How do I get a deal on a NYC hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know all about Priceline and have used them for years. BUT I am wondering if there is a way to get deals without taking the crapshoot that is Priceline? I often read on Fodors that someone got a great price on a hotel and I wonder how? Can one get a competative price on expedia, hotels.com, orbitz, etc? I don't find their prices much lower than dealing with the hotel. We need a room for three nights in early June.
Old Mar 18th, 2011, 11:17 AM

I was reading your post and had a terrific plan for you, provided you were a good looking man/woman with a stylish wardrobe and some Botox. Then, you mentioned "we" and I realized my plan would only work for one person.

But seriously, I have found www.kayak.com offers pretty good pricing.
Old Mar 18th, 2011, 11:23 AM

If you don't want to do priceline or hotwire, I suggest just going to the hotel website. Thats what I do. It may be difficult to find a deal in June. It's a pretty popular time.
Old Mar 18th, 2011, 12:06 PM

Travelzoo is often mentioned here as a good source for NYC deals. It's been useful for me.

http://www.travelzoo.com/

~Liz
Old Mar 18th, 2011, 12:33 PM

quikbook.com is excellent. I have always found good deals for hotels in the heat of summer and prices don't generally start to climb again until September. As already stated, I too have also often found good deals to be had on the hotel's own website further discounted when I call the hotel reservationist directly. orbitz, expedia, travelocity, kayak, quikbook have all been great. I used oyster.com recently and had good results with them too. I've used travelzoo for hotels and also for last minute trip discounts as their discounts are short lived and often must be used soon after booking.

What are your dates and what's the budget?
Old Mar 18th, 2011, 02:03 PM

Perhaps the company you work for has a corporate code you can use when booking.
Old Mar 18th, 2011, 04:08 PM

Travelzoo and Quikbook sometimes have deals. But - if there are any, and how good they will be - depends very much on season - and even day of the week.

Also - it depends on what you mean by a deal. You can often get rates way below rack rate - but it may not be what you consider a deal in comparison with other cities - esp in high season (late Sept through New Years).

When are you coming? How many are you? What is your budget? People can make specific recos - or perhaps say your budget isn;t realistic.
Old Mar 18th, 2011, 04:50 PM

Call the hotels directly, not the central booking number. If they have space, they will make a deal. If you are flying in, check fly/stay package deals online.
Old Mar 18th, 2011, 06:17 PM

i used booking.com when i booked for june time, i got a much better deal on manhattan hotels than i thought i'd get, in the past i've used expedia but they werent giving much this time
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 01:00 AM

Here's another tip: If you're not 100% sure of your choice, book a hotel that's cancellable so you can continue to noodle around online, through the hotels' websites, or make a few calls in case you find something closer to your arrival time that you like better. Travelzoo changes their discounts on Tuesdays. I check quikbook.com fairly often when I'm planning a trip.
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 02:11 AM

do some homework first and decide what hotels you would like to stay in. Then go on the hotel website and signup for their email alerts. When deals come up they will notify you.
My daughter just booked Four Points Sheraton in Soho where every 2nd night was 40%off the usual rate.
We still get promotional details from hotels.
You can also try travelzoo.com. I booked Loews in Santa Monica for $159 per night where the usual rack rate is about $330. So you just need to sit down in front of your computer and start searching.
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 05:09 AM

Betterbidding.com NYC calender of winning bids on Priceline

not a "crap shoot" at all

always save A TONNE bidding priceline

Always get best values on MidTowns like the Hyatt

from $110 usually 50-70% off.

They even honor my preferred guest program

Hotelclub.com Otel.com Expedia/AARP and Directrooms.com

Offer substantial savings in some situations.

Hotel Park Savoy is a good econo at Central Park

I have stayed at some direct discounts from $90...

Happy Hunting,
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 06:47 AM

If you can't find anything in Manhattan, you might try the Ramada Inn in Jamaica Queens. It was built in abt 2006 I believe...rooms are very nice and about $90/night. Continental breakfast is included. It's a 30 minute subway ride into Manhattan. Subway station is two blocks from hotel. Neighborhood is multi-ethnic but you never feel unsafe. You can find reviews online.
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 08:38 AM

Mobissimo.com pulls up deals posted on several other sites and connects you to that site if you see a price that you like.
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 10:13 AM

You really do NOT want to stay in Jamaica - it's not multi-ethnic - it;s high crime.

If you cannot afford Manhattan consider (but carefully - look at reviews and location) hotels in Long Island City. Much closer to the city - and while often deserted at night, not unsafe.
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 10:59 AM

travelzoo.com and travel-ticker.com are good sources for hotel sales BUT they're usually only posted 1-3 months before a visit so it's early for June sales. oyster.com, booking.com quikbook.com kayak.com are good places to shop prices.

June in general is not a good time to find "deals." Hotel prices fluctuate by supply and demand and there's high demand then b/c of weddings and graduations and general good weather.

More and more I'm hearing twitter and facebook are a good source for hotel deals/promotion codes. I've also heard of people tweeting a particular hotel they like to ask about a special deal.
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 12:11 PM

McLaurie turned me on to Travelzoo several yrs ago. I find it gives me the best deals for NYC. April is a tough time for hotels in NYC, but Travelzoo came through and I just booked the Gild (a Thompson hotel) downtown for one of the weekends of the Tribeca Film Festival at the end of April for $109 a night! And I just got back from 3 nights at the New Yorker Hotel (across form Penn Station, love that location when I am taking the train or Bolt Bus) and on Travelzoo got a rm. with 2 queen beds, big renovated room, for $139 a night - leading right up to St. Patricks day. Those are excellent deals, and were totally refundable with 24 hrs notice before check-in.
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 12:13 PM

And next weekend staying at the Wyndham Garden Inn Times Square South (close to Penn station) w/free internet and bfast for $139 a night - again with Travelzoo.

June deals will come out around the 1st of April on Travelzoo. Check back every day - they are always posting new deals and some disappear fast.
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 03:11 PM

emd3: Thanks for that tip! I just booked a few nights at Gild Hall because of your post! I love that hotel.
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 08:03 PM

Cool, Bowsprit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -