Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How do the roads to Hana and around western Maui compare with the road going up to Sequoia Nat'l Park?

Search

How do the roads to Hana and around western Maui compare with the road going up to Sequoia Nat'l Park?

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Lois

Now that my trip to Hawaii is getting close, I have one question regarding the roads frequently mentioned on Maui. I've read Maui Revealed, visited web sites and read all the comments about the two scenic road trips on Maui. My husband is not a nervous driver. However, I am very afraid of heights. I will never forget the drive up to Sequoia. It was the most harrowing drive of my life [although there was a road in West Virginia.....] because it was not only narrow and winding, but also several thousand feet up, and when looking out the side window, all you saw was space [if you looked down]. It was ten years ago, but I'm still having anxiety attacks just thinking about it. So, if anyone has traveled both roads, I'd appreciate a comparison.

Old May 8th, 2002, 05:19 PM
b

The Maui road is (At times) MUCH higher and more elevated than the road in Sequoia. The sensation of height is increased by the constant trips over the 1 way bridges that are SO high, with direct views down to the river far far below. Because the hills are so steep, you'll really feel like you're flying. It's truly AMAZING.

Old May 8th, 2002, 05:23 PM
hannah

What I can tell you is we "ran out" of daylight on the road to Hana. Leave plenty of time ...it took much longer than we thought although we did stop fairly often. I don't remember anything about heights because this does not bother me . That doesn't mean that it wasn't a factor so check further. All in all I remember the ride being fine and fun and of course quite lovely.

Old May 8th, 2002, 06:03 PM
scigirl

Lois,

I haven't traveled both roads - but I have done the road to Hana and I am afraid of heights. On the way to Hana the car will be in the inside lane. As the passenger you'll be on the side of the car away from the ocean. If you continue to drive in the same direction (past Hana and Oheo Gultch - "all the way around") you'll stay in this spot. I didn't have any problem although I drove my husband crazy with my comments ("watch out" "be careful" "beep before you take this tight curve") We really weren't near the edge and I was able to enjoy the great landscape.

If you turn around at Hana (or earlier) than you'll be on the outside edge of the road. There are some areas with guardrails, wider areas without, and some areas that are a bit scary. However, the road is two-lane and wide enough that you can always see ground near the car.

I hope this helps. It is a neat drive. Have a good trip.

Old May 8th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Lois

The road we took to Sequoia Nat'l Park went up several thousand feet with no guard rails what-so-ever. Can the road to Hana possibly be that high [or higher]?? I would have thought that would have been mentioned. Also, I don't see how it is possible. Does anyone know if that is true? IF so, it's definitely not for me, inside lane or not. That would be disappointing.

Old May 8th, 2002, 07:08 PM
crys

I've driven both the road to Hana and the drive up to Sequoia. The road to Hana is nowhere near as harrowing as the road up Sequoia. There's a couple of places on the road to Hana where you have a sense of height, but nothing like the relentless height and the feel that you could go over the edge at any time that you get at Sequoia. I'm not a nervous driver, but I had some sweaty palms in Sequoia.

Old May 9th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Lois

Thanks for the input. I wish someone could compare the road around western Maui with the road up to Sequoia since that is a shorter trip and is supposed to be nice, but seems a bit too nerve wracking. At least I know [or believe] that I can handle the road to Hana, judging from the comments here.

Old May 16th, 2002, 08:17 PM
cheryl

Lois,

I have traveled the road to Hana and Sequoia Nat'l park. I feel that the road to Hana is greatly is not the terrifying trip that Maui revealed makes out to be however, I don't have a fear of heights. The Sequoia Nat'l park has much wider roads and the "hair pin" curves are fewer and further between!!!!!!! I was able to drive and site see in Sequoia....this is not the case in Hana. All eyes must be on the road. Be sure you take turns driving. I also recommend taking a convertible for better views.

Old May 17th, 2002, 03:02 AM
Ken

Unless you are a nervous driver there is absolutely nothing nerve-racking about the road to Hana, and it is perfectly safe. However, the the drive around the northern part of West Maui is a different story.

Old May 17th, 2002, 05:05 AM
Lois

Thanks for the input. I suspect there must be more than one road to Sequoia, and maybe there is a 'less exciting' route than the one I took. You certainly could not take your eyes off the road [to Sequoia] the way we went! I've never encountered such steep, winding turns. The 11-12 miles took over an hour of nightmare turns and heights [with absolutely no guardrails] It sounds like I can handle Hana. I was hoping to give the road around western Maui a try, but it seems like that would be a bit 'more exciting' and a lot more nerve wracking! I am really looking forward to the trip. We just have a couple weeks to go!

Old May 17th, 2002, 05:02 PM
nick salem

just got home from 2 weeks. drive all the way arround as stated your on the inside lane away from drop offs. it is a long trip and no food to speak of so bring your food. the road is bumpy after you get past hana but not that bad. worth every mile enjoy in retrospect they do call it the road to divorce but we forgot extra food so we call it(the road to hunger). nick