera to the beach. Wouldn't risk sand or water on the good one.

Oct 8th, 2001, 04:58 PM
Marcie

Ellen, I don't think your idea is foolish at all....I love it! Especially if it is a "boring" looking book. Where do you buy these fake book boxes? I've seen them but it was many years ago. Thanks!

Oct 9th, 2001, 05:34 PM
silly

Thanks for all your answers. It's great. But I have one more silly question. How about the camera if I want to bring one? What did you guys do?

Oct 10th, 2001, 05:54 AM
lena

what beach are you going to? I guess we don't wander to far from our stuff and I keep glancing over. As long as it's not laying out for anyone to see you should be fine. The bigger problem with the camera is getting sand in it. Make sure you have a case or a disposible one. If you're going to be wandering off or leaving your towel area for a while then leave more things in the car and get them when you're ready to stay near your stuff. People bring radios, phones, etc... and most of the time they're still there when you return. Find a convenient spot to put down your things so you don't have to wander far and so it's in sight from the water.

Oct 10th, 2001, 11:20 AM
Mom

I put a small amount of money and a credit card in the bottom of my ice chest in a ziploc bag before I leave the house. Never had a problem, as even thieves don't want to rummage through an ice chest or try to haul it away.

Oct 11th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Stephanie P.

Silly:

My only advice is to stay at a hotel/motel that is across the street or on the ocean so you can walk back and forth. I'll never have enough gear for the ocean - the sunscreen, hat, chair and towel are a challenge to me.

Oct 11th, 2001, 02:46 PM
edith

Is Silly joking?!