Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How do we get the fish we catch back to Texas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hubby and I will be traveling up to Alaska to sight see and do some salmon fishing. I was wondering how might be the best way to get the fish back? We are flying on United Airlines and weren't sure if we should take a cooler with us on the trip or buy it there and how it would all work out. Or should we ship it separately and not take it back on the plane? Anyone know the best way to do this?

Thanks so much!
Old Jul 6th, 2013, 06:51 PM

There are processing places in most of the towns where fishing occurs. We had ours processed and shipped back to us in Oklahoma. It comes in a styrofoam cooler/container packed in dry ice. I think we ended up with 100+lbs. This was shipped in July and it was perfect when it arrived. It was a bit pricey, but top quality. I wouldn't attempt to carry and pack all that back home on an airplane, IMOP.
Old Jul 6th, 2013, 10:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
I was in Alaska for photography and some of the guys took home salmon. It was frozen in boxes and they checked it as luggage. I think they were 50# boxes. Have fun!
Old Jul 7th, 2013, 08:00 AM

We brought home 270 lbs of fish from Alaska to Chicago. The cost of shipping this would have been incredibly high and we used our full luggage allowance (we only packed carry-on) to get it all back home (we weren't charged for luggage as we are frequent flyers). Use a good fish processor and your fish will arrive home fine. My friends had to drive around 3 hrs after the flight and their fish was frozen and pristine when they got home. We all enjoyed this fish for almost a year, it's kinda of amazing how well it holds up.
Old Jul 7th, 2013, 08:19 AM

We saw a lot of ice chests heavily duck taped and checked as luggage.

Most of the bait shops/outfitters we saw had fish processing. Instead of canning I think they vacuum seal and freeze it now.
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 10:53 AM

If you are using a guide, they should take care of it (for a fee of course) since they do it all the time.
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 11:13 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
When we returned to the dock at a fishing camp on the Kenai Eiver in Alaska with our catch, they had forms for what we done wirh the fish..Smoked, frozen, etc and shipped to our home. It arrived in good shape.
We saw so many coolers being checked at the airport.
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 11:19 AM

Speaking of Smoked. Make sure you know the difference between Cold Smoked and Hot Smoked.

I guess Fishee is a better fisherman than us. HA
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 07:08 PM

Or just a fishy story.....