Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How did you feel the first time you flew post September 11?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 01:33 PM
Sherry

We're getting ready to take our first trip since the events of September 11 and frankly it's a bit unnerving. I live in Boston and we're flying across country. If it were anywhere else! I know that most seasoned travelers would say "just do it" and they wouldn't even think about it but I guess I'm not most people. I'm hoping people here will be willing to share how they felt the first time they boarded a plane after the events of Sept 11.

Thank you. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 01:45 PM
Mike Hocksbigg

you will feel better once you enter the airport, security is stepped up and people are more aware.

I have flown twice and never gave it a second thought.

Have fun

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 01:57 PM
joan

It felt good to defy the terrorists! After all, their whole goal is to incite terror. If we continue to fly, we defeat that goal.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 02:39 PM
Debbie

Sherry,I was on vacation in Fort Lauderdale,Florida from September 8
till the 12th and ended up being till the 16th.I was so upset by what had happened I did not even give my flight a thought.I just wanted to get home.I live in New York State.
A vacation I'll never forget and hope it's a tragic event that will
never happen again.I went on 4 trips
last year.Security is stepped up and
I felt completely safe.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 02:42 PM
philip

I've had to fly in late September on several business trips. Subsequent to 9/11, I've been about 6 different roundtrips.

The one noticeable change, in terms of my own reaction, is that I now pay very close attention to my fellow passengers as they board. In the past, I'd board and pull out a newspaper or look out the window.

Since 9/11, and probably more because I work a block from the WTC site and lost several friends, I have made sure that I have an updayed copy of my will. I also felt an obligation to make sure that my family had clear instructions for the care of my son when my wife accompanied me on a business trip to Vegas in November. Both my wife and I also significantly increased our life insurance policies as we both travel on business, frequently.

I've found that I'm much more willing to tolerate delays if it helps to ensure safety.

I try not to think to much about when I'm flying. But, I did want to make sure that if something happens, my family is financially protected.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 04:02 PM
Jayelle

For me, thinking about it was much worse than actually doing it. I made my first post-Sept. 11th trip over the Thanksgiving holidays. I wasn't nearly as nervous as I had expected to be once I got to the airport. Security lines are longer so be prepared for that. Also, try checking in curbside if you can. That will save you a lot of time. I too have to admit that I now watch much more closely to see who else is boarding my flight, which is kind of sad. In any case, I figure the odds that anything will happen to my particular flight are very slim, so its not worth torturing yourself over. Go and enjoy.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 04:10 PM
traveller

It was unnerving to see National Guard at the airports. Kind of like European or South American countries. They did not make me feel safe, though, the National Guard was boys and girls, not more than 20 years old and seemingly nervous as hell.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 04:17 PM
Ashleigh

I flew 3 1/2 weeks after the attacks - I'll admit, I was nervous, but I wasn't about to cancel my trip that I had scheduled months ago. Once we took off, I was ok.

At least now, they've stepped up security and are now searching everyone thoroughly.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 04:42 PM
Ed

I agree with what someone else observed. Anticipation was much worse than the actual event. I felt very safe seeing the extra security measures. So go and enjoy.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 05:04 PM
suzanne

I flew on Sept. 20th from NYC to Michigan to see a UM football game. It was wonderful because the airports were nearly deserted, and it was great to get away from the sadness (and the burning smell) of NY.

Also since then I've flown to Korea and all around Thailand. No problems there. I've also went to Florida last week...OK, THAT was a little scary because we lost an electrical system and had to make an emergency landing. My biggest fear of flying has always been related to mechanical failure and not terrorism...and I still feel this way. I'm pretty confident with the security measures at the airports.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 05:05 PM
rqf

Flew out of NY on Oct. 4, returned Oct. 8. Was a bit uneasy the days before the flight but all apprehension disappeared once at the airport. Took a second trip in late November and never gave it a second thought.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 05:34 PM
Celeste

I flew from Orlando to Newport, RI on Sept. 16 and it was a bit unnerving when the man waiting next to me at the gate was led away by five policemen! I never found out why.

But the flight was wonderful, the weather was beautiful, and everything was crystal clear. When we flew to the east of Manhattan, the plane became silent as we looked at the smoke in lower Manhattan that was still heavy. But before we knew it, we were on our approach to Newport and it was okay again.

I flew back from Newport two weeks later and it was uneventful. I'm ready to fly again this March.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 06:09 PM
Bob Brown

On September 20 I flew from Munich to Philadelphia. Security at the Munich airport was tight, and professional.
When I got to Philadelphia, it was loose and amateurish, even farcical.
A terrorist could have easily slipped through the sieve of security.
American airport authorities reacted with chaos and bewilderment because it is all they know how to do.

As for putting National Guard troops out there, they might as well have brought in trained attack geese -- you know the Quack Attack. (I say this will due respect and admiration for the accomplishments of the University of Oregon and its ,pst excellent football team. I still think Oregon was robbed by that ape theater outfit known as the BCS. U Oregon should have been in the Rose Bowl; not some team that gave up 62 points and could not win its own conference championship.)

The farce of US airport security continued with the incident of the man who slipped by security at Hartsfield Airport. Panic city. First the bumblers could not find the guy even though as far as I know he was making no particular effort to hide. Then they panicked and shut down the WHOLE airport all the while running around like beheaded chickens screaming terrorist attack. Then after they found the poor guy, he was blamed for the poor security organization and fuzz brained set of procedures that were in effect. It makes you wonder what would have happened if real terrorists had tried to get in. The poor guy who exercised bad judgement would have been a pefect diversion for a more sinister operation. As it is, we should probably thank him for exposing the idiots who organize US Airport security rather than making him the victim of incompetency.

I could not help but contrast their fumbling amateurism in Atlanta with the cold, steely eyed professionals I had to satisfy in Munich. First, no one, but no one was going to get around security, either coming or going.
There were armed guards outside the security gate as a first line of defense, then was the security gate itself with xray equipment and skilled inspectors, and then there was a third line of defense after you cleared xray. Some people were checking, others were watching. Most of the watchers were either Border Patrol soldiers or security agents in business suits. None of these Keystone Kops funny unis that American checkers wear.
Had any one tried to bolt past those Border Patrol soldiers, they would have had a good chance of being run down and whacked over the head. Those guys were lean and looked like they meant business to the nth degree.
But come to think of it, no body checked my shoes!!

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 04:22 AM
nina

We flew NY to Bermuda in the beginning of October and returned the day after war broke out. My mother-in-law actually called us asking if we were coming home immediately (not a chance).

I was slightly nervous a few days before flying but the day of the trip, I was too focused on getting to the airport on time, traffic, etc., etc., that I didn't have time to be nervous. I was very calm and not worried the rest of the trip and on the returning flight. The extra security and National Guard were reassuring.

We now have a trip in March with the kids, and I'm a little nervous about reassuring THEM. I can't be nervous or they'll sense that so I just have to occupy myself with the details of the trip, ets.

I think you should try not to dwell on it and you'll be fine. Worrying is counter productive and whatever happens is out of your control anyway. Just think of all of the succesful flights since 9/11!

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 06:38 AM
Arabella

I flew to California from the East Coast in December. I was one of the last people to board and was startled to see that my seatmate was Middle Eastern. I know, I know, we shouldn't profile, but it was unnerving. I was wearing high-heeled clogs, which are quite heavy, and was ready to bean him. Turns out that he was a fellow vegetarian and a nice man.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 06:45 AM
xxx

My husband has flown on one business trip from DIA (Denver) since then, and that will be quite enough for us until some real, meaningful changes are made in airport security. He was practically made to strip, removing clothing, shoes, belt, etc....which he was O.K. with, except for the fact that the group of Middle Eastern-looking men that everyone in the airport was eyeballing sailed past the politically correct "keystone cops" while grandmas, kids and business people were being strip searched. It's the same minimum wage "security" that existed before, when what we really need are law enforcement professionals who are trained to -- yes, here's the dirty word -- PROFILE the most likely terrorists.

Oh yes, the seat pitches are still unbearable and there was no meal service from Denver to the Southeastern U.S. -- and his company paid over $1,000 for the ticket. IMO, airlines are still gouging the public with their cheap, unskilled labor force, shoddy approach to safety (apparently it's let the passengers beware and ready to pounce on terrorists) and penurious cutbacks, so thanks, but no thanks.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 07:41 AM
kal

Aloha

I had 3 trips canceled due to 9-11 (2 business meetings and 1 pleasure to NOLA on 9-13) so our trip to Kauai on 12-30 was my first.

I wish my doctor would inspect my body as well as the security people did at SFO. They took my Chicago House of Blues cigar cutter. Minor sacrifice for safety.

We had the direct from SF to Lihue-Kauai and while I'm normally not a nervous flier, I was ready to jump outta my skin the first hour of the flight. Finally relaxed and had no prob. on the filght home. Odd.

Arabella-great story. Better safe than sorry. I noticed a lot of people giving each other "the eye" as they were boarding.
Kal

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 08:20 AM
bennie

I flew on Nov 1 from Boston to Reagan National in DC. I didn't feel any fear for flying but did experience overwhelming sadness. Sadness for the individuals who took flights that morning not knowing what they were in for and for their survivors, sadness for the individuals at the Pentagon and World Traded Centers, sadness for our nation and our loss of innocence. The enhanced security only reinforced my feelings.

Since then I've flown 3 other roundtrips with no qualms. Though I'm a little sickened to see some people respond to the security measures with open hostility. I guess they want everyone but themselves searched.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 08:44 AM
Get

I agree with the ridiculous notion of political correctness which still prevails. Which is more important to you, someone's feelings getting hurt or the lives of 200+ passengers on a plane, not to mention any potential ground target lives?

Personally, the only instance I've heard of regarding complete non-cooperation with security measures was the Arab-American secret service agent...you know, the guy who left his bag on his seat and wandered off, complete with the book about the Arab view of the Crusades, and oh yes, the illegible paperwork he carried stating that he was allowed by law to bring a gun onto the plane. No one else seems to have a problem with security measures except this guy, who was, strangely enough, on his way to his "presidential protection" job. That would be par for the terrorists, wouldn't it? One of their operatives is an agent assigned to "protect" the president.

Sorry to hear that some of you are "sad" about the realities of the world, but for me, I don't want your rose-colored glasses to be my death warrant on an aircraft.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 08:54 AM
Response to Sherry

There are a lot posts here and also some very good advice. My comment is not about the security at a particular airport, or who got stopped and who didn't it is simply to say that if you are feeling a little scared and you really do want to get on the plane, remember this: If Lisa Beamer can get on a plane, you can do it to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -