Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   How do I pronounce these place names?! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/how-do-i-pronounce-these-place-names-799860/)

quiUK Aug 7th, 2009 01:29 PM

How do I pronounce these place names?!

Hi all,
Well my trip is all booked now, but throughout all my planning and booking accommodations, I've been doing it over email etc so realised that some place names may actually not be pronounced that same way as I've been saying it in in my head!

Torrey, UT: is it
TORE-ee
TORR-ee
tor-EE

Moab, UT: is it
MO-ab
Mobe
mo-AB

Chinle, AZ, is it:
CHIN-lee
CHIN-lay
chin-LEE
chin-LAY
chin-ELLE
CHIN-elle
or is the ch pronounced as sh?!

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

Bill_H Aug 7th, 2009 01:53 PM

moe-AB

chin-LEE

Scarlett Aug 7th, 2009 05:33 PM

TORE-ee

MO ab

CHIN lee

anymore? this is fun :D

Scarlett Aug 7th, 2009 05:34 PM

Wait a minute, better remember that I still have a tiny bit of Southern accent mixed with NY mixed with being here in South America... god knows what I sound like now ! and if I know how to pronounce Anything correctly ! :-)

Mary2Go Aug 7th, 2009 06:25 PM

Toe-ray

MO-ab

Chin-lay

I think..

annieO Aug 7th, 2009 06:47 PM

I go with Scarlett on the pronunciation of those places. Want some more places in Utah to figure out the pronunciation of?
Mantua
Tooele
Altonah
Ouray
Neola
Scipio
Parawan

quiUK Aug 8th, 2009 12:42 AM

Ha ha! Thanks everyone!

AnnieO - I've no idea, but I'd take an uneducated guess at:
manTOOa
tool
al-TONE-a
OO-ray
ne-OL-a
SKEE-pio
PA-ra-wan

Dayle Aug 8th, 2009 05:54 AM

I live in Utah and as far as I know:

Moab = MOW-ab
Chinle = CHIN-lay (I'll double check with a Navajo co-worker)
Torrey = TOR e
Mantua = Man too ah
Scipio = SIP e o
Ouray = U ray (Colorado)
Parowan = Pair o wan (does help if it's spelled right) :_)
Neola = Knee o la

and one of everyone's all time favorites:

Tooele = Too WILL a (Native American word)

You shouldn't have any problem with some of my most favorite Utah place names. These are very descriptive names and are worth visiting!

Muley Twist
Dead Horse Point
Hell's Backbone (a real place, not just a restaurant in Boulder)
Death Hollow
Little Wildhorse Canyon
Goblin Valley
Poison Spider (difficult trail in Moab)

Have fun and it's a good idea you asked. You will be a well-prepared visitor.

Dayle Aug 8th, 2009 05:57 AM

Oops - Tooele would be better in a written pronounciation as

Two WILL ah

Now let's see if BarbaraS see this. She's a native.

sludick Aug 8th, 2009 06:50 AM

Guess you need to be certain where the places are; sometimes the same name appears in more than one location, with different pronunciations.

When I moved from California to Virginia, I was corrected in how I pronounced the city name "Buena Vista." I those parts, they called their town "BOON-uh VIS-tuh."

My husband is from northern Ohio. Mantua is a city there, he and the other locals pronounce it "MAN-oo-way." Mostly the "t" is not pronounced. DH was born in Ravenna, OH; he says "Ruh-VANN-uh." So go figure.

I was born in Mukilteo.

lennyba Aug 8th, 2009 09:15 AM

Mukilteo's easy!

<---born in Everett

sheri_lp Aug 8th, 2009 10:03 AM

Try "You're-RAY" instead of "OO-ray"

sludick Aug 8th, 2009 10:16 AM

lennyba, I have family in Everett! There are some pretty odd looking place names around that area.

Toucan2 Aug 8th, 2009 01:36 PM

Not often you see Mukilteo on the boards! I grew up in Puyallup and Steilacoom, those are always fun to get people to pronounce.

Toucan2 Aug 8th, 2009 01:38 PM

Oh and I just read that Canyon de Chelly is not Shelly like I always thought, but d'shay (I think).

sludick Aug 8th, 2009 06:01 PM

Well, howdy, Toucan2! I do like those two names. My family settled in Camano Island originally (farm - sold it before the land got so pricey), then resettled in Mukilteo, Anacortes, Everett, Marysville, Westport. Family cemetary in Stanwood. Mostly not so strange names, but I don't often hear them. Thanks for Puyallup and Steilacoom.

stokebailey Aug 8th, 2009 07:40 PM

MO ab
CHIN lee
TOR e

It is Canyon duh SHAY
QUIuk, so glad you get to visit those places.

quiUK Aug 9th, 2009 09:49 AM

Thanks everyone - some great place names out there! One of my favourites is a place i saw on a map in Arkansas called Bald Knob. Not difficult to pronounce, but it means something completely different to us Brits!!

Stokebailey - good to hear from you! I think I replied on a couple of your threads about your trip to London. Did you have a good trip here? Hope so!

lennyba Aug 9th, 2009 10:30 AM

Sludick - Is that the old cemetary? I've been by there - my parents live on that east hill above Stanwood. :)

Toucan2 Aug 9th, 2009 12:13 PM

Sludick, it is surprising how those names will catch your eye, isn't it? Not really tourist destinations often (although I think taking the ferry at Mukilteo may occur occasionally and of course Boeing at Everett). I now life outside a small town, outside of KCMO, and was pretty surprised that my hairdresser had been to Puyallup not once but twice!