Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How do these rates sound for New Orleans in June?

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 10:01 AM
Karen

I got the following rates when I called around, could anyone tell me which are deals and which I should pass on? This is our honeymoon trip.

The Landmark French Quarter quoted me $99 night or $139 a night for a jacuzzi suite.

The St. Peter House hotel was $99/night.

The International House quoted me at $159/night, but I found an online rate at $129.

Bienville House was $110.

The Inn on Bourbon was $155/night for a non-balcony room.

The Dauphine Orleans is $149/night.

The Maison Dupuy is $139/night or $169/night for a room with a balcony.

The Place d'Armes was $129/night.

I swear, I have called every hotel in New Orleans! These seem to be the best deals...anyone have any recommendations?

I'm tempted to go ahead and book the Landmark Hotel because that jacuzzi room seems like such a great deal. My future husband isn't really into the frilly bed & breakfasts, unfortunately.

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 11:26 AM
Lily

Hi Karen,
I can only speak for the Bienville House, but the rate sounds fine. We stayed there this summer and it was nice.

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 12:16 PM
susancox

The Landmark is not in a great area. I'd avoid it. Despite your husband's resistance, I'd try a B&B in New Orleans. I have stayed in four and none were "frilly." Try La Maison Marigny, Parkview Marigny, or Lanaux House. All are on or near Esplanade and are very nice.

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 12:30 PM
John

Hi Karen. Those rates ALL sound a tad high mainly because it's too early for summer rates to be advertised. You're getting offered "normal" rates I believe.

Agree about the Landmark on Rampart. It's a motor hotel and the location ain't so hot. St. Peter House has gotten bad reviews (dirty!) on other boards. Inn on Bourbon is a Ramada motel, despite the nice name.

Int'l House, Bienville, Dauphine Orleans are all fine and I wouldn't hesitate to book one of those.

I really like the B&B idea (knowledgeable host/owner can really help make the trip special!) but you certainly want to make your husband happy on the first trip together!

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 12:41 PM
Karen

Would I be better off waiting a while to book, if the summer rates aren't out yet?

I'm very meticulous about planning, and since our date is set in stone, I didn't want to end up not getting a room because a convention of traveling toothbrush salesmen are going to be in town.

I'm so bummed about the Landmark Hotel thing! Everyone else wanted at least $350 a night for jacuzzi suites. I guess I should just count my blessings and figure that I probably won't want to sit in hot water anyway! I'll definitely check into those other ones...

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 04:02 PM
Karen

One more hotel for opinions...the Hampton Inn Downtown on Carondelet. While the Hampton isn't exactly what I had in mind for my honeymoon, the price is right and the jacuzzi is included.

Is this place decent, or is it seedy? Is it a comfortable walk to the French Quarter, or would we spend the money we saved staying there on cabs back and forth?

Thank you all so much!

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 04:36 PM
John

It's YOUR honeymoon so I certainly won't argue this point too strenuously, but what's the big deal about a jacuzzi? It's just a tub! You can have a heck of a lot of romance without those little jets of water, you know! I'd rather you find some great little inn or hotel with local charm rather than staying at a Hampton Inn because of the bathtub! How much you remember about your honeymoon will depend on the surroundings, neighborhood, and people you encounter!

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 05:51 PM
Karen

John,
You make a good point! I come from a part of the country (Western PA) where the closest you can get to romance at a hotel is a whirlpool tub with a few candles thrown in. We have very few bed & breakfasts and basically no hotels with charm. Nothing but Comfort Inns, AmeriSuites, Sheratons, etc.

I have to broaden my vision, so to speak!

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 06:08 PM
dana

Have you checked the Triple A book? They also list the hotels. My husband and I are going in April and we're staying at HOtel Provincial. It's a good location. Hotel Richelieu seems to be popular. I found one place in the Triple A book called Rue Royal Inn and they have a Jacuzzi suite or suites and their rates seem good. However, I don't know a thing about the place review-wise. I just thought it looked cute. However, pictures can be deceiving and I'd rather stay at a place that has a decent recommendation.
However, having been to N.O. five tiimes before, I do know that the summertime rates have been around $79 a night at several of the French Quarter Hotels/motels. Chateau Motor Inn looked cute too. Check out the various web-sites.

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 05:01 AM
Brian in Atlanta

If you were going in Dec, I could maybe understand springing for a jacuzzi, but in June, I think it will be the last thing you'll want to get in after a day touring.

We usually stay at the Dauphine Orleans and like it alot. But we usually are able to get a $99 AAA rate in early Dec. I would think rates similar to this would be available in the summer off season too. Go for a balcony room on Dauphine - the street is quiet at night. And there's a small pool in a cute courtyard.

And for a wonderful romantic meal, try Bayona right across the street.

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 07:17 AM
connie

Karen, remember to ask about taxes when you book a room. I remember New Orleans having a higher-than-normal hotel tax.

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 08:01 AM
Margaret

Have you thought about staying in the Garden District (St. Charles Ave.) - it is my favorite part of New Orleans. If you want a hotel downtown, try the LePavillon. The Doubletree also has good rates.

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 08:30 AM
Harry

I agree with one of the above posters. It is your honeymoon. Don't worry so much about rates. Concentrate on finding the perfect place!

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 09:58 AM
Karen

Harry:
I wish I could follow your advice! Unfortunately, we have overspent a bit on our wedding, so it's time for me to control myself and become budget conscious.

I just had a recommendation for a place called Dauzat House on Burgundy. It sounds nice, but I can't find a website or any pictures. Anyone familiar with this property?

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 10:25 AM
Lily

Karen,

Considering your previous response to Harry, please keep in mind that New Orleans is NOT a cheap vacation. I agree you will be able to find good hotel rates, but remember that if you are planning on spending time in the French Quarter you will need to spend money. This June we payed at least $7 per drink. I am not complaining, because we had a great time and that is always well worth the price - just wanted to let you know! Have fun and congratulations!!!

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 10:38 AM
Brian in Atlanta

While I have no problem paying $7 or more for a drink worthy of that price, there are plenty of places in the Quarter with "normal" and even cheap drink prices. In fact I would bet that $7 would be more the exception than the rule.

If you're talking about a Hurricane at Pat O'Brien's, I think I remember them being even more than $7, but they pack such a punch that even heavy drinkers will have trouble with 3 of them. The kind of trouble that requires a change of hotel room.

And I haven't found anything else in the Quarter more expensive than in other large cities, including food.

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 10:45 AM
Karen

Lily:

Thank you! We're very excited and can't wait for the wedding and honeymoon!

We're not really looking for a "cheap" vacation, we do have money to spend. I just want to spend it as wisely as possible. Since we are both uber-tourists we most likely won't be spending a lot of time in the hotel (aside from at night). I would rather spend the majority of our budget on good food, drink, and seeing all of the sights than on a hotel room.

We do want clean, but it doesn't have to be five star. Re-reading my post, I guess I did make it sound like we were misers.

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 11:52 AM
Mary Lynn

You do know, Karen, that it will be very hot and humid in New Orleans in June?

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 12:09 PM
Karen

Mary Lynn:
Sure, I know that. I'm familiar with the climate in the Southern US. Our other option was the Caribbean, and I doubt that would have been any less humid. We're just not going to let the weather keep us from going where we want to go.

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 01:51 PM
kd

I would definitely recommend you not staying on Burgundy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -