How Do I become a Travel Agent?

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 08:00 AM
Posts: n/a
How Do I become a Travel Agent?

I found out I could recieve a comission when I rent my condo if I'm a licensed travel agent.I'm having trouble finding out how to become one in California.Can anyone help?
Old Apr 26th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Posts: n/a
go to and look on the lower left. click on "become a travel agent today" I am an agent with company also and I get commission on every trip I take.
Old Apr 26th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Posts: n/a
Go to the ASTA site, they can advise you how to apply for a license.
Old Apr 26th, 2002, 08:22 PM
Posts: n/a
The point in being a travel agent, william, isn't to make commission on every trip YOU take, that is nothing more than a rebate. The point, is to make commission on what you sell, and to be proffessional and advise your clients, the global travel thing is nothing more than a card mill, which is illegal, but this company found a loop hole. *earn commission on every trip I take* that is soooo stupid it's laughable. I bet if you used a real TA, that you would get a better deal, even after your "rebate" of commission.
You guys make the rest of us look bad.

Joe, you don't have to be a TA to rent out your condo, it would simply be a matter of placing an add, advertising, ect... you would be making a profit, but not commission, as we know it.
Old Apr 27th, 2002, 01:55 PM
An agent
Posts: n/a
Without sounding like the know it all jerk that I am, I have to say this:

I think your brilliant! What a great idea. Become a travel agent and get commission for selling something you already own! That is how I have kept a roof over my head. I charge people 200 dollars an hour for my excellent advice on my own condo in hawaii.

Then I rebate my own commission. Brilliant! I save my clients nothing, and make major bucks for myself and I get to make the other TA's look bad by saying how wonderful I am by rebating my commission!



Old Apr 27th, 2002, 05:26 PM
Posts: n/a
Let me clarify.Our condo is rented primarily through the on-site rental company who does the marketing, booking,collection,maint.etc.
If we find a renter on our own(family,friend or co-worker)we refer them to the rental agency.The agency told us that we could receive a 10% comission if we were travel agents.
Can I just declare myself to be a travel agent and join ASTA,or do I require a permit from agovernmental agency?
Old Apr 27th, 2002, 07:33 PM
Posts: n/a
You can't just "decide" to be a TA. Go talk to a travel agency, they may be able to help you. But being a TA is a real job, not just collecting commission.
Old Apr 27th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Posts: n/a
Since when?
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Africa & the Middle East
Aug 26th, 2009 09:50 AM
Air Travel
Jan 8th, 2009 08:00 AM
Caribbean Islands
May 11th, 2004 12:27 PM
United States
Feb 21st, 2004 12:26 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:44 AM.