Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How do you break into new shoes? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-do-you-break-into-new-shoes-733169/)

FainaAgain Aug 31st, 2007 09:07 AM

How do you break into new shoes?

I mean the formal type, not the walking - leather shoes. Are there any tricks to it?

I have a pair waiting for me at home :((

FainaAgain Aug 31st, 2007 09:12 AM

Never mind, I'll re-post in the lounge. Yeah, I know :)

5alive Aug 31st, 2007 09:13 AM

Is it a really stiff leather? How high is the heel?

gail Aug 31st, 2007 09:15 AM

One thing to do is to roughen up the bottoms - with sand paper or on pavement. Saves slipping on carpet the first time you were them.

FainaAgain Aug 31st, 2007 09:15 AM

very low heel

FainaAgain Aug 31st, 2007 09:16 AM

Gail, when I asked my husband to sand-paper them, he said, no need, the San Francisco sidewalks will do the job in no time :)) He is right! Never had a problem with slipping for more then 10 minutes!

travelbug44 Aug 31st, 2007 09:40 AM

If you sand paper them you won't have slipping even for 10 minutes.

nytraveler Aug 31st, 2007 09:50 AM

I never buy shoes that need breaking in. If I can;t walk comfortably in them, they don;t get bought.

(Yes - evening shoes too - not that I can walk for miles but I can manage to trek around the Met for an hour. I avoid the ones that are only straps - they're never comfy - but make sure there is some sort of a toe. And never do heels over 3" - the 4 1/2" are good only for those under 25 - or Oscar candidates.)

The best tip is to roughen the soles so you don;t slip the first couple of times you walk.

dmlove Aug 31st, 2007 09:54 AM

<i>I never buy shoes that need breaking in. If I can;t walk comfortably in them, they don;t get bought.</i>

My thoughts exactly!!

nanabee Aug 31st, 2007 10:56 AM

what's wrong with flip flops? the cute formally type with glitz and glitter?
is their any other type of shoe.

suze Aug 31st, 2007 11:16 AM

I only buy shoes that are comfortable straight out of the box. Ones that need &quot;breaking in&quot; never do feel right.

dandj Aug 31st, 2007 01:50 PM

&lt;I never buy shoes that need breaking in. If I can;t walk comfortably in them, they don;t get bought.&gt;

y tu tambien

patg Aug 31st, 2007 02:23 PM

Wear them around the house for short amounts of time (you'll feel just like June Cleaver, doing housework in heels!) Wear them out for the first time to something like a dinner, where you won't have to be on your feet for long.

I had all kinds of problems with shoes, until I starting adding some removable pads at the heel of the foot. They really makes a difference in comfort.

suze Aug 31st, 2007 04:06 PM

Put on real thick socks and wear the shoes around the house.

Scarlett Aug 31st, 2007 04:26 PM

I quit buying shoes that did not feel perfect when I bought them. Too many shoes languished in the closet, til being given to Good Will, unworn.

NewbE Aug 31st, 2007 05:16 PM

The problem with &quot;breaking&quot; them &quot;in&quot; is that you're basically talking about stretching them--with thick socks, for example--in which case they'll still fit badly, but in a new way. I'd say if they're uncomfy but you have to or want to wear them anyway, just wear them, and bring blister Band-Aids.

gail Aug 31st, 2007 11:44 PM

Several years ago while snowed in for a few days, I had a moment of rare mental clarity. I cleaning out my closet and noticed the many pairs of shoes with heels that I had not worn in years. Beautiful shoes, but they all caused me pain every time I wore them. My leg and back structure simply do not allow me to be comfortable for longer than a few hours in such shoes.

They all went into a giant green trash bag. It was a wonderful freeing moment. Now I only buy and wear comfortable shoes. Not old lady shoes, just comfortable. For me, that means flats or very low heels.

suze Sep 1st, 2007 07:35 AM

right there with you Gail!

if shoes are not comfortable right away, they will never be comfortable in my experience. so i quit trying.

breaking in shoes is at the expense of breaking in your FEET... ouch.