Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

how do I make the most of the 1 day New York City pass?

Sep 10th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

how do I make the most of the 1 day New York City pass? We are staying in Time Square and have bought the 1 day nyc pass and I need to have a plan so we get the most out of it.
Sep 10th, 2008, 07:30 PM

What "pass" are you talking about? If it's the Metro Card for transport, it will work on all subways and buses for 1 day, so it depends on what you want to see.
Sep 10th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

It is the New York pass...one day one price for unlimited sights.
Sep 10th, 2008, 07:53 PM

Is this it?

http://www.citypass.com/city/ny.html?id=wf7gxkCC
Sep 11th, 2008, 08:37 AM

Are you talking bout the $74 pass that's good for 9 days? Or what?

I don;t think you ever get your moeny's worth out of those things.

You shouldn;t be asking how to use the pass.

You should be figuring out what YOU want to do in your very limited time. Then do it - and ignore the silly pass - unless it gets you into what you want to see/do.
Sep 11th, 2008, 08:43 AM

you know...the pass.

Would it kill you, wykel to put a link to what you are talking about?
Sep 11th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Good grief I am just asking for a little help here, sorry!
http://www.newyorkpass.com
Sep 11th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Also, I've already bought the 1 day pass so I need to make the most of it.
Sep 11th, 2008, 05:14 PM

Have you looked at the list of all the sites available? You might start there, and decide what looks most interesting.

The Met Museum, start there (5th and 80th St) would take a full day just to see a part of it. Have lunch at the Met, lovely courtyard restaurant there so you might start there, and work your way downtown.

From there walk or bus down to the Central Park Zoo, 5th and 68th St)from there bus down to:

Museum of Modern Art (53rd between 5th and 6th) walk down to Rock Center (50th between 5th and 6th)

From there bus or walk down 5th Ave to do some shopping see the sites,

THe NY Public Library (42nd and 5th) and down to see the Empire State Building (34th and 5th).

Just right there, you've used up most of your day.

You might try a Harbour Cruise or the Staten Island Ferry to see the STatue of Liberty.

The one suggestion would be not to try and do sites that will have long lines out the door so you don't waste time in line (like the Empire State Building)

I'm sure others will have more suggestions for you, but here's a start. Also get a map of Manhattan, so you have some idea of where things are located in reference to the sites you really want to see.

Have a GREAT time and enjoy the city.
Sep 11th, 2008, 05:42 PM

travelbuff's idea of approaching things geographically makes a lot of sense. You could save a couple of hours that way.

Other sites along the way:
Guggenheim Museum: Much smaller than the Met, so you can be in and out in an hour if you like. It's "free" to you, so even if you just go in, take the elevator to the top floor, and walk down the ramp, you've seen something!

See if one of the boat tours is available very early or very late in the day. NOt really near your other locations, but it may be something to do before the other places open or after they close.

"Bodies The Exhibition" at South Street Seaport is open until 10 pm if that interests you. Madame Tussauds is also open late.

As you can probably tell, most of us don't recommend these kinds of pre-paid passes, especially for one day, because they generally don't make sense financially.
But, we hope you cram in as much fun as you can on your trip, and tell us how it went! Lots of people wonder about the various passes, and hearing from someone who has actually used it will help some people.
Sep 11th, 2008, 05:47 PM

My goodness vpj - what the heck crawled up there and died today? Give the OP a break-highly doubtful she or he is online all day long. Your response was totally rude, and on behalf of NY-ers I apologize to Wykel for that.
Sep 11th, 2008, 08:33 PM

With the pass you can move to the front of the line in the Empire State Building but there is still a line.

Since you only have 1 day, you should plan your day not only by location but also by opening and closing times.

If you're an early riser maybe the circle line cruise starts early. I wouldn't stay on that boat for more than 75 minutes. It's a bit of a snooze.

What day are you using it? Some museums are open until 8 or 9 pm on Fridays.

Personally if I only had 1 day, I wouldn't waste any of it shopping.
But that's just me, what are you interested in?
Sep 12th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

I so appreciate all those of you who have left helpful comments and who were patient with me. We are going to use the passes on Tuesday Sept. 30th. I know have a good plan and will let you know how it went upon my return. Thanks much!
Sep 12th, 2008, 11:56 AM

MoMa (Museum of Modern Art) is closed Tuesdays